Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 04:44 PM

Re: Foreign Aid Cut

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Foreign aid has always been used as political leverage. A classic example of this was India and it's tender for new military aircraft to replace it's ageing aircraft. Many many years ago, India decided to update it's ageing military aircraft and the contract was put out to tender. A number of countries put their bids in, France, the US, the UK, Germany being the preferred bidders. At the time, the tabloid press were running articles stating that the UK government was extremely confident of winning the multibillion pound contract.

For weeks and then months the story kept appearing in the press with the same comments being made, that the UK government was supremely confident that the UK would win the contract. In amongst the articles would appear stories that the UK government was being overly confident of winning the contract because of the amount of foreign aid gives to India which is way way more than what other countries give to India. So on it went and then it got down to the last to bidders, the UK and France and still the UK government was confident of winning the contract but guess what, the contract went to France and the UK government was furious.

Out came the tabloid press articles claiming that the UK government believed that they was convinced they was going to get the contract because of all the help the UK has given to India but it back fired spectacularly.

Foreign aid has and also will be used as political leverage.
And I'm sure our incompetent government and civil service are still sending our hard-earned money out...
for nothing.

What do they say, 'Lions led by donkeys'?

Of course, it's our fault for electing them!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 04:58 PM

It would be fairer if we could sack them as well, candidates are chosen by party members, people vote for the party without knowing much about the individual standing for election.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
It would be fairer if we could sack them as well, candidates are chosen by party members, people vote for the party without knowing much about the individual standing for election.
That is something that has been suggested time and time again but no political party will put it into practice.

When a business is under threat due to poor or incompetent behaviour, it's CEO, director or senior manager, are sacked or forced out. When the exact same thing happens with MP's and government minsters, the voters cannot sack them (have them removed), we have to wait for a general election to kick them out but by then, the damage has already been done.

Theresa May when home secretary was making huge mistakes but the voters could not remove her and as such she carried on making huge mistakes. The health secretary made huge mistakes and yet again the voters are not allowed to remove him and as such he carried on making mistakes.

If business leaders can be sacked for harming the business, so should MP's and minsters for harming the running of the government.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:20 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if, say, a couple of years before a general election the public were given a questionnaire about certain things that they want specific changes to be made, such as foreign aid; and that any prospective candidate for any party must agree to abide by before they are even allowed to put themselves up for election? As it stands, there are too many generic policies being put into manifestos which allow some specific things just to carry on as they have been before with only, at best, a minor tweak rather than a complete overhaul.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Well I know about my own. She's one of those who just sits there and says nothing, and just picks up the money!

Money for old rope. Nothing that I couldn't do, that's for certain.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well I know about my own. She's one of those who just sits there and says nothing, and just picks up the money!

Money for old rope. Nothing that I couldn't do, that's for certain.
Perhaps a better phrase (which I coined after seeing far too many senior managers at work) is money for no rope.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-07-2021, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Wouldn't it be nice if, say, a couple of years before a general election the public were given a questionnaire about certain things that they want specific changes to be made, such as foreign aid; and that any prospective candidate for any party must agree to abide by before they are even allowed to put themselves up for election? As it stands, there are too many generic policies being put into manifestos which allow some specific things just to carry on as they have been before with only, at best, a minor tweak rather than a complete overhaul.
Good idea, though too late as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless of whatever empty promises they come up with next time, I shall not be voting Conservative.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-07-2021, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Good idea, though too late as far as I'm concerned.

Regardless of whatever empty promises they come up with next time, I shall not be voting Conservative.
Fair enough. I know you're been mentioning another alternative to look at and I'll have a look at them. At present, none of the major parties seem to be particularly viable to me.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 11:14 AM

The government only got this through because they say it is only a temporary measure, the savings a teardrop in the ocean compared to want has been spent on covid.

The conundrum is rich countries are taking from the poor to give aid to rich people living in poor countries.

The emotional blackmail adverts have no effect on my conscience. Some have not changed in years.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 11:16 AM

Hi

We are borrowing to pay it.

Many other Countries have a surplus but do not give it.

Spend it on our own.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top