Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 05:42 PM

Re: Great british rail ??

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Well, they have done it Annie ?
But like l said, they took the liabilities, not the profits ??
So we are stuck with overpaying private operators to do do the nitty
gritty while we pay all the expenses !!
On the affordability, you forget that Boris is in charge now !!

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
But doesn't network rail still own the infrastructure and the train companies the trains etc? Technically they were always a government body and they are going to be rebranded Great British railways....so presumably the train companies will still pay rental commission or whether they pay to network rail, perhaps at a more favourable rate and their losses due to covid are being covered by the government? Network rail is just moving from Arm's length to officially a state owned body. Not really sure of the difference tbh.

I'm trying to understand what will really change...
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
But doesn't network rail still own the infrastructure and the train companies the trains etc? Technically they were always a government body and they are going to be rebranded Great British railways....so presumably the train companies will still pay rental commission or whether they pay to network rail, perhaps at a more favourable rate and their losses due to covid are being covered by the government? Network rail is just moving from Arm's length to officially a state owned body. Not really sure of the difference tbh.

I'm trying to understand what will really change...
Me too Annie ??
I thought the franchisees supplied the trains and network rail did
the infrastructure ?
So how can they seperate them now ??
Plus if they lost their franchise early for non performance , the same thing would apply ??
So maybe we were allready paying for trains really,and Branson
and his I'llk took the credit ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2021, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Me too Annie ??
I thought the franchisees supplied the trains and network rail did
the infrastructure ?
So how can they seperate them now ??
Plus if they lost their franchise early for non performance , the same thing would apply ??
So maybe we were allready paying for trains really,and Branson
and his I'llk took the credit ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔🤔👎
I think that arrangement stands. It seems network rail (rebranded) will be doing the ticketing and booking too. Trainline shares have gone through the floor. There must be a great deal of contract negotiation going on behind the scenes. Presumably oodles of staff will tupe over to the new organisation. It's not a bad idea but I just hope it works. For the train companies it's probably a load off of a headache they didn't really need. After all the risk is pretty much passing to the government. I wonder whether they will purchase ticketline as part of this. It would certainly make sense to use their infrastructure rather than pay a fortune to redevelop.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

21-05-2021, 02:41 AM

well when I watch "great british railway journeys " as described by some colorful guy in funny clothes and a history book - how come everything works like clockwork and looks so efficient and clean?? are they really filming it in germany or switzerland then?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 08:53 AM

The problem with our railways is that they aren't nationalised enough.
bret
bret is male 

21-05-2021, 09:00 AM

well I can remember them nationalized - in fact I used them frequently and the food was atrocious?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
There is another argument for renationalising. The current companies running the railways are all heavily subsidised by the state.
Indeed, money from these subsidies tends to end up in shareholder's pockets as dividends rather than being used for increased productivity.
bret
bret is male 

21-05-2021, 09:21 AM

Remember BR was denationalized because the govt could not afford to run it and they also were closing down stations all over the country - what makes you think that any govt can now afford to run a re-newed BR
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
Remember BR was denationalized because the govt could not afford to run it and they also were closing down stations all over the country - what makes you think that any govt can now afford to run a re-newed BR
Hi

Other countries have very successful nationalised railways who own some of our train operating companies.

There is no reason we should not be capable of operating our own.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Other countries have very successful nationalised railways who own some of our train operating companies.

There is no reason we should not be capable of operating our own.
I agree Swims, IF.....Greedy Sods keep their paws out of the till.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top