Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 08:11 AM

Mouldy Petunias.

We have had a lot of rain here in Hampshire since June.

My poor petunias are suffering....going mouldy...I’ve had this problem before, they were completely wiped out one year with mould.

Not much I can do is there?

I can’t control the weather..I just can’t believe how much rain we have had since June.

Rained heavily overnight, breaking a lot of their stems.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:02 AM

Re: Mouldy Petunias.

Our's Pauline are suffering. The season for them has changed. The leaves are withering and no new buds are appearing on some of them. Hot then chilly wet wet wet than dry. Can only think the weather is the cause, also.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:08 AM

Hi Pauline are your petunias in pots..
you could try moving the pots and thinning out the plants to increase air circulation.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Pauline are your petunias in pots..
you could try moving the pots and thinning out the plants to increase air circulation.
Why didn’t I think of that.

Thank you will do....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

04-07-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
Our's Pauline are suffering. The season for them has changed. The leaves are withering and no new buds are appearing on some of them. Hot then chilly wet wet wet than dry. Can only think the weather is the cause, also.

Yes, indeed Dianne..good advice from Meg, I will do that today..the sun is trying to peep through.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

04-07-2021, 09:20 AM

Sorry, yes they are all in pots..and troughs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:25 PM

Pauline, it sounds like what is called Powdery or Down Mildew to me.
Pansies often suffer with this too.

Strangely, it often starts when plants have been have got too dry at the roots, and as Meg said, they need air round them as well.

Here's just a short exert for you:

Powdery Mildew: Powdery mildew doesn’t need soaking wet conditions to thrive, but often appears where plants are spaced too tightly, obstructing airflow.
Look for white, powdery spots of spores that spread or cover leaves and flowers completely. Powdery mildew can be treated with neem oil, but you should also correct the conditions allowing this disease to get a foothold."

Unfortunately I have never been able to cure my Pansies and usually end up pulling them up.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2021, 12:39 PM

Agree with Meg & Mups. They need air and good drainage. I second the thinning them out idea. You can also spray a holistic solution on then to kill any fungus. Good luck.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 12:39 AM

been getting really toned and fit moving the petunias about this year. It's either slugs or the weather. What is up with this weather?!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

07-07-2021, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
been getting really toned and fit moving the petunias about this year. It's either slugs or the weather. What is up with this weather?!
Same here,Annie, Petunias need a lot of sunshine, most are now mouldy, I’ve cut them so the air can circulate.

They need sunshine...rain here once again....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top