Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2020, 08:19 PM

Re: Covid: Sage scientists called for short lockdown weeks ago

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I admire your confidence ..... ..... have you ever thought of volunteering:

10,000 volunteers needed for coronavirus vaccine trial

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...ccine-18999113

If you believe in "herd immunity" then why not become one of the "herd" .....
I'm afraid I won't be having the vaccine Omah. I'll take my chances with the virus if I'm unlucky enough to get infected.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2020, 09:03 PM

A short lock down would be pointless because it will not stop the virus from spreading. Granted it would halt the spread for the duration of the short lockdown but once the short lockdown has ended and people start going about their normal lives, the virus would spread again, just like it is at the present moment.

Too many people just do not care and as such the virus will never be able to be contained. Just look at the numerous media reports of students hosting large parties, DJ's making illegal raves, funerals and weddings hosting large numbers, pub's not controlling the amount of people they serve, business who should be controlling convid-19 safety rules within their premises but they don't because they are scared of the public getting angry and attacking them.

The government should be changing tact and telling the country how it should live with the virus rather than trying to avoid it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2020, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
A short lock down would be pointless because it will not stop the virus from spreading. Granted it would halt the spread for the duration of the short lockdown but once the short lockdown has ended and people start going about their normal lives, the virus would spread again, just like it is at the present moment.

Too many people just do not care and as such the virus will never be able to be contained. Just look at the numerous media reports of students hosting large parties, DJ's making illegal raves, funerals and weddings hosting large numbers, pub's not controlling the amount of people they serve, business who should be controlling convid-19 safety rules within their premises but they don't because they are scared of the public getting angry and attacking them.

The government should be changing tact and telling the country how it should live with the virus rather than trying to avoid it.

That's an interesting point Dodge, because I don't think anything is going to stop it until it's ready.

Boris certainly can't stop it, but neither can any of the other useless loudmouth politicians who do nothing but criticize.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2020, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Boris has to look after the population from a medical point of view, and he also has to balance that with the economy, from a financial point of view. He is between a rock and a hard place!

Lots of people are going to die either way, and what good is beating the virus going to do if there is nothing but unemployment, poverty and food shortages?

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm afraid I won't be having the vaccine Omah. I'll take my chances with the virus if I'm unlucky enough to get infected.

Originally Posted by Dodge ->

Couldn't have put it better myself.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2020, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Along with europe/ north america/ south america/ lndia etc! etc
Why the focus on an insignificant tiny island in the north sea???

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
I agree with you Assman but the attention on this forum centres around that "insignificant tiny island in the north sea" so that was the report I included. However for those interested in the broader implications:

I hope that helps.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2020, 10:13 PM

They would, they will still have a Job, once the mist lifts.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 01:07 AM

Covid: Health secretary defends three-tier strategy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54527203

Measures to tackle a rise in Covid cases were "guided by science", the health secretary has said, amid criticism expert advice was ignored. Documents have revealed government scientific advisers called for a short lockdown, or "circuit-breaker", in England, three weeks ago.

Another 143 people have died in the UK after testing positive for coronavirus. This compares with 50 deaths announced on Monday and was the highest daily total since 164 deaths on 10 June.

The data also shows another 17,234 people have tested positive for Covid, compared with 13,792 cases the day before.

Dr Yvonne Doyle, Public Health England's medical director, called the rising number of deaths "hugely concerning". "We have seen cases increasing, especially in older age groups, which is leading to more hospital admissions. This is a stark reminder for us to follow the guidelines," she said.
OTOH, some would prefer to "take our chances", "learn to live with it" and acquire (so-called) "herd immunity" .....
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 08:54 AM

Locking down is the last thing we should be doing. When we un-lock infection rates will rise again and then we will be in this endless cycle of lock-unlock-lock until we have nothing left of our economy, businesses or jobs.

Boris is doing the right thing, getting the economy up and running and ignoring SAGE's advice because so far it's solved nothing. I'm pretty sure the strategy now is herd immunity (like Sweden) based on age group with local restrictions to keep a lid on things. Something like this...

The least vulnerable are young people, so first back out of lock-down are the under 6 year groups, then the under 16's. Next up is students - get them back in halls of residence and lock them down so they get COVID-19 and don't bring it back home to their towns and pass it on to elderly relatives over Christmas.

Then, the middle ages groups, after having been exposed to their kids having COVID-19 will have had it already (I've read some reports of 80% in th 25-40 age bracket). For everyone else (mostly the over 60's) we can use anti-virals (such as Remdesivir) to slow infections before people get symptomatic, avoid people going to hospital in the first place or getting poorly.

That kind of thing....

The last part is having a method for the public to gauge their behaviour. For this, put in the 3 tier traffic light system so people know that if they continue break the guidelines they will get their pubs closed etc just like Liverpool did. They already know where they are on the scale of Medium, High, Very High so it acts as a deterrent more than anything.

Starmer saying we need a "circuit break" is just a political stunt. He is 6 weeks behind the times. He needs to concentrate on doing his job and get a real strategy together to be an effective opposition.

Whitty and Valance need to be fired, they are giving us the wrong solutions.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Locking down is the last thing we should be doing. When we un-lock infection rates will rise again and then we will be in this endless cycle of lock-unlock-lock until we have nothing left of our economy, businesses or jobs.

Boris is doing the right thing, getting the economy up and running and ignoring SAGE's advice because so far it's solved nothing. I'm pretty sure the strategy now is herd immunity (like Sweden) based on age group with local restrictions to keep a lid on things. Something like this...

The least vulnerable are young people, so first back out of lock-down are the under 6 year groups, then the under 16's. Next up is students - get them back in halls of residence and lock them down so they get COVID-19 and don't bring it back home to their towns and pass it on to elderly relatives over Christmas.

Then, the middle ages groups, after having been exposed to their kids having COVID-19 will have had it already (I've read some reports of 80% in th 25-40 age bracket). For everyone else (mostly the over 60's) we can use anti-virals (such as Remdesivir) to slow infections before people get symptomatic, avoid people going to hospital in the first place or getting poorly.

That kind of thing....

The last part is having a method for the public to gauge their behaviour. For this, put in the 3 tier traffic light system so people know that if they continue break the guidelines they will get their pubs closed etc just like Liverpool did. They already know where they are on the scale of Medium, High, Very High so it acts as a deterrent more than anything.

Starmer saying we need a "circuit break" is just a political stunt. He is 6 weeks behind the times. He needs to concentrate on doing his job and get a real strategy together to be an effective opposition.

Whitty and Valance need to be fired, they are giving us the wrong solutions.
Good post Bread....
We should take responsibility for our own health and not always rely on the government to nursemaid us. We all know what to do to avoid catching covid, so if you don't want to catch it, do what you think is best and don't moan if somebody doesn't agree with your methods.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-10-2020, 11:17 AM

A brief word from Keir Starmer.....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1316318200380960768

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top