Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:09 PM

Von der Leyen advises parliament ratification of the deal

On this point of compliance, I know that there was some reluctance in different parts of the House on whether it is right to ratify this Agreement when existing commitments are not being respected by one side. I agree with you that this Agreement on paper is only as good as implementation and enforcement in practice. And I share the concerns you have on unilateral actions by the United Kingdom since the Agreement came into provisional application.

We have obviously seen a number of issues arise since then. Some were to be expected, others are teething issues and many are the consequence of the type of Brexit the UK chose. But regardless of the reasons, we need to focus on joint solutions. Unilateral decisions will get us nowhere.

And this is one of the reasons ratification is so important. It will give us the tools we need to ensure full and faithful compliance with the obligations, which both sides signed up to. And it will also focus minds on finding pragmatic solutions where they are needed – most urgently around the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Secondly, it protects European interests and preserves the integrity of our Single Market. It guarantees the robust level playing field that this House always prioritised. And it ensures high levels of protection on everything from social and labour rights, to environmental protection, to tax transparency and state aid. Third, the Agreement comes with real teeth – with a binding dispute settlement mechanism and the possibility for unilateral remedial measures where necessary.

Let me be clear: We do not want to have to use these tools. But we will not hesitate to use them if necessary. They are essential to ensure full compliance with the TCA and the Withdrawal Agreement, which were both negotiated in such fine detail and agreed by both sides.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres...speech_21_1967
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:18 PM

Re: Von der Leyen advises parliament ratification of the deal

EU missed the point! MEP says Brexit proof people are sick of Brussels - Denmark could go

"DANISH MEP Peter Kofod unleashed a scathing attack on Brussels as he congratulated the UK on its Brexit achievement ahead of the final ratification of the EU-UK withdrawal agreement."

The video of his speech is in the link.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...eu-latest-news

Before any backlash, discuss the content and not the source please.
No more shooting of innocent messengers.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
EU missed the point! MEP says Brexit proof people are sick of Brussels - Denmark could go

"DANISH MEP Peter Kofod unleashed a scathing attack on Brussels as he congratulated the UK on its Brexit achievement ahead of the final ratification of the EU-UK withdrawal agreement."

The video of his speech is in the link.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...eu-latest-news

Before any backlash, discuss the content and not the source please.
Of course you like him and his speech. And you chose your company well! Luckily he is from a tiny minority.
He's from the danish people's party. The Danish People's Party is a political party in Denmark that is generally described as right-wing populist by academics and far-right by international media. It has also been described in academia and the media as a nativist and anti-immigrant party. It is similar to the German People's Party, that was a national liberal party in Weimar Germany and a successor to the National Liberal Party of the German Empire.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Of course you like him and his speech. And you chose your company well! Luckily he is from a tiny minority.
He's from the danish people's party. The Danish People's Party is a political party in Denmark that is generally described as right-wing populist by academics and far-right by international media. It has also been described in academia and the media as a nativist and anti-immigrant party. It is similar to the German People's Party, that was a national liberal party in Weimar Germany and a successor to the National Liberal Party of the German Empire.

He's an MEP chosen by EU constituents
Solly.
That counts, whether you like it or not.
So in light of your grumbling, here's another MEP chosen by EU constituents who says something I expect you won't much like either.

"Speaking in the European Parliament this morning, Mr Bay said: “Everything possible was done to stop Brexit happening – new elections, new referendum, parliamentary votes.
“And we had Jean-Claude Juncker, the predecessor of Ursula von der Leyen, who said you can’t have democratic choices against the European treaties."

“Council President Donald Tusk had the advocates of Brexit going to hell.

“All of these absurd things were said and demonstrate a kind of religious fanaticism on the side of the federalists.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...s-Bay-MEP-news

Again: Before any backlash, discuss the content and not the source please.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
It seems that I have to learn some German history from you...

Seriously I am sure that most people in the EU agree that the EU has huge potential for reforms. The design has flaws no question. Still I am not so sure if and how it will be possible to initiate the neccessary reforms.
However, *if* reforms could be started, the current EU would change for the better and improve. In my opinion it is worth trying.

And of course every member has the right to make internal decisions to remain or to leave. I am (as always) mostly interested in *the reasons* for the decisions.

The AFD in Germany has their reasons to go for a DEXIT and that is ok. Ok, the decision to take a DEXIT into their party programme was internally controversal.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:47 PM

Ursula would be better sorting out the procurement disaster she caused.

Spending valuable time virtue signalling in the echo chamber of the EU is just another example of how useless she is.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
It seems that I have to learn some German history from you...

Seriously I am sure that most people in the EU agree that the EU has huge potential for reforms. The design has flaws no question. Still I am not so sure if and how it will be possible to initiate the neccessary reforms.
However, *if* reforms could be started, the current EU would change for the better and improve. In my opinion it is worth trying.

And of course every member has the right to make internal decisions to remain or to leave. I am (as always) mostly interested in *the reasons* for the decisions.

The AFD in Germany has their reasons to go for a DEXIT and that is ok. Ok, the decision to take a DEXIT into their party programme was internally controversal.

Solasch doesn't like German history
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 03:51 PM

Hi

We have left, I am not bothered what the EU does or doesn't do.

That was the whole point of leaving.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

27-04-2021, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

He's an MEP chosen by EU constituents
Solly.
That counts, whether you like it or not.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...s-Bay-MEP-news

Again: Before any backlash, discuss the content and not the source please.
He was chosen by danish constituents, like farage was chosen in 2019 by british constituents.

I'm stating that mister kofod is biased by his far right wing alliances.

If I were attacking the messenger, I would refer to the paoer giving mr kofod a podium. But as you know, the DE is not a newspaper, it's entertainment. It doesn't present news, it evokes emotion.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

27-04-2021, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We have left, I am not bothered what the EU does or doesn't do.

That was the whole point of leaving.
Agreed.
Please note however that frequently the ones trying to suggest problems are not UK citizens.
They are bothered, presumably because they can see how much better-off the UK is without the EU while they are of course stuck inside it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top