Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 11:48 PM

Re: GB v UK

An archipelago is a group of islands. OFF is so educational.

As the British Isles includes ireland, does that make the Irish British?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

That's a good question Annie! I guess technically, geographically, they are. But I'm sure as hell they would never, ever use that descriptor
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

No, thank goodness. Eire is a country situated on part of an island of the British archipelago. Just as Snotland and Wales are a part of the UK positioned on the British mainland of the British archipelago.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
The assets that Hairy Mary has her eyes on are not people. They're all forms of armaments probably up to and including WsMD.
I really have no idea what 'WsMD' is, but regarding the hardware and properties of the Ministry of Defence, I'm sure that what our armed forces presently possess would be retained by the UK if Scotland decided to go its own way.

Remember that our armed forces are under the nominal command of the Queen.

Certainly our SLBM base in Scotland would be closed down and everything we own brought to England. I'm pretty sure that there are several suitable locations here for it.

As for the Army, I'm sure that the same would happen to all Scottish regiments that happened to the Irish regiments after 1922. They'd be disbanded.
If the Scots would like to form their own army and units, they'd have to come up with some new names, minus any 'Royal' prefixes of course.

In short, Scotland would have to start all over again, just as the Republic of Ireland did.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I really have no idea what 'WsMD' is, but regarding the hardware and properties of the Ministry of Defence, I'm sure that what our armed forces presently possess would be retained by the UK if Scotland decided to go its own way.

Remember that our armed forces are under the nominal command of the Queen.

Certainly our SLBM base in Scotland would be closed down and everything we own brought to England. I'm pretty sure that there are several suitable locations here for it.

As for the Army, I'm sure that the same would happen to all Scottish regiments that happened to the Irish regiments after 1922. They'd be disbanded.
If the Scots would like to form their own army and units, they'd have to come up with some new names, minus any 'Royal' prefixes of course.

In short, Scotland would have to start all over again, just as the Republic of Ireland did.
WsMD - Weapons of Mass Destruction. As for hardware - that is precisely what The Fishy Woman expects to keep probably up to submarine bases and air bases and all that goes with them. The whole SNP shower no doubt expect all English tax payers money and everything that they get from England and Wales to continue to subsidize them as is presently the case. Personally I would be content to watch them starve. Their choice. It might be more than a good idea to cancel the Barnet skew to the distribution of what are mostly English taxes right now.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 03:46 PM

Great Britain is the name of the archipelago. England and Scotland and Wales is the archipelago mainland.
If you read the front cover of a GB passport you will see it reads "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	bluepassport.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	16200  
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

08-07-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
If you read the front cover of a GB passport you will see it reads "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
That is only because Ulster is a province of the UK. Strictly an administrative nicety.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 04:15 PM

That is only because Ulster is a province of the UK. Strictly an administrative nicety.
I agree but at least NI gets a mention.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

08-07-2021, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I agree but at least NI gets a mention.
Yes, because untill the Fenians started up once more about a "United Ireland" it was well understood that it was a separate country. It only became a really hot potato when that lying POS Bernadette Devlin set off the terrorist attacks in Belfast over the Divis Flats.

At that time the police were the The Royal Ulster Constabulary and it was part of the acts of Blair to rid the UK of the "Irish Problem" that saw the The Royal Ulster Constabulary replaced with "The Police Service of Northern Ireland" that formed one step of selling the British people out and easing the take over of that part of the UK by a foreign country.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 07:53 PM

WsMD - Weapons of Mass Destruction. As for hardware - that is precisely what The Fishy Woman expects to keep probably up to submarine bases and air bases and all that goes with them. The whole SNP shower no doubt expect all English tax payers money and everything that they get from England and Wales to continue to subsidize them as is presently the case. Personally I would be content to watch them starve. Their choice. It might be more than a good idea to cancel the Barnet skew to the distribution of what are mostly English taxes right now.
I'd like to think that we would take everything the UK already owns.
You can't move buildings, of course. Well, not very easily, but everything we own should come back to us.

Having said that, you know what our politicians are like. Happy to hand out everything we have to people who don't deserve them, so I wouldn't be surprised if we give away everything.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top