Join for free
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 02:51 PM

Putting Around

I bought a BV250 Piaggio scooter a few months back to run around town as well as commute to work. My regular ride, a 2008 Triumph Rocket III Touring is a gas hog with all the traffic lights I must deal with around Portland, OR. The 66-70 mpg I get with the scooter is twice that of the big bike and a lot more nimble.

I had about 400 miles on the Piaggio when I decided to check out how it would do on a longer ride. I took it out on Highway 26W to Seaside, a 70 mile ride one way. I held the speed down to 60, although the scooter has a top speed of 75. The 135 mile round trip yielded me 66 mpg using 2 gallons of mid-grade gas. It's a blast riding this little bike and is surprisingly comfortable. I stopped once on the way to the coast for coffee as it was in the low 40s that early in the morning. The lower fairing protects my legs from the wind but the shortie windscreen does nothing to protect my head and hands. Unlike my Triumph I have no heated grips on the scooter.

Still, I had a ball. The scooter is a lot of fun to ride and is so economical I'll probably use it a lot in warmer weather. Holding 2.6 gallons of gas that 135 miles during my test runs is just about the maximum range on a ride without filling up. That's pretty respectable for a single cylinder putter. I enjoyed the ride and now have 500 miles on my new toy.

dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Re: Putting Around

I know your gallons are slightly smaller than ours Bob but .... our VW Golf deisel, 1600cc does 66 to the gallon!
I'm glad you're enjoying the scooter though. Is that the same company that makes a 3 wheel scooter? I might be keen on that, to pop up and down to town ... but then I think - rain, cold, wind, and think no, maybe not!
Keep enjoying yours. Has it got a name - or is it only daft folk like me who name their vehicles?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 04:32 PM

Nice little bike and as you say it compliments the big beasty just fine - so you have the best of both worlds. I take it any mention of a car in winter would bring on a load of cursing and swearing
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 04:53 PM

I really like that Bob, I could imagine myself going out and about on one like that.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 05:26 PM

Nice bike Bob!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Has it got a name - or is it only daft folk like me who name their vehicles?

No your not on your own Dinahsmum, I give my cars names as well. My current car is called Ruby because of her colour-I've also had Big Bertha, Doris and Starlight!!!

That looks a very nifty bike for 'putting around' on-could manage that myself.
Glad you enjoyed your trip
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2009, 11:12 PM

That's lovely!! I adore Piaggios

And yes DM; Piaggio have recently been awarded UK distribution rights for the iconic Ape (accent on the 'e'; pronounced appay).

This summer whilst in Italy Dominik was absolutely taken with these vehicles to the point where I had to buy him a trio of toy ones in navy, red and green. The young lads in Le Marche were customising their Apes with lights, go faster stripes, bull bars, chrome etc. It was SOOO cool

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top