Join for free
Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Re: Are you proud to be British?

I'm very proud of our little islands acheivements over the years, considering our size we've done amazing things. Some things looking back were terrible mistakes but at the time must have seemed right to our forebears. I don't particularly like judging people by our rules today when the rules were so different in their times.
I think everyone should be able to say that about wherever they live. It's just luck where we are born of course but that shouldn't stop us being able to see the amazing place we have been made part of.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Aye, you North Yorkies with your highfalutin ways.
Hey, we Yorkies need to be unified regardless of which Riding we hail from.

We have enough enemies as it is.

Well, perhaps not 'enemies'. 'Enviers' might be a better word.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hey, we Yorkies need to be unified regardless of which Riding we hail from.

We have enough enemies as it is.

Well, perhaps not 'enemies'. 'Enviers' might be a better word.
In your dreams. If it is so wonderful, why did you leave?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
In your dreams. If it is so wonderful, why did you leave?
He is a missionary.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
He is a missionary.

Someone has to do it.

The Lankies need all the help they can get.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I am English, hate being called British
I too am English, Anglo Saxon actually.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I'm proud to be English/British and this meme was posted on a 'vote leave' site. I actually agree with it.
The same people who settled here and their families will now complain and try to overthrow party leaders or governments. Who the heck do they think they are ?
Obviously they never had relatives who died in the WWI , enabling Britain to be a place of refuge for them in WWII.

This is the truth.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-10-2018, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm very proud of our little islands acheivements over the years, considering our size we've done amazing things. Some things looking back were terrible mistakes but at the time must have seemed right to our forebears. I don't particularly like judging people by our rules today when the rules were so different in their times.
I think everyone should be able to say that about wherever they live. It's just luck where we are born of course but that shouldn't stop us being able to see the amazing place we have been made part of.
I agree.

I believe we have contributed at least as many good things to the world as any other country, if you look back over history, which is quite an achievement for such a small 'insignificant' little island.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

22-10-2018, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
We have as much right to be proud of our country as does any other nationality. Indeed more so than many. However changes in our lifetime have dramatically altered the cultural and social make up of the land we once knew.

I refer to the astonishing level of immigration that has occurred in our lifetime, particularly large immigration of people whose values and beliefs differ so much from the natives. I believe this has had a significant effect on the national character.

Before the shouts of "racist" begin, just let me say I have no problem with allowing well vetted people from other countries, residence in our country, in sensible numbers. However I believe the massive numbers involved of people from alien cultures in such a short time has significantly changed the national character.

Attend many international sporting events in this country, you would be forgiven for thinking you had travelled abroad such is the overwhelming support for our opponents. I shudder to think of the fifth columnist consequences should we ever enter
military conflict with these countries. We already have to suffer the home grown terrorist threats.

This situation has seriously diluted the feeling of a British nationality as a whole in the country, particularly in areas of large immigration.

Politicians have let us down, and continue to do so.
Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, there's no denying that.

Unfortunately, many people who live in nice rural areas that are unaffected seem to be blissfully unaware of the problem and are very ready to criticise us for being racist.
Originally Posted by toners ->
Ok - next photo- anything related or sparked off from this photo

We may not be affected as some places are, but I can still understand what you mean & agree with your post too.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

22-10-2018, 04:51 PM

No idea how Toners post got in there.

Page 19 of 20 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top