Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Re: Another Virus warning

This isn't my experience of IT systems if I'm honest and I've been in that industry for some 30 years.

Any reasonably sized company that of itself is NOT an IT Service provider, will have bought an IT service from a provider. That service will include Disaster Recovery, System Resilience, Capacity Planning and in short all the standard ITIL related services.

Having to reset or re-install a main server is inconvenient but hardly difficult. System images will take over as soon as the server has been wiped and had the OS put back on.

I can't see that anyone would remotely consider paying £1m instead of that basic disaster recovery process. HSBC, formerly Midland Bank had a huge IT division and was a prime employer of IT staff. There's just no way anyone could hack them and cause an insurmountable outage. Yes, they could cause some temporary inconvenience but not much more imo.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This isn't my experience of IT systems if I'm honest and I've been in that industry for some 30 years.

Any reasonably sized company that of itself is NOT an IT Service provider, will have bought an IT service from a provider. That service will include Disaster Recovery, System Resilience, Capacity Planning and in short all the standard ITIL related services.

Having to reset or re-install a main server is inconvenient but hardly difficult. System images will take over as soon as the server has been wiped and had the OS put back on.

I can't see that anyone would remotely consider paying £1m instead of that basic disaster recovery process. HSBC, formerly Midland Bank had a huge IT division and was a prime employer of IT staff. There's just no way anyone could hack them and cause an insurmountable outage. Yes, they could cause some temporary inconvenience but not much more imo.
For sure but we are talking about cost cutting and lazy council services ...

Lincolnshire County Council hit by £1m malware demand

Probably they don't have the best systems in place. They obviously don't as the virus has completely shut down various services.

Originally Posted by BBC News
Chief information officer Judith Hetherington-Smith said only a small number of files were affected.

She said the authority took action once the malware was identified and shut its systems down.

This meant some services were affected, including libraries and online booking systems.

Mrs Hetherington-Smith said: "People can only use pens and paper, we've gone back a few years."

Talking about the attack, she said: "It happened very quickly. Once we identified it we shut the network down, but some damage is always done before you get to that point - and some files have been locked by the software.
The above wouldn't normally be an issue but I wonder what would have happened if far more files were locked up? I think they have to repair systems first before putting them back online. They will have to implement some protection too in case of future attacks.

This is the part that tells me the backups will not completely cure the problem ...

Originally Posted by BBC News
"A lot of the files will be available for us to restore from the back-up."
Not all though so I wonder which ones they can't repair instantly? It could mean any since the backup of course which might be severe damage in itself.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 09:49 PM

Well, depending on the IT Service they use to underpin the system, there will always be some files lost.

If the service is low key, with backups taken say twice a day then obviously when you recover, you lose everything that happened between the backups. That's standard process.

You gauge the importance of such data loss against the needs of the business and if the loss is unacceptable you have a more "instant" backup service, typically mirror systems which of course you are well versed in.

It's embarrassing for Lincolnshire Council but asking £1m is a tad unrealistic I suspect.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 09:52 PM

I tried to implement 'ghosting' on my own servers running Ubuntu but it proved to be quite an headache so much so I gave up. I only backup the files and database now. Should the system break down for some reason I have to reinstall Ubuntu first along with all the configuration changes I need to make before I can reinstall the files and databases. Doesn't take that long but long enough.

I have many servers with each having an identical dormant one ready to be switched on if needs be. My main server is never off and so far proved to be ultra reliable. Great machines that I acquired at bargain prices - real powerhouses but use a fair bit of electricity.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

31-01-2016, 09:59 PM

That's definitely the best way imo. A complete duplicate server sitting there to be switched in at a moments notice if needed.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

31-01-2016, 10:15 PM

I have 2 of these servers (see attachment) that I paid just peanuts for. This one I just found on Ebay is up for sale at £3000 ...

HP ProLiant DL585 G6 4 x Six-6-Core (24 cores) 2.4Ghz 128GB 2U Rack Mount Serve
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ProLian...8AAOxyjK1RDmxh

I paid just £539.38 for my last one through Ebay from a German company and that included del! Same spec as above but with slightly more powerful processors at 2.6Ghz. I also have a powerful Dell 900 that I haven't used yet. I have 8 servers in all!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	server.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	216  

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top