Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 09:43 AM

GB v UK

Anyone taking their car abroad from 28 September will have to display a UK sticker rather than a GB one. The change is rumoured to be a sign of solidarity with Northern Ireland from Westminster in the face of post-Brexit trade tensions.

The GB sticker has been in use for 111 years, but while it is technically valid for Northern Irish cars taken abroad, that country is not part of the geographical island of Great Britain, a detail that has irked some Northern Irish residents over the years.

But in the face of issues such as the ‘sausage wars’, the UK Government has written to the United Nations to effect the change, stating: “The United Kingdom is changing the distinguishing sign that it had previously selected for display in international traffic on vehicles registered in the United Kingdom, from “GB” to “UK”...this change will take effect on 28 September 2021.”

The switch from GB to UK stickers comes just months after ministers unveiled a new GB number plate with a Union Flag. This replaced the previous ‘Euro’ plate, which showed the stars of the European Union with the letters GB.

But the switch to UK signifiers, while being inclusive of Northern Ireland, means drivers with the new GB plates will have to either change their plates, or affix an additional UK sticker to their cars from September.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 10:00 AM

Re: GB v UK

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Anyone taking their car abroad from 28 September will have to display a UK sticker rather than a GB one. The change is rumoured to be a sign of solidarity with Northern Ireland from Westminster in the face of post-Brexit trade tensions.

The GB sticker has been in use for 111 years, but while it is technically valid for Northern Irish cars taken abroad, that country is not part of the geographical island of Great Britain, a detail that has irked some Northern Irish residents over the years.

But in the face of issues such as the ‘sausage wars’, the UK Government has written to the United Nations to effect the change, stating: “The United Kingdom is changing the distinguishing sign that it had previously selected for display in international traffic on vehicles registered in the United Kingdom, from “GB” to “UK”...this change will take effect on 28 September 2021.”

The switch from GB to UK stickers comes just months after ministers unveiled a new GB number plate with a Union Flag. This replaced the previous ‘Euro’ plate, which showed the stars of the European Union with the letters GB.

But the switch to UK signifiers, while being inclusive of Northern Ireland, means drivers with the new GB plates will have to either change their plates, or affix an additional UK sticker to their cars from September.
I can see the sense in that, and the fact that the EU flag is now being replaced by the Union Flag is a definitely positive step.

As for 'UK' rather than 'GB', though, if N.I. does eventually leave the UK won't they then be able to revert to 'GB'?
Isn't politics a complicated business?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I can see the sense in that, and the fact that the EU flag is now being replaced by the Union Flag is a definitely positive step.

As for 'UK' rather than 'GB', though, if N.I. does eventually leave the UK won't they then be able to revert to 'GB'?
Isn't politics a complicated business?
Yes I do agree with that part but I'm not so sure about another attempt to take the 'Great' out of Great Britain.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 10:57 AM

If the Westminster wants solidarity with Northern Ireland they should tear up the Irish Protocol.

The EU should not be controlling imports and exports within the UK.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 10:58 AM

Makes sense to me. I've always been slightly irritated that we are represented at the Olympics by Team GB when, of course, it should be Team UK.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
If the Westminster wants solidarity with Northern Ireland they should tear up the Irish Protocol.

The EU should not be controlling imports and exports within the UK.
Exactly - and get rid of the shameful deal introduced by that traitorous POS Blair that brought a foreign government in to "share" control of a part of the United Kingdom.

War criminal, proven liar, breaker of Britain and so much more. He should be in jail serving a full life tariff and be stripped of ALL his assets as well as those of his family.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Exactly - and get rid of the shameful deal introduced by that traitorous POS Blair that brought a foreign government in to "share" control of a part of the United Kingdom.

War criminal, proven liar, breaker of Britain and so much more. He should be in jail serving a full life tariff and be stripped of ALL his assets as well as those of his family.
👍👍👍 !!

D mean! 🤗🤗
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes I do agree with that part but I'm not so sure about another attempt to take the 'Great' out of Great Britain.
Maybe it's the "United" bit that they're hoping has some impact upon the other would-be independence seekers?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 11:38 AM

Possibly a step to replacing UK with something like ENG, CYM, and SCO when the parasites go their own way?
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Possibly a step to replacing UK with something like ENG, CYM, and SCO when the parasites go their own way?
I'd like to see how many would survive without that swinging Barnett Formula that keeps us financially restricted. I hope they realise that once independent, that block of money will stay with us.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top