Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 06:52 PM

Re: French to Replace English with Latin as Europes Official Language

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I took Latin at school too, I quite enjoyed it but unfortunately it was useless to me in the wide world.
I can say the Our Father , Hail Mary and sing the Tantum Ergo in Latin courtesy of my Catholic schooling .The Latin Mass was quite beautiful .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I can say the Our Father , Hail Mary and sing the Tantum Ergo in Latin courtesy of my Catholic schooling .The Latin Mass was quite beautiful .
That sounds lovely, Muddy ... at least you were able to put a use to your Latin.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I took Latin at school too, I quite enjoyed it but unfortunately it was useless to me in the wide world.

Good for almost understanding doctor's prescriptions.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Same here. I chose German and still failed it at O Level. I can still speak a little German but nowhere near as much as I can Italian or French.

You only need the important words Percy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

17-03-2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Well, possibly. There are quite a few common Latin words in English.
Status quo, subpoena, ad nauseam, etc so maybe not so useless.
There are although I quite often don't know what they mean and have to look them up.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
English is an International language, the French cannot deny that.

Ineptias
The French Navy Sailors have the name of their ship, on their hats, in English!

Well, they would look odd with French Letters up there!

Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2021, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
The French Navy Sailors have the name of their ship, on their hats, in English!

Well, they would look odd with French Letters up there!

Rude I suppose.............
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Surely Keezoy for the average student it would be just as helpful to study a living Latin language such as Spanish your son is a linguist most people are not .learning one Latin language makes another much easier . Spanish is the third spoken language of the world and is understood in Portugal and Italy to an extent .
Muddy I think it's useful for anybody to learn any language other than their own. I've stated to learn some Dharug and Eora words - the languages of the first nation people of the Sydney Basin. I am quite proud of myself actully I ran past Peter what you said there. he doesn't disagree with anything you've said. He speaks conversational Spanish and French. But he did say that you don't have to be a linguist to learn Latin and it gives you a great head start with al latin based languages. Even Romanian which is also Latin based. The only problem I have with what has been said here is the claim that Latin is "Dead language"...THat is so wrong.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 05:27 AM

French used to be the international telecommunications language. I was paid 104 pounds a year by the GPO to speak it when I worked on the Eurovision link from Tolsford Hill to Lille and the under sea cable links between Dover and Bologne/Calais. It might well still be.

Personally I doubt English is the most spoken language in the world there are 1.4 billion Chinese in China and gawd knows how many Chinese living in just about every country in the world who also speak Mandarin. More so now that Cantonese is not taught.

If you travel in any Asian country these days you are far more likely to find a Chinese speaking local than an English speaking local purely because of the number of Chinese tourists.

BTW I learned Latin at school, great stories useless language.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2021, 09:27 AM

Naturally, Chinese will always be the language spoken by the most people just because of the sheer number of Chinese. Yet what is usually meant by the question under discussion is which language is most widely spoken as a second or foreign language the world over and that is and will remain English. Everything else is just wishful thinking advocated by some politicians and as part of language politics of some countries or political/economic unions. There's no chance for Latin or French to replace English as a lingua franca.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top