Join for free
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 06:55 PM

Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

It's stalking me .. I feel hunted (or haunted).

I don't want it as I'm happy with my Win 7.
So for weeks I've been ignoring these boxes that pop up saying my free , magnificent, not to be missed gobbling up the world global giant Win 10 is scheduled for it's download. I've just closed the boxes. Ignored them.

And been lulled into a false sense of security.

Last night about 10.30 I wandered away from my laptop to make a cuppa.
I came back to find a countdown box ticking away with 10 minutes 58 seconds to go....... download imminent.
Argh .. after a thirty second panicked abdab I switched off my computer, blew into a brown paper bag to calm down and went to bed.
A little nervously, with nails gnawed to my elbows I switched it on today.
As soon as it loaded, as normal, .. another box popped up and launched in to its countdown.
This time I remained calm, cool and collected . I read the box properly... before I panicked.
I selected reschedule . which took me to another page with a drop box offering a delay of some hours . .. and then saw tucked at the bottom of the box a link that said Cancel.
I hit it. Whoopee!
Next I was asked again if I'd like to Cancel or Proceed.
I selected Cancel again and the box vanished.
My blood pressure dropped and I went off for some nibbles.
I came back to find another box had popped up asking if I'd like to download now or later tonight.

I'm piggin sick of all this. I'm considering suing Microsoft for unnecessary harassment and emotional and mental distress.
Why can't they damn well just accept I don't want Win 10.

I almost put this in the grumble section .. I feel so much better for my gripe.
I shall now have a wander in webland and then disconnect from my network where Win 10 is lurking in shadows waiting to pounce.

Seriously .. is anyone else getting this bother and how have they avoided it
I'm just plain thick and non-techno.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 07:02 PM

Re: Win 10 worse than a blasted, pushy door to door salesman

Ahhhh I have a similar problem Morty

I am being stalked by W10 too , it creeps onto the screen when I am not looking and I zap it then it creeps back again.
I am thinking of getting a rolled up newspaper to whack it with

I think there may be a way of turning it off somewhere, try asking Google ...
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 07:22 PM

i got my little window to stay on my toolbar,watching every move i take lol
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 07:27 PM

Thing is one day you will have to use W10. maybe not this year but you will.

Embrace the monster.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 07:41 PM

Morty, are you receiving updates from microsoft?
I switched them off as soon as I purchased this computer a couple of years ago and have not received any prompting to download W10.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 08:19 PM

I've never used it, so can't help with usage but I read that many use a program called 'GWX Control Panel'. It can be downloaded from the site linked to below where there is also a video to watch.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...rol_panel.html

You probably aren't plain thick and non-techno but if not confident in ways of looking after the computer, it might be best to get someone nearby with some knowledge to help you out with it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 09:15 PM

I think I read somewhere that there is a specific Windows update that causes these annoying 'reminders'.

I don't know which one, but if you can google it you should be able to delete it. Then keep a record of the KB number so that if Windows Update should list it again, you can choose not to download it.

You need to set Windows Update to only download updates and not automatically install them.

Edit:
Here it is:
http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-...fication-tray/

And here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...rever-3614204/
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by JBR;906901[B
]I think I read somewhere that there is a specific Windows update that causes these annoying 'reminders'.[/B]

I don't know which one, but if you can google it you should be able to delete it. Then keep a record of the KB number so that if Windows Update should list it again, you can choose not to download it.

You need to set Windows Update to only download updates and not automatically install them.

Edit:
Here it is:
http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-...fication-tray/
It used to be something to do with Windows Update KB3035583, and GWXUX.EXE I found out what to do with them on some site and followed their instructions to get rid of them and get no problems with my space being invaded now
Edited
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 09:25 PM

Yes, follow the explanations in either of my links and you should have extricated yourself from the claws of Windows 10.

Having said that, there is an argument for 'upgrading'. If you leave it much longer you'll find that there is a charge for upgrading to W10.

Also, there will eventually cease to be any support for W7.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 09:55 PM

Oh ..I'm so so glad I had a good moan now.

Thanks for your help everyone .. I've saved the links, had a read and it sounds within my level of competence so I'll tackle the brute tomorrow.
Gosh .. I'm so happy I could hug you all ..so I shall

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top