Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 06:00 PM

Re: Google Chrome

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Pesta, I love Vista, it's faster than a speeding bullet and it gives me no trouble whatsoever. I think your computer is to blame for being slow. And now that Google have withdrawn support for Vista It's always just as I left it when I fire it up....Marvelous!
I have two old laptops (apart from my new one - in for repair - and my last one which I'm using now). One runs XP and the other the dreaded Vista.

I keep thinking that I must get them out and see just how well (if at all) they run. Both batteries are no doubt flat, but I tend to use them with mains power anyway.

Yes, there's probably a lot to be said for avoiding 'updates'.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have two old laptops (apart from my new one - in for repair - and my last one which I'm using now). One runs XP and the other the dreaded Vista.

I keep thinking that I must get them out and see just how well (if at all) they run. Both batteries are no doubt flat, but I tend to use them with mains power anyway.

Yes, there's probably a lot to be said for avoiding 'updates'.
I must admit that I have never used XP JB, I sort of leapfrogged it. I was running Windows 98 until that desktop computer failed, the next desktop I bought was pre loaded with Vista and I must say I really liked it. Although I was running some software programmes on 98 that would not run on Vista, I was sad to lose those programmes but hey ho, progress and all that.

Couple of years later I bought this Netbook with Windows 7 on. I've had quite a few problems with it, but I might be expecting too much from the Netbook rather than the O/S.

Each time Microsoft bring out a new O/S the user seems to get less and less control. With Vista I can delve deep into the bowels of the system to make any changes or modifications. I find with Windows 7 I can't access all areas and I believe that on Windows 10 even more control is taken out of the hands of the operator.

Obviously when the time comes to replace my computers (which won't be too long now) I will accept the current O/S but my first job will be to try and take back control by preventing updates.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2016, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I must admit that I have never used XP JB, I sort of leapfrogged it. I was running Windows 98 until that desktop computer failed, the next desktop I bought was pre loaded with Vista and I must say I really liked it. Although I was running some software programmes on 98 that would not run on Vista, I was sad to lose those programmes but hey ho, progress and all that.

Couple of years later I bought this Netbook with Windows 7 on. I've had quite a few problems with it, but I might be expecting too much from the Netbook rather than the O/S.

Each time Microsoft bring out a new O/S the user seems to get less and less control. With Vista I can delve deep into the bowels of the system to make any changes or modifications. I find with Windows 7 I can't access all areas and I believe that on Windows 10 even more control is taken out of the hands of the operator.

Obviously when the time comes to replace my computers (which won't be too long now) I will accept the current O/S but my first job will be to try and take back control by preventing updates.
You make a good point about control, or lack of it. It has been a long time since I used either Vista or XP, but I have clear recollections of finding XP far superior to Vista, although I'm afraid I cannot be specific now.

More recently, running two laptops - one Windows 7; the other Windows 10 - I can confirm that I feel less in control with W10 than with W7. For one thing, with W7 I had the choice of whether or not to download and install Windows Updates; with W10 I have found a trick to delay (but not indefinitely) the download of Windows Updates by stating that I am on a metered connection (I'm not). Unfortunately, having tried that for a while, Windows eventually forced my hand into accepting the updates. More recently, following the so-called Anniversary Update, I can no longer even find this option of delaying updates.

I have the distinct impression that Microsoft are aiming to take full control of any computers running their OS. If they do head towards that situation, they will lose at least one customer to either Apple or Linux.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You make a good point about control, or lack of it. It has been a long time since I used either Vista or XP, but I have clear recollections of finding XP far superior to Vista, although I'm afraid I cannot be specific now.

More recently, running two laptops - one Windows 7; the other Windows 10 - I can confirm that I feel less in control with W10 than with W7. For one thing, with W7 I had the choice of whether or not to download and install Windows Updates; with W10 I have found a trick to delay (but not indefinitely) the download of Windows Updates by stating that I am on a metered connection (I'm not). Unfortunately, having tried that for a while, Windows eventually forced my hand into accepting the updates. More recently, following the so-called Anniversary Update, I can no longer even find this option of delaying updates.

I have the distinct impression that Microsoft are aiming to take full control of any computers running their OS. If they do head towards that situation, they will lose at least one customer to either Apple or Linux.
Thanks for that JB, I have also considered the possibility of trying out Apple just to see what the difference is. Perhaps some Apple user could enlighten us as to the benefits...Or not!

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top