Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 12:25 PM

Re: Disable Windows 10 Updates

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Quite obviously what you are saying is complete bollox because the video shows you how to turn off Windows 10 updates for ever if you so desire.
Agreed. I've been using a Microsoft operating systems for 22 years now and always accepted the upgrades and updates as soon as they have been made available. I've also been a member of one forum or another for about 20 years, mostly reading or contributing to the computer forums.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that there have always been contributors who strongly criticise any new Microsoft operating system. This was certainly the with Windows 95, XP and Windows 7 all of which are now thought to have been Microsoft's best releases. Yet I used to get into dreadful arguments when these operating systems were new because I said they were good. However, time passes and tell me now that W.95, XP and W.7 are/were bad operating systems.

I pretty much don't care what OS people use these days and have got a bit tired of regularly writing about them but when bollox is posted, it is hard not to respond. Do what you feel is right people but me? I've got 3 computers running Windows 10, all with the latest updates installed. They work well. I install updates because despite all the dire warnings about big bad Microsoft, they produce operating systems that I like. Any updates released for their operating systems have only rarely had some bad or retrograde effect.

I'm quite OK about accepting that Microsoft are the developers and will therefore know more about what an operating system needs than I do ..or anyone else for that matter. Updates are just updates is all and not a way of Microsoft exercising spending or mind control. The same applies to the operating system itself. It is just a platform for installing and running programs on. Windows 10, correctly installed and set up, will do this very well. How anyone might be branded 'sheeple' for accepting updates for it is beyond me.

I'd agree that the effects of updates may not be noticeable but even so, I personally see no point in turning them down. However, as shown by Bruce, this can be done if you wish.

Microsoft publish a page showing what Windows 10 updates contain. I know there will be those sceptical about these being the entire story. However 22 years of using Microsoft operating systems and counting for me and still nothing of life-changing significance to report. Here's a link to the update page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...update-history
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 02:34 PM

And that's all fine Mart, but equally I've run with MS operating systems for many years and never once taken an update and I too have never noticed any problem. AT no stage was I ever disadvantaged by not having those updates. The vast majority of people just let their PCs install them automatically because of the "campaign of fear" put out. They think there are monsters out there and that the updates will make them "safe".

Originally Posted by Mart
The same applies to the operating system itself. It is just a platform for installing and running programs on.
But it's not is it?

The update that MS put out to all its end-users running older versions was not JUST an update was it?

It was a purposeful infection of everyone's machine to initiate and trigger a complete swap out of their operating system. That's not an update, that's a disgusting liberty and very much malpractice.

Imagine paying your window cleaner each week and giving him free access to the front and back of your property and then coming home one day to find that he had painted all the window woodwork bright blue and the brickwork bright pink. You would be livid.

It would clearly be a complete abuse of the privileged position he was given to have access to your property for the sole purpose of cleaning the windows.

This is what MS did with W10. They abused their privileged position of being able to access to people's machines, a privilege founded on the principle of updating the existing operating system, and used it to install software that would totally replace that operating system and install a completely different one. No regard to anyone's data, or to any software they might have that needs to run on Win 7 or 8.

They just muscled in there, abused the Windows Update facility and forced W10 onto people's machines. People could delay it, but once the nefarious software update had done its work, the O/S replacement was unavoidable for most users. Only the tech savvy knew how to regress the machine, delete the offending update and restore normality.

As I said before, these are NOT the actions of an open and honest company. You don't get car dealers suddenly changing your entire car interior when you take it in for a service, you don't get surgeons removing your organs at will when all you went in for was an appendix removal.

MS did this for very specific reasons and anyone who can't see that really needs a check up from the neck up. They have bullied the Sheeple and naïve and forced a new system onto their PCs. What will follow in due course is as obvious as the day is long.

Sure, right now it "looks" like an O/S but once the hammer falls, it will all change. There WILL be some significant updates and they will be unavoidable. MS now has control and they will imo use that control to force updates either using the software itself or by making updates a condition of your license or by removing your access to sites and functionality. All imho.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Win 7 works just fine. It's robust as hell, needs no updates whatsoever and keeps me in control of MY computer.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 02:56 PM

As a result of this discussion I just couldn't help but go have a peek at the Windows License Agreement for W10. Here it is:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Uset...10_English.htm

Some clauses:

Section 6

Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice

Also, MS have updated their Privacy Policy (as of Nov 2016).
https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-gb/privacystatement/

"Microsoft uses the data we collect to provide you the products we offer, which includes using data to improve and personalize your experiences. . . . And we use data to help show more relevant ads, whether in our own products like MSN and Bing, or in products offered by third parties."

"we combine data we collect to give you a more seamless, consistent and personalized experience. For example . . . Windows Store can use information about the apps and services you use to make personalized app recommendations.

Yep, sell, sell, sell !

"We share data we collect with third parties such as AOL and AppNexus so that they can select and deliver some of the ads you see on our sites and apps, as well as other sites and apps serviced by these partners. The ads that you see may be selected based on your current location, search query, or the content you are viewing. Other ads are targeted based on your likely interests or other information learned about you over time using demographic data, search queries, interests and favorites, usage data from our own sites and apps and the sites and apps of our advertisers and partners, and location data - which we refer to as "interest-based advertising" in this statement"

"Additionally, Microsoft partners with third-party ad companies to help provide some of our advertising services, and we also allow other third-party ad companies to display advertisements on our sites. These third parties may place cookies on your computer and collect data about your online activities across websites or online services. These companies currently include, but are not limited to: A9, AOL Advertising, AppNexus, Criteo, Facebook, MediaMath, nugg.adAG, Rocket Fuel, Yahoo!. "

Then there's the MS Service Agreement (also part of the whole license)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/servicesagreement/

"We may automatically check your version of the software, which is necessary to provide the Services, and download software updates or configuration changes, without charging you, to update, enhance and further develop the Services. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services. Such updates shall be subject to these Terms unless additional or other terms accompany the updates, in which case, those other terms apply. If you decline to accept the additional or other terms applicable to the updates, you may not receive or use the updates. Microsoft isn't obligated to make any updates available and doesn't guarantee that we will support the version of the system for which you licensed the software."
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

27-01-2017, 02:58 PM

The changes to the agreements were also spotted and reported by this website:

http://www.cio.com/article/2949626/w...0-license.html

"Windows users will no longer be able to pick and choose which individual updates they want to install. It's all or nothing, and if users opt out of accepting updates, Microsoft will eventually stop sending security updates all together. The EULA is explicit: "You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."
gvm
Sussex, UK
gvm is male  gvm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 03:15 PM

I'm with you completely on this Realist. I've used Windows for most of 20 years, never much liked Microsoft's marketing strategy, and think they've got a whole lot worse now. Because of this I've recently started using Linux and it's a very liberating feeling. I'm still finding I need Windows for one or two things (maybe because I'm not good enough with Linux yet) but I love it. Stuff Microsoft
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by gvm ->
I'm with you completely on this Realist. I've used Windows for most of 20 years, never much liked Microsoft's marketing strategy, and think they've got a whole lot worse now. Because of this I've recently started using Linux and it's a very liberating feeling. I'm still finding I need Windows for one or two things (maybe because I'm not good enough with Linux yet) but I love it. Stuff Microsoft
Well done gym! - At last someone who doesn't like Microsoft and has decided to do something about it rather than just grumble. I'm all in favour of that. If, as a home user, you don't like MS Windows, try something else.

I like Microsoft operating systems and don't mind the terms and conditions. However, I also like Linux and could easily switch to it if unhappy with a Microsoft operating system. Seems that so many grumble but still use Microsoft.

Ubuntu, Zorin or Mint would certainly be good alternatives for an MS Windows operating system. These are quite Windows 7(ish) in fact.

Originally Posted by Realist ->
And that's all fine Mart, but equally I've run with MS operating systems for many years and never once taken an update and I too have never noticed any problem. AT no stage was I ever disadvantaged by not having those updates. The vast majority of people just let their PCs install them automatically because of the "campaign of fear" put out. They think there are monsters out there and that the updates will make them "safe".
I'm saying just the opposite. I've never been disadvantaged by accepting the updates. I accept them not out of fear but because as said, Microsoft are the developers and I reckon that they know more about what is good for the system than you or I. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting them install.

Imagine paying your window cleaner each week and giving him free access to the front and back of your property and then coming home one day to find that he had painted all the window woodwork bright blue and the brickwork bright pink. You would be livid.

It would clearly be a complete abuse of the privileged position he was given to have access to your property for the sole purpose of cleaning the windows.
I don't think these comparisons ever really work Realist. I still think W.10 is just an operating system to run programs on. If that ever changes, there are other options. We have argued before about Windows 10 (check back in the threads) and I really don't want to keep running over the same ground. Suffice it to say I reckon I'm right and you aren't. So be it. I expect we'll both carry on regardless.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by gvm ->
I too have tried Linux and I still use Ubuntu on one older Dell machine and it works very well for the purpose to which it is put, certainly there is a fair amount of software for it now.

Even Linux has updates though, most of which improve it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 03:34 AM

Truthfully I believe you are being naive Bruce, but I know from your previous posts that you won't be changing your mind.

How MS acts today, with W10 just rolled out will be different to how MS act tomorrow once they have established the userbase they want.

<Big Bullshit Snip>
You can waffle on all you like but the basic premise of your argument is dead in the water. You can turn off automatic updates completely FULL STOP.

The rest of your long tedious ramble is pure speculation as to what M$ might do in the future. This pointless speculation is rendered even more stupid because never has M$ had more competition from Apple, Linux and Android OSs so they are not going to do anything which further erodes their user base.

This M$ user base you claim they are building is actually down from nearly 16% in 2012 to 11% in 2015. Facts which make your speculations even more absurd.

But, hey, why let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

28-01-2017, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Even Linux has updates though, most of which improve it.
Very true. I was running Linux Mint and that gets plenty of updates. Far more than Windows 10 does.

Unfortunately, the computer I was running Linux on has recently gone wrong hardware-wise, so I haven't got Linux as an interest at present.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2017, 12:22 PM

When a manufacturer as large as MS puts a product into the marketplace it has ensure that the image of that product is positive.

In spite of all the testing they will have done, in house, there are bound to be glitches when the package hits the man in the street. There are so many permutations, out, there, that anything else would be odd.

For image reasons MS will always be watching the flow of concerns, as they hit the web , and they will be ready to create fixes where issues arise which could hit their market.

These fixes will be called "updates". (as distinct from upgrades which are(often purchased) changes to the design of the machine).

One problem, with this approach, is that many of the millions of owners will never apply any of these updates, either because they are fearful or because they don't think they will ever have a problem. if they think like that then there will still be a growing hit on the image (via web) or the support system.

As a result, MS have to draw a balance between those image whackers and customer satisfaction.

In the end, I guess they have no choice other than to think in terms of "No updates = no support".

MS might be forgiven for getting irritable if they constantly have to say that that problem was fixed last year !

So, yes, turn updates off, if you wish, but don't slam MS if you miss a big fix.

Some apps might even cause problems - yes, once again you can't match everyone's configuration - but these incidents are few.

Additionally, some words have been said suggesting that Windows 10 Apps are all about making money.

That is a joke. What are companies in business to do?

If the mobile phone business and the PC business continue to get closer then you have to set your new products up to match.

Note: I have about a dozen apps on my W10 - and have paid nothing for them.

Like some, I always go with the updates - sometimes I hold off, for a few days until the furore diminishes.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top