Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 07:51 PM

Re: Mysterious knocking noise!

The smell started last week, before I used the Air Con. I had the AC on when driving to Clacton, and the squeal just started on Monday after I’d switched it on again, switched it off, the squeal stopped. I’ll get it seen to when I get home.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 09:42 PM

AC systems are belt driven, it could be just the belt that's slipping like a fan-belt does from time to time?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
AC systems are belt driven, it could be just the belt that's slipping like a fan-belt does from time to time?
Hi Judd,

The compressor is driven by the main belt via a pulley - yes.
However, when the a/c is not in use, the pulley free-wheels.
When the a/c is switched on, the pulley is pulled in via an electronic clutch to turn the compressor. If the compressor is seized, as soon as the clutch pulls in, the pulley will stop, making the belt squeal, if that makes sense?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:32 PM

Thanks Fender, makes sense to me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
The smell started last week, before I used the Air Con. I had the AC on when driving to Clacton, and the squeal just started on Monday after I’d switched it on again, switched it off, the squeal stopped. I’ll get it seen to when I get home.
What does it smell of. Is it musty or eggy?
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Exhaust for sure, knocking on the underside body is probably caused by the silencer when the car is driven at high speed, something has come adrift and needs to be seen by your local exhaust experts, no big deal really soon fixed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Exhaust for sure, knocking on the underside body is probably caused by the silencer when the car is driven at high speed, something has come adrift and needs to be seen by your local exhaust experts, no big deal really soon fixed.
Either that or get one of those loud exhausts that sound like a drum kit falling down stairs. You are in Devon Basser, you must have heard them too.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 02:41 PM

That's what mine sounded like before I got this one. Talk about self conscious driving to the garage! Of course I put on a reggae cd and some shades!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What does it smell of. Is it musty or eggy?
Acrid, pungent. The exhaust guy said he first of all thought of paint or paint thinner. Asked if anything had spilt inside, had I lent the car to anyone that they could have done so. I said no to everything. I had a three hour journey home from Clacton to London today, albeit with an hour ish of slow moving so could have windows wide, but occasionally had fan blowing with cold air, or windows down and then up, down and up.

Felt so sorry for the dog, in the back seat.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Either that or get one of those loud exhausts that sound like a drum kit falling down stairs. You are in Devon Basser, you must have heard them too.
Give us a break LD we've only just sold the last of our horses and carts, cars are a new thing here me beauty

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top