Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 09:14 PM

Re: Windows 8

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Once I ditched the tiles it was ok and I really can't remember what is was like with the old system...
I reckon a feature of any MS Windows operating system (Windows 8/8.1 being the same) is that it allows users to customise it to how they want it. I use the tiles but as you say, they don't really have to be seen all that much if they aren't liked. Just boot to the Desktop and work from there. If that isn't enough, there are third party programs that can added to change the appearance and usage. Microsoft allows users and programmers to add such things. I hope it stays this way with Windows 10. I added 'Winaero Charms Bar Killer' to disable the Charms Bar completely because I found it just gets in the way.

For those approaching Windows 8/8.1 for the first time, maybe worth mentioning is a function I find most useful: Right-click on the Start Screen Button to gain access to the Quick Access Menu. This gives quick access to the most commonly used places on the computer...

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 02:32 AM

I might have said this before but the Win8 interface is rubbish for a computer. It is fine for a tablet. The operating system itself probably has many fine features built in but to use it is is a pain in the posterior.

When I teach seniors to use computers I use a touch screen WIN8 computer and even on that the interface is rubbish. Personally I always go straight to the desktop but it is not a patch on the classic desktop and the touch screen is a bloody nuisance when you are pointing something out to someone. Unnecessary technology for most desktop computers

As someone said earlier probably better to wait for Win10 (and even then wait for SP1) before upgrading your computer unless you can get the retailer to sell you one without an operating system at a reduced price. You can pick up a new copy of Win7 on eBay for about $125 (£62)
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 06:59 AM

I can't comment on using Windows 8/8.1 on a tablet or navigating via a touch-screen because I have no experience with that. Perhaps I would find it a pain in the posterior for all I know.

I'd be entirely eligible age-wise to be a senior pupil but I learned the Windows 8/8.1 interface on a Desktop computer by just using it (since its release in late 2012), so self-taught. I guess if I'd had someone teaching me the OS, or if I had taken notice of reviews, I might not have the good opinion of Windows 8/8.1 that I have. Thoroughly workable and learnable in my opinion.

I decided to give W.8 an open-minded try because there has always been much criticism of new Microsoft operating systems. I've never found them to be as bad as written about but maybe I'm too easily pleased ..or maybe I adapt easily to changes because of the job I had that was always introducing new technology. I just dunno why I find Windows 8.1 good when many others who write in forums etc don't.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 08:43 AM

With Win 8 and possibly other systems, you can simply disable the hotspots that activate the charm bar. there's no need to add any software to do it.

1. Right-click on Taskbar and select Properties option.

2. It'll open Taskbar and Navigation properties window.

3. Go to "Navigation" tab and uncheck following options present in "Corner navigation" section:

When I point to the upper-right corner, show the charms
When I click the upper-left corner, switch between my recent apps

1st option will disable Charms Bar and the 2nd option will disable App Switch list.

4. Apply the changes and it'll immediately disable hot corners in Windows 8.1.
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 09:42 AM

The thing I want most from any computer operating system is to be able to use my computer without having to waste time on having to maintain it through constant upgrades, patches, virus software upgrades, etc, etc. I want what I already have a machine which has run for 3 years which updates automatically, has had no glitches, lockouts, system failures, bugs and whatever else taking my computer away from just being able to use it without worrying about how it operates.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
With Win 8 and possibly other systems, you can simply disable the hotspots that activate the charm bar. there's no need to add any software to do it.

1. Right-click on Taskbar and select Properties option.

2. It'll open Taskbar and Navigation properties window.

3. Go to "Navigation" tab and uncheck following options present in "Corner navigation" section:

When I point to the upper-right corner, show the charms
When I click the upper-left corner, switch between my recent apps

1st option will disable Charms Bar and the 2nd option will disable App Switch list.

4. Apply the changes and it'll immediately disable hot corners in Windows 8.1.
I did that a while back George and found it made things much better
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

31-12-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by tyrell ->
The thing I want most from any computer operating system is to be able to use my computer without having to waste time on having to maintain it through constant upgrades, patches, virus software upgrades, etc, etc. I want what I already have a machine which has run for 3 years which updates automatically, has had no glitches, lockouts, system failures, bugs and whatever else taking my computer away from just being able to use it without worrying about how it operates.
Is that referring to Macs? If going by reading alone, there are plenty of people who don't like Apple products (try typing 'apple mac sucks' into a search engine). Then again there isn't a platform around that runs OK for everyone and no operating system can be all things to all people.

Not saying Macs are bad. There's good things written about them too but I'd have to have a few years practical experience using Macs before forming an opinion one way or the other.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Windows 8.1 isn't as bad as advertised.
I agree - it is much, much worse!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2015, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I agree - it is much, much worse!
Now where is the like button?

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

04-01-2015, 03:02 AM

You know things are bad when even the abominable Paperclip says sorry.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top