Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:59 PM

Re: AVG Alert

Sorry Eliza, but I think you misunderstood what I meant.
I know how to search, but what I meant was what did search for exactly? Not sure if you were searching the name itself, or if you meant you did a second scan to search for a problem?
Surely if it was ligit, when you searched the Superfish name, you would have found an explanation, do you think?
I don't like things like this, because I don't understand enough about it.
I might do another AVG in the morning and see if it happens again.

P.S. Just googled it and it seems it really is a VIRUS and Lenovo are being investigated over it.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 09:25 AM

Do not install Superfish. If you read about it online there are many
warnings of the danger this virus has. Do not use a tool that purports
to get rid of it either.
When I got the Superfish advert from AVG the other day I didn't even
click into that for more details as there was no way you could be sure
it was from AVG. So I deleted by using the C\trl and Alt keys together and pressing delete. This brings a use Task Manager and it brings up what you have on your computer at the time. Click on delete on the AVG which is
showing Superfish Turn the PC off. Then go back on and run your AVG
full scan. You can also check on your programmes to see it has been taken off.
Regarding Malwarebytes, I always used that up to about a year ago and the reason I don't use it anymore is that it was bought by someone then. The someone was a well known scammer who made his money scamming. So I don't use that anymore.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I had to have a man in last week as I was getting pop ups all the time in spite of having AVG. He downloaded a free (for 3 weeks) program called "Malwarebyte" which did a scan and got rid of all the nasties. Why don't you try it as you know it's safe ( I have used it twice without problems).
There is a free version of Malwarebyte, I have it on this computer and itīs very good. You just need to be careful when you download it, itīs very easy to download the paid trial version.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2015, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
Do not install Superfish. If you read about it online there are many
warnings of the danger this virus has. Do not use a tool that purports
to get rid of it either.
When I got the Superfish advert from AVG the other day I didn't even
click into that for more details as there was no way you could be sure
it was from AVG. So I deleted by using the C\trl and Alt keys together and pressing delete. This brings a use Task Manager and it brings up what you have on your computer at the time. Click on delete on the AVG which is
showing Superfish Turn the PC off. Then go back on and run your AVG
full scan. You can also check on your programmes to see it has been taken off.
Regarding Malwarebytes, I always used that up to about a year ago and the reason I don't use it anymore is that it was bought by someone then. The someone was a well known scammer who made his money scamming. So I don't use that anymore.
I had also heard this but my computer man, who is a real professional and has to keep abreast of everything, checked it all out and it seems there was a lot of false information. I inadvertently downloading the trial version but my computer man soon sorted that for me and put the free version back on. I have had no problems with it and it sorts things out just fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware...7_Anti-Malware
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 11:22 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies and advice. I've now found out how to do a full file backup and a full system backup; downloaded malwarebyte and run a scan.

Can't believe I'm finally getting to grips with this computer!!! Thanks again
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2015, 11:30 PM

https://filippo.io/Badfish/

If you click on the link above it will tell you in about ten seconds if you have superfish. I checked mine last week...
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

06-03-2015, 12:24 AM

Here is a BBC article re Lenevo and superfish.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31533028
Silbee
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 11:16 AM

I've got a Lenovo and it it is an excellent laptop but it will probably be the last one I buy from them, how could you trust them after this even now they've been caught they're not giving full disclosure ...
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
I've got a Lenovo and it it is an excellent laptop but it will probably be the last one I buy from them, how could you trust them after this even now they've been caught they're not giving full disclosure ...
Thanks for that.......being technically incompetent, I thought Lenovo was a software system which could include Superfish..........so might be on my HP computer!!! Have since found this article which just about sums things up:
http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/hp-sneer...fish-problems/
Silbee

06-03-2015, 12:12 PM

Americans are taking Lenovo to court and suing for a whole slew of things connected to superfish, it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Lenovo have done their credibility and standing incredible damage, I'll bet a few heads have rolled.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top