Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 01:33 PM

Re: Disable Windows 10 Updates

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Buy a Mac! Simples
Or a Chromebook
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Or a Chromebook
The unofficial Chromebook support page is a bit bi-lateral about this!

https://chromebook.guide/chromebook-virus-removal/

First it says it cannot happen but then it goes on to tell you what to do when it does!

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
All BS imo

Of course MS will say that. They want people on W10 and to take all their controlling updates. As usual the "Campaign of Fear" tactic is being used.
Microsoft has issued the required patch for XP and W.8:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/05/...-windows-8-xp/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2017, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Microsoft has issued the required patch for XP and W.8:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/05/...-windows-8-xp/
Hopefully, Mart, one or two will get it and install it.

It appears to be at this Microsoft page:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...crypt-attacks/

If you click on that you can then select your download according to which pc Windows you have.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2017, 11:07 AM

I found this Microsoft page too where the patch (MS17-010) is available:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012598/title

Those on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 should have received it as a Windows Update (providing they do them). Other than that, it can be downloaded using Method 2 as described in the page linked to above. However, the link provided for that sometimes doesn't work. Maybe I'm not the only one trying it.

I know there are people here who don't do updates and as said earlier, I'm not sure how vulnerable home users are to this malware. Being careful about e-mail links/attachments and knowing what should and shouldn't be done might be thought good enough.

Nonetheless, it seems prudent to me to install the patch just in case user vigilance or practices lapse by accident. I'm not sure if the virus can spread via drive-by methods but it seems chancy to think it couldn't.

If a mistake is made, we have to hope the installed patch will not let the malware run. Some people purposely put that kind of thing to the test. Kudos to them. I wouldn't want to go seeking out the malware myself just to see if the patch works or not.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Shame they did not support their old systems with these vital updates.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I found this Microsoft page too where the patch (MS17-010) is available:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012598/title

Those on Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 should have received it as a Windows Update (providing they do them). Other than that, it can be downloaded using Method 2 as described in the page linked to above. However, the link provided for that sometimes doesn't work. Maybe I'm not the only one trying it.

I know there are people here who don't do updates and as said earlier, I'm not sure how vulnerable home users are to this malware. Being careful about e-mail links/attachments and knowing what should and shouldn't be done might be thought good enough.

Nonetheless, it seems prudent to me to install the patch just in case user vigilance or practices lapse by accident. I'm not sure if the virus can spread via drive-by methods but it seems chancy to think it couldn't.

If a mistake is made, we have to hope the installed patch will not let the malware run. Some people purposely put that kind of thing to the test. Kudos to them. I wouldn't want to go seeking out the malware myself just to see if the patch works or not.
Because of the threat of this particular hack, yesterday evening I re-enabled Windows Updates on my laptop and ran the update downloads.

At bedtime, I re-started the computer, as suggested, and waited. It didn't take long so, once finished, I turned off the computer for the night only to be confronted by the "Do not turn off your computer" message.

After waiting for about an hour for it to finish, I gave up and went to bed.

Fortunately, this morning, it had turned off.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

14-05-2017, 04:51 PM

I think you are right Galty. If something as serious as this could have been averted with a patch, it should have been issued for old systems as well. Should Microsoft have seen this coming? Maybe yes and maybe no ..but they must have known hospitals were still running on old systems.

It's a difficult situation altogether. XP has been around for a long time and Microsoft gave good warning that it was going to become unsupported with security updates. They even extended the cut off date to give businesses and organisations more time to go to a later system. How long is the manufacturer of any product expected to support a model that is years old?

Microsoft have broken the mould and issued a patch for XP well past its end of life date in response to the situation but in retrospect, they should have issued it at the time when it was issued for newer systems. Hindsight is a great thing though.

Unfortunately, no matter how much notice organisations are given that a system is coming to the end of life, there's no good time to upgrade. I don't know what would be involved in upgrading a computer system such as the NHS uses but maybe parts of it would need to be taken down while upgrading is done. Records would be unavailable for a while etc. This is something that would be inconvenient or even impossible at times for them and us.

I don't particularly blame Microsoft or the NHS for this situation, only the person or persons who put the ransomware out there ..and now, time and taxpayers money is going to have to be put into the prevention of further occurrences. Maybe they ought to buy some filing cabinets and folders instead.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Regarding support cut-off dates I wonder, now that Windows 10 has been proclaimed to be the last version of Windows, whether it will be fully supported for all time.

If so, then that is good news and those of us who now have that OS can rest assured that it will never become an unsupported system.

Unless...

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top