Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 12:29 PM

Re: Cheap Microsoft office?

This happens when I try to exit a document - MSW requests an account name number, despite my account already being opened and recognised by the document.

It seems to be a common problem and there are several solutions, mostly related to "Credentials" on the internet.

Has anyone else encountered this .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 01:05 PM

I don't have an MS account so it's never been a problem. Are your documents being loaded up to MS's One Drive for storage automatically and it's this that's asking for your account number?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 01:18 PM

Apparently, the Office Upload Center will be on your PC if you’ve installed Microsoft Office. You’ll often see it in your system tray–its normal icon is an orange circle with an up arrow on it. The icon changes when there’s an error or other problem, giving you immediate feedback.

https://www.howtogeek.com/253587/wha...ou-disable-it/

What Does It Do?

When you save a Microsoft Office file to an online location–for example, when you save a file to Microsoft OneDrive or a SharePoint server–Office doesn’t just save the file directly to that server. Instead, it saves the file to the “Office Document Cache” on your computer. Office then uploads that cached file to the server and handles any connection or file conflict problems.

For example, if you’re working with a spotty Internet connection, you can save a file to the remote server and Office will upload that file later on, when you have a solid Internet connection. If there’s a problem uploading a file, Office can keep that local copy and inform you of the problem. If the remote server itself has a problem, Office can hold onto its local copy and upload the file when the server comes back online.

The Office Upload Center gives you a way to view these upload tasks and interact with them, which is especially helpful if there’s a problem. If there’s a problem, you’ll get a notification and you can deal with it. You can view pending uploads, view completed uploads, and view all cached files.

This tool does feel a bit redundant if you’re using Microsoft OneDrive, as Windows 10 and 8.1 both include built-in support for OneDrive.
AFAIK, I can't disable OUC but, seemingly, amending "Credentials" may stop the interaction.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2017, 01:45 PM

I haven't got the upload centre running on my copy but ran it manually from the Start button. I notice that there is a pause button in the upload window (right click on the icon) so perhaps you could keep it on pause, i.e. never synch? I managed to get rid of the thing by killing its process in Task Manager.

Have a look in your Word preferences to see if the function can be disabled permanently.

ETA: Look on the File menu of Word and click on Account. See if you can sign out there.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-09-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I haven't got the upload centre running on my copy but ran it manually from the Start button. I notice that there is a pause button in the upload window (right click on the icon) so perhaps you could keep it on pause, i.e. never synch? I managed to get rid of the thing by killing its process in Task Manager.

Have a look in your Word preferences to see if the function can be disabled permanently.

ETA: Look on the File menu of Word and click on Account. See if you can sign out there.
So your version of MSO 2016 is different .....

I've followed internet-supplied advice and deleted a couple of credentials and that may have done the trick ..... I'll let you know .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

04-09-2017, 02:08 PM

Didn't you say you installed your copy differently, by using your MS account?

I just used the supplied key.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Didn't you say you installed your copy differently, by using your MS account?

I just used the supplied key.
My installation instructions:

STEPS to INSTALL:

1- Visit the official MICROSOFT OFFICE Install site:

https://setup.office.com or www.office.com/setup

**If any website asks for tel number, bank/card details etc then you are on the WRONG website as searches for the website bring up wrong websites therefore please go to the above official directly.**

Alternatively, you can skip the above and use a direct install link.

DIRECT INSTALL LINKS:

32bit Setup Direct Download:

http://tiny.cc/office201632bit

64bit Setup Direct Download:

http://tiny.cc/office201664bit

2-Then proceed to sign in or create a new account (2 mins)

3- Then enter the key above into the ORANGE BOX.
After it has verified, choose country and language.
Click next and download the small file in the next process.
Run this file to install office. It downloads and installs office 2016

4-Wait for the installation to complete. An Orange box will appear followed by a large white box. This is installing and downloading the office suite.

Once installed please open any of the Office 2016 packages (Word, Excel etc) and it will finalise the activation once your online and using the software. It may prompt you again for the license key. Choose to ACTIVATE using the KEY rather than sign in with your account.

Your license key is valid for the lifetime of that PC. There are no time restrictions.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

04-09-2017, 05:17 PM

Exactly the same email that I got, the only thing I didn't do in the instructions is to log into my MS account (haven't got one) or create a new account. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

Perhaps your method of installation set things up slightly different and launches the Office Upload component automatically?

That's weird - just had a pop-up inviting me to sign in/sign up to One-Drive while I was typing this. Will have to check what's starting up when my PC boots and disable it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-09-2017, 06:17 PM

Exactly the same email that I got, the only thing I didn't do in the instructions is to log into my MS account (haven't got one) or create a new account. Sod that for a game of soldiers.

Perhaps your method of installation set things up slightly different and launches the Office Upload component automatically?
Could be .....

That's weird - just had a pop-up inviting me to sign in/sign up to One-Drive while I was typing this. Will have to check what's starting up when my PC boots and disable it.
I think MSO 16 comes with a new version of OneDrive .....

What Windows version are you on?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

04-09-2017, 09:35 PM

I'm on Windows 7 Premium with Service Pack 1.

You are correct, the program comes with OneDrive and Skype as standard, two programs that I won't be using. My old version of Office allowed you to choose which components of the Office Suite you installed, each of those separate components could also be uninstalled separately. With this version it's all or nothing.

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top