Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 07:51 PM

Re: Dash Board Camera

My one concern with these cameras, esp the Netbase one recommended above, is that they will likely replace the Sat Navs as the No 1 reason for crims breaking into cars. You clearly can't leave one of these sitting their on your dash when you leave your car so it seems somewhat inconvenient to have to keep carrying it everywhere you go.

I would have thought that an integrated built-in system would be much better and by that I mean that the actual camera lens part would be entirely separate from the rest of the guts which are the processor. You should be able to install a small camera in the back of the mirror or someplace similar which is inconspicuous and which is difficult to nick on its own. These self contained all-in-one units are surely sitting ducks for theft.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 08:14 PM

My sat nav sits on a heavy base, which when not in use goes under the passenger seat with the cable. I then take the device with me.

No tell tale sucker signs on the windscreen any more.

If and when I buy a dash cam I would remove it. I'd never leave anything valuable in the car or on show.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 08:51 PM

Exactly why I remove mine when I leave the car. If it's a relatively safe place, I leave it in the glovebox; elsewhere and it goes in my pocket.
seacroft
york
seacroft is male  seacroft has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 12:49 PM

Realist, you have read my mind I fully agree with you, I would like a camera front and rear but the security aspect puts me off.
I wonder about the insurance company attitude would be about a claim you made after a break in to steal the camera as opposed to them welcoming footage of an accident.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 08:39 PM

I was in Maplins today and my favoured dashcam was reduced in price to under £120. Unfortunately for me I chose a gormless shop assistance! I also asked to see a mini camera (as seen on the cctv programme last night) and he had a sheet of paper with items on it and 'deals'. I noticed it said, for my dash cam, 'free case'. He idiotically had to go and ask someone, then check something else on the computer. His colleague told him he had to go and get a new box for me, not the item he'd pulled out from the drawer. She's face palming in frustration, and I was staggered when she said he was not new, but had been there over a year!

Anyway, I got a good deal on it, as the case itself was worth £15.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 09:47 AM

I use a Transcend DrivePro 100 - cheap enough it was slightly less than $100 (£50) but can take 1080P HD video. So far has been pretty reliable.

I never worry about people stealing it I always put up a sun shield anyway so it is hard to see.

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2016, 11:51 AM

I have mi witness cameras front and rear, it records in hi def, is WiFi and can view footage on my mobile, its hardwired into the car but is removable , not cheap at 300 quid, but would work out a lot cheaper if I ever need to prove anything to my insurer
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 07:09 PM

My on-going research into dashcams lead me to the Mobius Action Camera.

It is tiny and records great 1080p footage. No screen, just a lens recording to data card. So incredibly discrete and you could remove it each time you leave the car and pop it in your pocket. See here:

Starts recording automatically when you turn the car on, loop recording, highly configurable.

It is primarily used by hobbyists flying remote control planes and drones as it is so light and small. More and more people are realising their use as a discrete dashcam.

Bad news is they are hard to come by. Possibly being phased out even, not sure. I'm still investigating.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 07:41 PM

Some excellent Mobius samples here:

https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/video-gallery/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2016, 07:48 PM

Which? magazine list all four of its 'best buys' as Nextbase models:

1. Nextbase iN-CAR CAM 312GW Deluxe Typical price: £100.00

2. Nextbase iN-CAR CAM 212 Lite Typical price: £70.00

3. Nextbase iN-CAR CAM 512G Ultra Typical price: £161.00

4. Nextbase iN-car Cam 402G Professional Today's best price: £119.95

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top