Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:19 PM

Preparing for winter..

Do you do anything to build up your resistance against winter illnesses?

Last year I caught some sort of bug in January - very similar to flu. I took to my bed for a week and just when I though it was going, it started again. I felt dreadfully washed out & developed a cough that wouldn't go away.

Eventually it drove me to see the doctor but though she sympathised with me she said it wasn't an infection so there was nothing to treat it with. I just had to 'sit it out'

It was towards the end on March before I started to feel a bit better. I lost two whole months by feeling ill. The winter passed in a blur!!

I dread it happening again - is there something I can do to build up my immunity?

Echinasea - is that any good?

What (if anything) do you do to protect yourself from winter ailments?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:38 PM

Re: Preparing for winter..

Realist will be along to tell You exactly what to do but it's up to You to decide to act upon His advice.....As for Me..I keep My Home warm when it's cold outside,I make lots of vegetable soups & curries...eat more fruit..get outside and walk,exercise..make sure I have honey for hot drinks if I get a cold or sore throat..I take a vit' D/C./B complex/Codliver oil tab every day...and hope for the best
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Carol, yes Echinacea is good!
Says so in the Lancet so it must be true!
And I read that Elderberry syrup is excellent
And I make myself a disgusting looking immune booster which involves zapping root ginger and whole lemons, adding organic honey, lovely to sup in bed instead of tea while reading my book

I intend to do all three
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Realist will be along to tell You exactly what to do but it's up to You to decide to act upon His advice.....As for Me..I keep My Home warm when it's cold outside,I make lots of vegetable soups & curries...eat more fruit..get outside and walk,exercise..make sure I have honey for hot drinks if I get a cold or sore throat..I take a vit' D/C./B complex/Codliver oil tab every day...and hope for the best
I do likewise May apart from the vit's
I dont tend to mingle amongst large crowds also...I prefer staying in so thats easy tbh
I never tend to get any nasties over winter and havnt done for a long time now. (Hope it doesnt talk it up now)
As for Realist posting ,I always read his posts with interest as theyre extremely informative and helpful.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:28 PM

Interestingly I was perusing only this afternoon a university related website which was listing the:

11 Best Flu Remedies Backed by Scientific Studies

It's interesting.

I didn't know about the No 1 on that list, Oregano Oil but I will be doing my research on it tonight.

The link is here but I can only view the Googled Cached version on my netbook for some reason

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&gbv=1&ct=clnk

Just google the bold title above and you'll get it.

To answer your initial question yes I take precautions. I frequently cruise in Sept/Oct every year and as cruises are typically full of old unhygienic people, many of whom have fallen for the Campaign Of Fear and had flu shots, it is imperative to boost one's immune system prior to sailing.
Their colds, flus and other bugs sweep around a cruise ship like wild fire.

Firstly, I make the lemon, ginger and honey drink that I have highlighted in numerous other threads and which other forum members have since tried themselves and benefited from.

This involves taking a full lemon, peel, pith, juice, everything, except the pips and blitzing it in a blender with about 2 inches of fresh ginger and some hot water.
It creates a milky lemony liquid which I then treat as a concentrate. I use it by putting about an inch of the concentrate in a mug, fill with hot water and add a tiny bit of good honey for sweetness and it's own benefits.

The vitamins and pectin from the lemons are ultra powerful and will sort out cold/flu symptoms pretty quickly if the condition hasn't set right in yet. As a preventative it is excellent, boosting your vitamin C and other levels significantly.

The second thing I do is ensure I have plenty of Grapefruit Seed Extract to hand and I take it wherever I travel, esp on cruises. This cures a whole host of conditions very quickly. Predominently I take it on cruises in case Norovirus appears. GSE kills the bugs in hours and has you right as rain within about 12 hrs whereas those who don't take it typically suffer vomiting and dihorrhea for 72hrs.

GSE also cures water infections overnight and things like cystitis for women.

Other readers here will also know I make and eat Sauerkraut which contains tons of natural probiotics, usually at least 4 separate strains. Hugely beneficial to gut flora and efficient working of the intestines. This is essential for the body to be able to do lots of other things. A heathly gut is one of the body's primary "engines".

I generally also have a small bottle of concentrated Sage extract. I put a few drops in tea. It tastes nice and Sage has a lot of health benefits.

Finally I put plenty of garlic in to many things I cook. It's the single most powerful and useful plant out there imo. It has over 300 active compounds all working in harmony. Compare that to a paracetamol tablet which has but one active ingredient. Garlic's health benefits are indisputable and have been recorded for 1000s of years.

Otherwise it is the usual diet of lots of fresh vegetables and fruit, little processed food, rigorous examination of product labels to exclude any product that is laden with sugar, natural or otherwise. No fruit juices, no fizzy drinks, no cereals except 100% whole wheat and oats.

Good thread, interested to hear what others have found useful.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I do likewise May apart from the vit's
I dont tend to mingle amongst large crowds also...I prefer staying in so thats easy tbh
I never tend to get any nasties over winter and havnt done for a long time now. (Hope it doesnt talk it up now)
As for Realist posting ,I always read his posts with interest as theyre extremely informative and helpful.
That's good Aysa and best to keep on doing what works for Us...I forgot to say I take 2 tbsp of applecider vinegar with a drop of honey in a glass of water each morn too...here's to a healthy cold/flu free Winter.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:33 PM

I have been having a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice most mornings for several months now and I'm hoping that will help me avoid the worst and I believe it's what lowered my cholesterol reading, but it's always really tricky at Christmas & New Year when you mix with and embrace or kiss lots of people. That usually catches me out because beforehand you are stressed running around to get things done, it's cold, dark and miserable. What has worked for me in the past has been to have a wintersun holiday in December. Usually to Tenerife. For some reason that gives my own immunity a much-needed boost.

I'd also recommend yoga if you can do it.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:33 PM

That's good Aysa and best to keep on doing what works for Us...I forgot to say I take 2 tbsp of applecider vinegar with a drop of honey in a glass of water each morn too...here's to a healthy cold/flu free Winter.
Absolutely May !!! lol
I also love loads of garlic in its raw state and also cooked too ...also extra virgin olive oil . I also have Grapefruit seed extract tablets on hand
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 05:35 PM

I forgot to say I take 2 tbsp of applecider vinegar with a drop of honey in a glass of water each morn too...here's to a healthy cold/flu free Winter.
There's an absolute plethora of testimonies advocating ACV so I have no doubt that's giving you lots of benefit.

I tried to take some a couple of years ago, the real stuff with "mother" etc but I found it really acidic and it upset my stomach, even a tiny amount in a full glass of water. It's frustrating because I really would like to get the benefit of that.

I'm not sure whether I could add an alkali to it to neutralise the pH of the drink. Well I'm sure I could, but I don't know whether that then negates the benefits.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND

11-09-2018, 05:40 PM

I put a quart teaspoon of bicarb' in Braggs ...can't remember why though,lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top