Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Re: Total Knee Replacement

CeeCee, whatever you do, don't call the operation off

Even a walker with a tray area would help you with the bag. It would steady you, give you something to balance on and with a perching stool I think it would be manageable

Im not saying its going to be easy, dealing with poo is never nice but you have had to deal with your bag, and Im sure its not always been plain sailing

You are going to have to get social services involved to get you the equipment you need - grab rails, raised seats, walker etc. And the sooner you do, the sooner everything will be in place and you get your new knee(s) and that will improve your quality of life

Its never easy to have to ask for help. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and look at the long term picture

Please ring social services. In my area there was a wait, but they supplied all the equipment step dad needed to keep him at home ( plus we got a rate rebate for having disability aids installed, which we no longer claim as he's dead)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 08:14 PM

How about one of these frames?

CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Longdogs, that looks great, but I am in a tiny rented bugalow and the bathroom is so small I doubt that would fit in. The toilet is beside the wall, next to the washbasin and bath. As it is a private landlord I cannot make any adaptions either.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Longdogs, that looks great, but I am in a tiny rented bugalow and the bathroom is so small I doubt that would fit in. The toilet is beside the wall, next to the washbasin and bath. As it is a private landlord I cannot make any adaptions either.
They have a duty of care to make sure you have the right equipment, so they may put you into respite to recover if your place can't house the equipment needed CC. In respite you will have some great rehabilitation. It's worth a mention.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
They have a duty of care to make sure you have the right equipment, so they may put you into respite to recover if your place can't house the equipment needed CC. In respite you will have some great rehabilitation. It's worth a mention.
I agree. i remember my Aunt having an op on her hip and they actually went to her flat to survey her surroundings before letting her home.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 12:32 PM

Hi Chris,so sorry You're having to worry about recuperation after the KR op',but Lion Queens suggestion sounds like a good idea until You can walk and bend Your knee fully...I must say it's a very painful operation to recover from and You won't need any other problems to prevent a full recovery.I do hope You find a solution,x
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Thanks May.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2018, 01:55 PM

Wishing you all the best.
CeeCee
UK

03-08-2018, 02:11 PM

Thanks Ffosse.
CeeCee
UK

08-09-2018, 03:54 PM

Update

It is now two weeks since my total knee replacement. I was in hospital for four days and have been recovering at home since.

I am amazed at how well it has gone, yes the first few days were excruciating, not helped by about 40-50 staples in my knee joint. However, I am pretty mobile and down to one crutch around the house. I am still having difficulties managing with my colostomy, but nowhere near as bad as I feared.

Certainly doing all the exercises pre surgery has paid off well and I have plenty of flexion in the new knee. At least now things are on the up, rather than deterioratin. I aim to be stick free well before Christmas.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top