Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 04:54 PM

Re: GB v UK

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes I do agree with that part but I'm not so sure about another attempt to take the 'Great' out of Great Britain.
Keep in mind that "Great" is nothing more than a geographical reference to the British archipelago. More correctly it should be "Greater Britain".
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I'd like to see how many would survive without that swinging Barnett Formula that keeps us financially restricted. I hope they realise that once independent, that block of money will stay with us.
Of course they don't. What's more I read in the Daily Express (I think it was) that Hairy Mary Sturgeon is already demanding that all UK military assets north of the border should become Scotland's property once they achieve once they achieve independence. Bloody cheek.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes I do agree with that part but I'm not so sure about another attempt to take the 'Great' out of Great Britain.
The term 'Great Britain' merely refers to the largest of the islands that make up the British Isles. It has nothing to do with whether Britain is 'great' or not - it is a reference to the size of the island, not it's prowess or standing on the world stage.

And this is why we should be adopting the term UK, being inclusive of Northern Island, which GB is not.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

07-07-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
The term 'Great Britain' merely refers to the largest of the islands that make up the British Isles. It has nothing to do with whether Britain is 'great' or not - it is a reference to the size of the island, not it's prowess or standing on the world stage.

And this is why we should be adopting the term UK, being inclusive of Northern Island, which GB is not.
Great Britain is the name of the archipelago. England and Scotland and Wales is the archipelago mainland.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
If the Westminster wants solidarity with Northern Ireland they should tear up the Irish Protocol.

The EU should not be controlling imports and exports within the UK.
I completely agree. Maggie wouldn't have stood for the EU's dictatorial attitude, not for two minutes, but Boris is a bit of a wimp.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Exactly - and get rid of the shameful deal introduced by that traitorous POS Blair that brought a foreign government in to "share" control of a part of the United Kingdom.

War criminal, proven liar, breaker of Britain and so much more. He should be in jail serving a full life tariff and be stripped of ALL his assets as well as those of his family.
I agree. I'm surprised that no-one's tried to bump him off before now.
I still live in hope, though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-07-2021, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I'd like to see how many would survive without that swinging Barnett Formula that keeps us financially restricted. I hope they realise that once independent, that block of money will stay with us.
Hear hear.
I believe the more intelligent Scots, Welsh and Irish are fully aware of that.
In fact, I'm sure the separatists in each of those 'provinces' are just thick snowflakes.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-07-2021, 08:57 PM

Of course they don't. What's more I read in the Daily Express (I think it was) that Hairy Mary Sturgeon is already demanding that all UK military assets north of the border should become Scotland's property once they achieve once they achieve independence. Bloody cheek.
She's just a chancer.
Our armed forces all swear allegiance to the Queen, and I can't believe for one minute that she'd agree to allow any of them to go and fight for a foreign country.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

07-07-2021, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
She's just a chancer.
Our armed forces all swear allegiance to the Queen, and I can't believe for one minute that she'd agree to allow any of them to go and fight for a foreign country.
The assets that Hairy Mary has her eyes on are not people. They're all forms of armaments probably up to and including WsMD.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 10:43 PM

Great Britain is the name of the archipelago. England and Scotland and Wales is the archipelago mainland.
The name of the archipelago is The British Isles. Great Britain is the name of the biggest of the islands in that archipelago.

https://www.britannica.com/story/wha...united-kingdom

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top