Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 04:50 PM

Re: Tiled bathroom.

Floor tiles are slightly darker again
Hexagonal! They're my favourite bit

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180828_164505.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	6964  
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 05:01 PM

There aren't any skirting boards now either so it can be washed like a wetroom
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I'm soon to have a new bathroom & I'm thinking of having it tiled all over to save any future decorating.

At the moment it's tiled half way with wall paper on the top half.

I can't decide if it would look too clinical if it was tiled all over.

Any thoughts/ideas?
We wouldn't have ours tiled again Carol. It was tiled from floor to ceiling three years ago and it's ready for re grouting again, especially in the shower cubicle.
Re grouting is hard tedious work, and grouting attracts algae and mould no matter how clean you keep it.
There are large waterproof panels that can be glued to the walls, just like those installed in some hotels, and because there are very few joints, there is no need to re grout every so often and will last virtually forever....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Im floor to. ceiling tiles in most bathrooms but one I have half tiled and paint above but thats being changed eventually to tilled all over

The only concession I made, was I didn't want tiled floors so I have Lino - which looks like tiles lol
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 10:12 PM

we recently had our en suite completely refurbished
before shower unit etc was fitted in but shows the tiles used

Now here is a tip for you

ask how many sq metres of tiles needed, then go to a tiles wharehouse and get end of line, which is what we did for the above picture. Those tiles were normally £25 a box and we got them for £10 a box plus a couple of boxes for nothing as they could not restock, saved us £150 in total. we got 15 sq mtres for the en suite

Or you could go for something like our main bathroom which we also completely refurbished
Note the line of tiles to add a bit of colour

thinking back would have not used white tiles but as now done etc
So may give some ideas Carol. The en suite we had laid in brick style which looks so much better. Also had in there LED ceiling lights fitted , so much better than the original ones

as usually I took photos of before during and finish, handy to know the pipe runs under the floor as we had the heated towel rail moved as well

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
We wouldn't have ours tiled again Carol. It was tiled from floor to ceiling three years ago and it's ready for re grouting again, especially in the shower cubicle.
Re grouting is hard tedious work, and grouting attracts algae and mould no matter how clean you keep it.
There are large waterproof panels that can be glued to the walls, just like those installed in some hotels, and because there are very few joints, there is no need to re grout every so often and will last virtually forever....

I think this might be the stuff you mean Foxy?

http://www.wetwall.com/

Or these people:

https://wetwallworks.co.uk/wall-panels/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:16 PM

not seen those wet wall types but I do have to query what is used to stick them to the walls Slightest place missed and steam would soon have all that down making a real mess.

As for grouting of which I have done loads of in previous properties we had, never once had alge or mould occur.

What I suspect is originally the grouting was not done properly or worse poor quality grout which is more likely as it can go off if stored for some time first just like plaster.

As long as tiled walls are dried off after a shower and air left to circulate, then one should not have any problems
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
not seen those wet wall types but I do have to query what is used to stick them to the walls Slightest place missed and steam would soon have all that down making a real mess.

As for grouting of which I have done loads of in previous properties we had, never once had alge or mould occur.

What I suspect is originally the grouting was not done properly or worse poor quality grout which is more likely as it can go off if stored for some time first just like plaster.

As long as tiled walls are dried off after a shower and air left to circulate, then one should not have any problems

Not true here, I'm afraid.

My tiles are always towel dried and the window left open, yet mould still starts if I am not vigilant.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 07:43 AM

I thought mouldy grout was a thing of the past.

We had our bathroom redone 4 or 5 years ago and there is no sign of mould. Nowadays you can get Anti-Mould Grout, and there are products advertised as Water-Repellent & Anti-Mould. And I don't know the name of the one I bought but it definitely works.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 07:52 AM

I'm just wondering if you can hang a mirror and a bathroom cabinet on tiled walls..

Do they look right?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top