Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 09:55 PM

Re: Why Did You Forsake Us Ireland?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But who are being polled?

We all know about polls, don't we?

true enough

I worked for Ipso Mori and as a field worker had to find x amount of Prods and X amount of Catholics for every survey so we didn't get a biased result ( great fun finding Prods in a Catholic area and Vice Versa lol )

Do a google, theres plenty of survey results and the general consensus is there will be a united Ireland sooner rather then later with most respondents ( in the North ) wishing it to be later
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 11:02 PM

I'll have to remember that next time someone here quotes a poll as relevant!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
That is all your opinion! The wrongs Ireland do to England continues to come up on this forum. You are talking in an echo chamber. Ireland is only looking after its own interests, the same as the UK is looking after theirs, and you don't like it. The rhetoric being used against my country is typical of what has been used against us for centuries.
didn't England do many wrongs against Ireland a few years back - I can recall the 'potato famine' and we were discussing the shooting of innocent families by the british army a few threads back - I have good friends in Ireland and relatives on one side of the family and these are people - individuals who would never let you down. ah yes the Irish troubles - ya could say there is no love lost between the Irish and English! -but if they love you they do for life.

Mind you all my connections are with the south not the north!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
That is all your opinion! The wrongs Ireland do to England continues to come up on this forum. You are talking in an echo chamber. Ireland is only looking after its own interests, the same as the UK is looking after theirs, and you don't like it. The rhetoric being used against my country is typical of what has been used against us for centuries.
Total Bollox.

Ireland;s interests are best served in unison with the UK, not the EU.

Your historical reference is totally redundant.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Total Bollox.

Ireland;s interests are best served in unison with the UK, not the EU.

Your historical reference is totally redundant.
history is never redundant - "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

the Irish; Welsh and Scots have all been treated badly by the English I am surprised they talk to England at all?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
history is never redundant - "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

the Irish; Welsh and Scots have all been treated badly by the English I am surprised they talk to England at all?

Blimey gumbud, how far back in history do you want to go for the English to apologise for.

WALES.
Of course there were historical times between England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland, But how long are we expected to keep apologising for wrongdoings of the past? 6th or 7th century? The Celts and Saxon wars?. I think the Welsh and English get along just fine thank you, and have done so since the 16th century., The Welsh identity is still strong but why do you think it is that although there are very few English speak the Welsh language, virtually all Welsh speakers can speak English. That is because we have evolved over time to live in peace, harmony and tolerance of both its people and cultures. We English and Welsh have shared military, political, economic and culture for many years. Yes, no doubt there are still some Welsh who believe in Anglophobia for one reason or another, as no doubt do some elements in England with Cymrophobia, But they are very few and far between. We get along just fine.

SCOTLAND
Again, you state you wonder why they are even speaking to us.

Well, the answer to your question was the Scottish Independence Referendum held on 18 September 2014 (my birthday actually) and it speaks for itself.
Again, you are asking us to never be forgiven for something that happened in 1600 - 1700 century when the then Britannia pushed the Roman legions back to Hadrian’s Wall.
Do we keep forever apologising?

IRELAND
Obviously there has been more conflict in this beautiful land between Irish Nationalists and Unionists. The problems started in 1916 with the Easter Rising organised by members of the Irish Volunteers who turned public opinion (both there and here in England) against the Black & Tans (WW1 veteran reservists) who were basically thugs in uniform.
England can rightly hang their head in shame over this terrible time.
Then of course, there were the troubles during the late 1960’s when the British authorities sent in the Army to try to restore order between the Unionists and the Nationalists.
We had 28 years of this, only ending with the “Good Friday Agreement” in 1998.
A History best left in the past, (on all three sides!!)

Gumbud, to be fair, England, like any country, has had its fair share of historical “nasty” episodes, but I don’t see any other countries expected to keep apologising for past wrong-doings, the way England is always being asked of, or accused of - the way pipsqueak Obama was only too keen to publicise about, the moment he came to power.

Time all this nonsense stopped!
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Blimey gumbud, how far back in history do you want to go for the English to apologise for.

WALES.
Of course there were historical times between England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland, But how long are we expected to keep apologising for wrongdoings of the past? 6th or 7th century? The Celts and Saxon wars?. I think the Welsh and English get along just fine thank you, and have done so since the 16th century., The Welsh identity is still strong but why do you think it is that although there are very few English speak the Welsh language, virtually all Welsh speakers can speak English. That is because we have evolved over time to live in peace, harmony and tolerance of both its people and cultures. We English and Welsh have shared military, political, economic and culture for many years. Yes, no doubt there are still some Welsh who believe in Anglophobia for one reason or another, as no doubt do some elements in England with Cymrophobia, But they are very few and far between. We get along just fine.

SCOTLAND
Again, you state you wonder why they are even speaking to us.

Well, the answer to your question was the Scottish Independence Referendum held on 18 September 2014 (my birthday actually) and it speaks for itself.
Again, you are asking us to never be forgiven for something that happened in 1600 - 1700 century when the then Britannia pushed the Roman legions back to Hadrian’s Wall.
Do we keep forever apologising?

IRELAND
Obviously there has been more conflict in this beautiful land between Irish Nationalists and Unionists. The problems started in 1916 with the Easter Rising organised by members of the Irish Volunteers who turned public opinion (both there and here in England) against the Black & Tans (WW1 veteran reservists) who were basically thugs in uniform.
England can rightly hang their head in shame over this terrible time.
Then of course, there were the troubles during the late 1960’s when the British authorities sent in the Army to try to restore order between the Unionists and the Nationalists.
We had 28 years of this, only ending with the “Good Friday Agreement” in 1998.
A History best left in the past, (on all three sides!!)

Gumbud, to be fair, England, like any country, has had its fair share of historical “nasty” episodes, but I don’t see any other countries expected to keep apologising for past wrong-doings, the way England is always being asked of, or accused of - the way pipsqueak Obama was only too keen to publicise about, the moment he came to power.

Time all this nonsense stopped!
Without seeming to be facetious I think you will find that the beginning of the Roman withdrawal in Britain was around 400 AD. A considerable number of years before the dates you quote for Scotland, it also had a lot more to do with the Romans fighting the Visigoths in Italy and depleting the forces in Britain than being beaten in battle. Just saying (facts are important as Brexiters don't seem to understand)
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 10:30 AM

Itsme, your unnecessary attempt at scoring brownie points with your last sentence aside, I am the first to hold my hands up if I make a mistake.
I don't profess to know a great deal regarding the history of the Romans and Scotland, but it is a known fact that Roman coins have been found in the Scottish lowlands dated as far back as 100 AD. so my understanding is that no-one really knows when the Roman Legion warring tribes first invaded Scotland. (I'm sure someone with knowledge on Scottish History may be able to put me in the picture).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
didn't England do many wrongs against Ireland a few years back - I can recall the 'potato famine' and we were discussing the shooting of innocent families by the british army a few threads back - I have good friends in Ireland and relatives on one side of the family and these are people - individuals who would never let you down. ah yes the Irish troubles - ya could say there is no love lost between the Irish and English! -but if they love you they do for life.

Mind you all my connections are with the south not the north!
You must be old if you can remember the potato famine
1845-1851
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Hi

Ancient history is just that, Ancient.

More recent history is relevant.

The IRA planted a bomb and deliberately targeted children, including my two.

My initial reaction as a Dad is very simple, kill them.

I am logical, they have stopped planting bombs, so me kicking off would be no help at all.

The violence has stopped, that is a winner.

If they start up again, then this time round we do not mess about, down they go.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top