Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 12:40 AM

Re: Windows 8

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
..I use a Windows 8 computer at my Seniors club and once you get used to it everything you are used to in 7 is to be found in 8.
You're right Bruce, you do get used to it. I'm sure I now read quite a few more posts where people say they are getting on OK with Windows 8.1. The trouble has been that the UI is so different to the one used for 18 years previously. It was bound to cause some bad reviews and opinions I suppose. Microsoft has always been controversial though. XP was well vilified when it first came out, yet is now thought to be one of the better operating systems that Microsoft released.

One good thing about Microsoft operating systems up to now is the way they can be customised. If something isn't liked, look around the Internet and there will be some clever setting or third-party bit of software that can change it. This has been the case since Windows 95 came out and Windows 8.1 is no different.

Tiles can be pushed into the background with Classic Shell, Start8 or similar. Apps running full screen can be changed by Installing Stardock's 'ModernMix'. The Charms Bar can be suppressed with 'Charms Bar Killer' by WinAero.

It could be argued that these should all be options already included in the OS and that might be a point. However, I think it's a feature of a Windows OS that these customizations are not blocked from being made and are mostly fairly easy to apply.

I've used all of these modifications in W.8 and 8.1 but in the end, decided that Windows 8.1 is pretty good as it is without much changing. The only customisation kept on my W.8.1 OS is the Charms Bar Killer. The computer is used with a keyboard and mouse and I find the Bar can pop too easily when the mouse goes to the bottom-right of the screen.

All in all, I reckon Microsoft have produced some good operating systems over the years (including Window 8 and 8.1) and I hope Windows 10 continues in that vein.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 01:04 AM

Much as I can get by in Win8 it is still a dog of a product and joins Vista and ME in the long list of M$ dogs dating back to DOS4.

Their attempt to be all things to all men and combine touch screen, phone, tablet and desktop technology into one product was flawed from the start. This was compounded by their refusal to reinstate the Start button in 8.1 but I suspect it will be back in WIN10.

One has to admit Micro$oft do learn from their mistakes eventually.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:10 AM

True that the Start Button is a gateway to everything on the computer. It provides a way to close the computer (to start stopping it ), get to the program shortcuts in order to start them up and to access various parts of the operating system. In fact, without some keeping on top of and organising, the Start Menu can become a jumbled mixture of rarely used and frequently used program shortcuts.

Windows 8 rearranges this but doesn't take away any of the functions that the previous UI provided. It only separates them out a bit and this is better in my opinion. It is still possible to get to all parts of the computer in Windows 8 and to start programs with the interface provided. The removal of the Start Button has indeed been a complaint about Windows 8 but I never could see why. All options and controls are accessible in Windows 8 without a Start Button.

I can't give an opinion about Windows 8.1 on a laptop, tablet or phone because I've no experience of running it on anything other than a Desktop computer using a keyboard and mouse. For this purpose though, I've found Windows 8 to be a very good OS. To form this opinion, all I needed to do was blinker myself the bad opinions and reviews and get on with becoming accustomed to it. Seems to be an approach that has worked for me.

Windows 10 is bringing back the Start Button is due to Microsoft being pressured to do so but who is doing the pressuring? Is it the millions of people who use Windows 8, or is it the people who write reviews and post in forums and blogs? I've often thought that it's only those who don't like the changes, or those who get problems, that are likely to publicise them. There must be silent millions who get on OK with Windows 8 and just use it. They aren't likely to take the trouble to write about that. If they did, perhaps the various sites that people use for expressing views would get bogged down with positive opinions?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Windows 10 is bringing back the Start Button is due to Microsoft being pressured to do so but who is doing the pressuring? Is it the millions of people who use Windows 8, or is it the people who write reviews and post in forums and blogs? I've often thought that it's only those who don't like the changes, or those who get problems, that are likely to publicise them. There must be silent millions who get on OK with Windows 8 and just use it. They aren't likely to take the trouble to write about that. If they did, perhaps the various sites that people use for expressing views would get bogged down with positive opinions?
For me Windows 8.1 has the equivalent of a start button with the window icon bottom left corner that with the right click of a mouse gives access to necessary things
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

07-12-2014, 11:49 AM

I find that too Meg. With the Quick Access Menu (that right-clicking on that icon brings up) it's quick and easy to get to places on the computer.

There's also the power button on the Start Screen since 'Update 1' was released. I don't use that very often because I've got used to shutting down the computer the way you do.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 12:32 PM

Thanks for this thread. I'm buying a new laptop in the next couple of weeks and I have learnt quite a bit reading all of these posts in this thread. I will go for windows 8.1 and won't be shocked that there is no start button.

I'm not sure what make to go for as yet and whether to go for a touch screen. I will have to have a good look around.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 04:23 PM

The first things I did with my new laptop was to clear out most of the "apps" (whatever they are) and load 'Classic Shell'. I only run the laptop in desktop node, set up to emulate XT. This keeps the laptop and my desktop PC looking similar.

As far as I can see, Win 8 was written with handheld devices in mind and is not the best for 'proper' computers. Microsoft don't get it right every time - just look at 'Vista'. IMO Win 8 was another flawed product.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2014, 05:07 PM

I've used Windows since version 3.1 which only took a few floppies to install and of all the other versions I've tried the only one I actively loathe is Windows 8. What a pile of crap.

I just upgraded to a new gaming PC a couple of months ago and I deliberately hunted out a supplier who would supply it with Windows 7 Premium 64bit instead of Windows 8. I've "upgraded" several PCs from Windows 8 to Windows 7 for friends of mine and their gratitude was profound to say the least.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

29-12-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I've used Windows since version 3.1 which only took a few floppies to install and of all the other versions I've tried the only one I actively loathe is Windows 8. What a pile of crap.

I just upgraded to a new gaming PC a couple of months ago and I deliberately hunted out a supplier who would supply it with Windows 7 Premium 64bit instead of Windows 8. I've "upgraded" several PCs from Windows 8 to Windows 7 for friends of mine and their gratitude was profound to say the least.
I started with computers just as the change from Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 was happening and think that Windows 8.1 is the best OS so far. I too recently got a new computer and insisted on a Windows 8.1 installation disk being supplied with it. Opinions can be so opposite.

With Windows 10 going though the testing stages, there may now not be too much reason to encourage people to get used to Windows 8. There was a year or two ago but everything moves on and that's the point in a way. Microsoft operating systems are supported for quite a long time but they do have a life cycle. Windows 7 life cycle is:

End of mainstream support - January 13, 2015
End of extended support - January 14, 2020

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/lifecycle

With this in mind, I thought it best to recommend keeping up with changes now rather than later. Friends, family and their partners all come around here with their Windows 8.1 laptops, log into my router and just use them. No problems are mentioned now ..and they also use my Desktop computer running W.8.1 with a keyboard and mouse.

All in all, I feel I've been right to give what encouragement I could in keeping up with the change from Windows 7 to 8 to 8.1. Windows 8.1 isn't as bad as advertised.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 12:24 PM

Reading all this stuff about the big money con. trick that is Windoze makes me more and more thankful I changed to Linux all those years ago. No frills - no fancies - just a straightforward (and free) op. system that works.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top