Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:14 AM

Re: Sir Keir Starmer: PM is pretending there isn’t a problem with testing

Originally Posted by TessA ->
The opposition are there to pick out failures etc. by the Government and question them. That's why they're called "Opposition".
Keir Starmer has offered to work together with them but they ignore him.
He can't help them sort things out if they don't see anything wrong in what their doing and refuse to take any other views into account.
Boris can't even reply properly to questions, he just waffles and ends up bringing up either irrelevant stuff that the Government are doing or slagging off Labour who have no power to do anything.
Exactly .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:24 AM

The opposition are there to pick out failures etc. by the Government and question them. That's why they're called "Opposition".
Keir Starmer has offered to work together with them but they ignore him.
He can't help them sort things out if they don't see anything wrong in what their doing and refuse to take any other views into account.
Boris can't even reply properly to questions, he just waffles and ends up bringing up either irrelevant stuff that the Government are doing or slagging off Labour who have no power to do anything.
Perhaps the Government have a concern that the leader of the opposition might not keep some of the discussions confidential.

Far be it from me to suggest that he might leak some of the thinking for his own personal gain.

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Perhaps the Government have a concern that the leader of the opposition might not keep some of the discussions confidential.

Far be it from me to suggest that he might leak some of the thinking for his own personal gain.

What do you mean .....

Don't be shy .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 11:54 AM

The purpose of the Opposition is NOT to hold the government to account. It is to play devils advocate. Nothing more.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

24-09-2020, 03:35 PM

Problem with testing: Test turnaround times getting longer in England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54281071

Only 28% of tests carried out in these venues came back in 24 hours in the week up to 16 September.

That is down from one in three last week, and two in three the week before, NHS Test and Trace said.

Just over 5% of tests took more than three days to turn around. It comes as the government is struggling to increase lab capacity to process tests.

Access to community testing has had to be rationed because the network of 5 (private sector) Lighthouse Labs, which process tests done in the community, are struggling to keep up with demand.

Testing carried out in NHS hospitals is processed by their own labs, and nine in 10 test results are provided in 24 hours.
BJ's bluster can't hide Harding's incompetence .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 03:42 PM

For those not happy with Boris - or Starmer, tell me something . .

Who would you vote for if there was another big election?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

25-09-2020, 11:35 AM

Where IS Dido Harding, Head of NHS Test and Trace, Chair of NHS Improvement.....

In the middle of a second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, with a record number of cases per day and the apparent collapse of private sector testing just as the autumn surge (which she says she had not foreseen!) begins, and the prospect of another 500,000 cases and 50,000 deaths before the New Year, the incompetent baroness is nowhere to be seen ......

Apart from her appearance before the Science and Technology Committee last week, when she "glibbed" her way through some less than persistent questioning, she has not made a public appearance in a month .....

Perhaps her other job, as a board member of the Jockey Club, is claiming most of her time - there are lots of race meetings going on and horse-racing is her passion (she holds 25 career wins as an amateur jockey. She is also the owner of Cool Dawn, the winner at the 1998 Cheltenham Gold Cup). Coincidentally, the government's decision to allow mass gatherings, such as the Cheltenham Festival (run by the Jockey Club), which attracted over 250,000 people between 10 and 13 March 2020, was one of the worst examples of BJ and his cronies ignoring the obvious danger of infection and putting people’s health at risk .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

28-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Still no sign of Dido, but here are the experiences of two of thousands who signed up to work for England's, i.e. Dido's, coronavirus test-and-trace system.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54284095

Alex Lee, a former BBC journalist who retrained as a healthcare professional, was hired as a clinical contact caseworker to call people who had tested positive to tell them to self-isolate and obtain details of their close contacts. During the four months she was working for the service, she spent most of her time in her front room, doing very little, clicking a button labelled "start tracing". In the end, she spoke to just one person who had tested positive for the virus.

Tobin Stonelake was also hired by NHS Test and Trace. His job was to call the contacts of positive cases. He says he made no successful contact tracing calls for the 10 weeks he was working for the service.

An unofficial Facebook support group, which later shut down, featured similar complaints from other clinical contact caseworkers.

Alex, who kept a video diary of her time with NHS Test and Trace, recorded herself looking at the group in June and reading out comments including: "Haven't had a case in days."

Others wrote: "Something tells me the system isn't working properly", and "surely there have been positive results for the country", and another said: "there must be... the mind boggles."

During the time she worked for NHS Test and Trace, Alex also encountered system errors which prevented her from logging in, booking shifts, reviewing her training and following up cases.

She regularly called team leaders and was told that the issues were widespread and affecting other tracers. Those technical problems have continued into September.

Panorama spoke to 19 coronavirus tracers who expressed concerns about a similar lack of work, or technical problems.
I know that Dido likes to get money for old rope but the tracers signed up to "make a difference" and not just twiddle their thumbs .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2020, 09:36 PM

If you down load that track and trace thingy to your phone and you go to a supermarket where someone has tested positive do you and every other person, including staff, in that supermarket have to self isolate for 10 days? Even if you have not been anywhere near the infected person. What happened to the 15 minute chat rule or whatever it was 999 rules ago?

I only go to supermarkets and very few other shops, if they tell me to isolate that means my family that I have been meeting with will also have to isolate and miss work and school!
Is that right?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

29-09-2020, 01:30 AM

If you down load that track and trace thingy to your phone and you go to a supermarket where someone has tested positive do you and every other person, including staff, in that supermarket have to self isolate for 10 days? Even if you have not been anywhere near the infected person. What happened to the 15 minute chat rule or whatever it was 999 rules ago?

I only go to supermarkets and very few other shops, if they tell me to isolate that means my family that I have been meeting with will also have to isolate and miss work and school!
Is that right?
I have the app and, apparently, this is how it works:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54250736

When two devices (phones) running the app are close to each other, they exchange Bluetooth "handshakes" to determine the distance and duration, measured in sessions lasting five minutes.

The measurements are not always accurate - and work continues to improve them - but the logs are used to create a cumulative points score for the set of interactions between two people over the course of a day.

If the points threshold is met and one of the two owners later shares a positive coronavirus test via the app, then the other will receive an alert.

Isolation seems to be a complex process for groups but the main advice is:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-19-infection

If you live with others, all other household members must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the household became ill or if they do not have symptoms, from the day their test was taken. If anyone else in the household starts displaying symptoms, they must stay at home for at least 10 days from when their symptoms appear, regardless of what day they are on in their original 14-day isolation period.
If you or your family need to seek medical advice

Seek prompt medical attention if your illness or the illness of someone in your household is worsening. If it’s not an emergency, contact the NHS 111 online COVID-19 service. If you have no internet access, call NHS 111.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top