Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Re: Aldi - quality food at good prices

yes got Aldi in OZ - cheapest bourbon in my state - selection limited but that's OK - I don't expect them to compete with Coles or Woolworths - they give a more special service - draw back for me - only have trollies - no baskets to carry around - so have to take ya own or take a trolly for one box of chicken stocks!
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 10:03 AM

Aldi is not near enough to use regularly but when passing I buy 2 x medium size chickens and 2 gammon joints and lots of tins of anchovies (I love them). The medium chickens are the equivalent of everyone else's large.

Do not buy Aldi own brand flour.... it is half the price but makes dreadful pastry, I thought it was me but went back to Homepride and all was well.
Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 02:54 AM

M & M all flours are not the same quality. The wheats and grains all have different grades. Flour Mills order in the quality of grains they want from the farmers.

Daughter is in charge of the Laboratory and ordering here in Adelaide and the different grains are ordered according to their content/quality and are batch tested to make sure they are the right quality.

Each bakery orders their own mix.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 04:30 AM

I like Aldi, and find their fruit and veg better than other supermarkets. And they are selling a wine that I like for 2 euros a bottle less than at Tesco! Not so keen on Lidl, though. But Lidl do have nice bread, which can be hard to get in my local area.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
When I get the chance, I look into 'Home bargains', B&M or the various 'Pound' shops. I look for offers on branded food goods, but it's usually a case of 'buy it when you see it' because it probably won't be there the next time.
I don't mind shopping at Aldi...but my nearest is so busy that the car park is always full to bursting, with cars parked in every available space in the streets adjacent..people queuing up to get into these roads..short tempers..road rage..no thanks!
However I do like a walk round the pound shop..I recently found a face cream..all written in french..so it was virtually ignored..but having lived in France and speaking fluent French I quickly realised that it was ''Lancome'' and £70 a tube in France...
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 04:37 PM

We bought some Pork Chops from Aldi on Thursday and had 'em yesterday.

Now I don't work for Aldi nor do I have any reason to promote them at all but those Chops were the nicest I've tasted for bloody years!

My wife's a good cook but so am I and WE decide how to cook things the best for our tastes so we did it slow & simple, with a few herbs & spices but the meat just fell-off the bone!

If you don't shop at Aldi just try something ONCE to see what they are like - honestly! stevmk2
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:34 PM

Y'all must have a different Aldi than we do here.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 04:04 AM

Aldi and Lidl are both brilliant, but for different reasons, and I shop in them both. Luckily for me, they are both within a mile or so of each other from where I live.

Talking about parking space. I go to Lidl on a Saturday afternoon at around 4 p.m. and at that time there's lots of parking space, so if you go early, then you'll probably find the stores packed with little space to park, so go at 4 or 5 p.m. when it's quieter. That's what I do.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 06:39 AM

Funny you mention Aldi. I went there yesterday for the first time ever. I found it very strange walking round with no background music, and everyone seemed very subdued, almost like they were sedated or something! Also, although I spent about half of what I normally do, that was because they only had limited goods, so I still need to visit one of the big four to stock up on other items I usually buy. They seem OK for basic essentials though, but very odd to see camping gear and shoes in cages next to tinned salmon - and their bread selection was awful. Still, I can see why people go there for some things. I don't think I'll be going back though.
shazy
lancashire
shazy is female  shazy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 04:36 PM

I go to Aldi shopping, and like the Wholemeal Bread and Baps..
I buy lots of things, but there are some brands I go else where for.
The Brandy is good quality, been buying it years...lol
Their Face Ceam is brilliant, lovely and smooth and cheap, was once on tv
as best product..on Gok Wan prog..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top