Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 06:51 PM

Goole WW2 bomb: Army experts carry out controlled explosion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-57953506 (With Video)

A live Word War Two bomb unearthed by builders on a housing development has been destroyed in a controlled explosion.

The 500lb (227kg) device was found on the new-build estate in Goole, East Yorkshire, on Thursday.

Eight homes were evacuated and the M62 was shut between junctions 35 and 37 as a safety precaution.

Humberside Police said the device was successfully detonated at 16:22 BST on Saturday.
Some explosion ..... !

John Sharpe, site manager of the Beal Homes development, said the bomb was believed to have been dropped by a Lancaster bomber during a crash-landing*.
* I wonder what happened to the aircraft and crew ..... ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 08:37 PM

Re: Goole WW2 bomb: Army experts carry out controlled explosion

Not far from me Omah, about ten miles. There used to be a Lancaster air base at Lindholm (a prison now) and my mum and gran watched stricken bombers returning from Germany just managing to clear the houses after engines and and wings had been shot to pieces.
Some didn't make it. I attended many air displays there in the fifties before they moved to Finningley. That airbase had a longer runway and Vulcan's were later based there.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:06 PM

A better job than the one that was exploded in Exeter back in March.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
A better job than the one that was exploded in Exeter back in March.
A bomb went off in Exeter Longdogs?....I thought Exeter always looked like that....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2021, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A bomb went off in Exeter Longdogs?....I thought Exeter always looked like that....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top