Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:44 PM

Re: Sealed instead of vented heating system

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Thanks I'm trying to remember what they were like when they were working. I think some would be cooler in the middle so maybe there's a bit lot of sludge there.

They said the powerflush will sort it and that the sealed system will get rid of the oxygen that causes the rust so fingers crossed. I'm so fed up with heating engineers scratching their head and tutting when they can't get it to work!
Sounds like they don't know what they're doing tbh.
If your boiler is only 5 years old (and still working) - maybe just go for the flush and get inhibitor added. Inhibitor prevents (to a point) the internal corrosion and sludge build up.
Don't get ripped off on the cost of the flush though...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:47 PM

It's a vailant (not combi) only 5 years since installation. Some of the radiators are decades old, I'm not really sure how many!
Hmm. This is new enough an installation for the system to have been power flushed through as per MI. Something is deffo not right as I'd have expected it to have lasted a fair few years and well over 5 before "sludge" became an issue
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->

However, you've not explained properly. Is it that the boiler itself is not working, or the heating is not working due to sludge in the rads??
Sorry I didn't explain, it's the boiler switching itself off with a fault and apparently the fault is that the water pressure isn't high enough. The water was heating up fine all summer and when they tried to turn the heating on it all started switching itself off. The filter was full of sludgy rust even though the heating had been off for months and the filter had been cleaned just before switching off. I've been told the filter should not be an issue after it's all sealed.

The heating engineer said that there's too much sludge in the system which is what's causing the water pressure drop and it's possible some has found it's way into the boiler.

Earlier in the year they replaced a pump because it had gotten in there. They aren't cheap but the guy who runs it initially suggested changing the radiators. Which from what I now know would only be a temporary fix. The guy who came the other day said you shouldn't need to do that no matter how old they are if you change it to a sealed system and do a powerflush.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
We used to have the problems Annie, so changed to a combi. Still have problems with silt and yet another power flush soon.
We would need to know more about your system. I'm no expert, but I have had so many problems, I am nearly qualified.
I feel the same way Sweetie! I now know all about gravity systems vs sealed and all about the way rust builds up etc. It's many hours of my life of having this explained that I will never get back!

By the way my sympathies on your own painful experiences. It's like a never ending saga.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:52 PM

Ok,

Forget the sealed system for a mo, unless you have money to burn...

Open vent systems have a natural amount of water loss due to venting. The system is gradually topped up through the small tank in the loft. As the tank level drops, it's topped up by new oxygenated water, which causes the internal corrosion. If an inhibitor is added, it slows this process considerably.
I'd go with a flush, inhibitor and a magnaclean from what you've said.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-09-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Hmm. This is new enough an installation for the system to have been power flushed through as per MI. Something is deffo not right as I'd have expected it to have lasted a fair few years and well over 5 before "sludge" became an issue
It wouldn't surprise me if they had added a rust accelerator. The way the owner's eyes start flashing pound signs when he talks!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

18-09-2018, 08:54 PM

Agreed......
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 08:57 PM

They said the powerflush will sort it
probably correct
and that the sealed system will get rid of the oxygen that causes the rust so fingers crossed.
Bull. It's the chemicals that prevent rust build-up, and a magnaclean installed in the right place will protect the boiler in any case
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

18-09-2018, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Ok,

Forget the sealed system for a mo, unless you have money to burn...

Open vent systems have a natural amount of water loss due to venting. The system is gradually topped up through the small tank in the loft. As the tank level drops, it's topped up by new oxygenated water, which causes the internal corrosion. If an inhibitor is added, it slows this process considerably.
I'd go with a flush, inhibitor and a magnaclean from what you've said.
Agreed. Oh happy DIYnot days
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

18-09-2018, 09:01 PM

Agreed. Oh happy DIYnot days
Christ, you came over from there as well?........

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top