Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 12:48 PM

Coronavirus: Restrictions for England to be standardised into three tiers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54371943

The government is to push ahead with a new "three-tier" approach to coronavirus restrictions in local areas of England, the BBC understands. The Department of Health confirmed last month the system was being considered - but it has now been signed off by government officials and politicians.

An announcement has yet to be made as to when the system will start, but the government's aim is to replace the patchwork of existing Covid-19 restrictions across the country.

Areas that fall into tier one will have fewer than 100 cases per 100,000 of population and will need to adhere to national restrictions - such as the "rule of six" and social distancing.

Tier two would kick in where cases are above 100 per 100,000. Restrictions for these areas would be similar to those currently in place in large parts of northern England, such as bans on household meetings.

And tier three areas would have significantly higher rates and would face full lockdowns - excluding schools and essential businesses, like supermarkets.
The BBC understands there are concerns within Public Health England at the speed of the transition. But there is also an acknowledgement the new system could "simplify and rationalise the current set up".
Is this the end of the "shambles" .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 01:40 PM

Re: Coronavirus: Restrictions for England to be standardised into three tiers

Hopefully it'll clarify & make sense to confused people all over England anyway.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 02:35 PM

Are you sure that it's a 100 per 100k? I just had a look at the dot gov site and the nearest to 100 is Orkneys at 103 but every other local authority is way over so we would therefore be on stage 3! Also what would be the "significantly higher" stage 3 kick in? Perhaps it's about incremental increases of 100 per 100k?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Are you sure that it's a 100 per 100k? I just had a look at the dot gov site and the nearest to 100 is Orkneys at 103 but every other local authority is way over so we would therefore be on stage 3! Also what would be the "significantly higher" stage 3 kick in? Perhaps it's about incremental increases of 100 per 100k?
The numbers aren't mine - they're in the quote ..... the article says "When all areas are 'mapped' onto the new system, it is not believed any areas will be moved to level three at this stage."

We'll have to wait for an official release for reliable detail.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 03:19 PM

I had a look at other articles and it seems it's just the BBC article that is specifying the 100 per 100k. It's from a memo so possibly just an example someone gave to illustrate rather than the actual limits planned. Perhaps it was 1000 rather than 100.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 04:35 PM

The BBC itself could help the confusion by not banging on about it every second of the News. I'm sick of seeing 'experts' peering into a badly positioned web cams giving their opinion. All the BBC (and other channels) need to do is display the rules on screen for a few moments and leave it at that.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 05:07 PM

I think Devon is tier one at present even with another few Covid19 sufferers. I hope so anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I think Devon is tier one at present even with another few Covid19 sufferers. I hope so anyway.
East Devon and Torridge.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

01-10-2020, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
East Devon and Torridge.
South Hams?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-10-2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
South Hams?
Not sure. Just heard it on BBC Devon earlier.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top