Join for free
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:04 PM

Re: Are you proud to be British?

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Are youngsters even bothered about the idea of patriotism?
I never gave it a thought when young. Like I never dwelt on politics.
For me, at least, it was something that grew on me ..like old age even though my parents own sentiments probably rubbed off on me ... as in, we won the war ... we have traditions and the history of an Empire.

Based on that I'm assuming as the generations live and die they'll find increasingly less or predominantly our own culture that will qualify for the label 'Britishness' .
Looking back, will mean multiculturalism to them, especially for those not even born here.
The notion of true British, if there is such a term, probably began to slowly die after the 1950's.
The empire was nothing to be proud about considering how it was achieved.

There is a saying, "Patriotism is the last bastion of a scroundrel."
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I used to be, not so much now.

We are a laughing stock, primarily down to our Politicians.
True ... but we don't have the monopoly on that
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The empire was nothing to be proud about considering how it was achieved.

There is a saying, "Patriotism is the last bastion of a scroundrel."
That doesn't figure really when you think about it.
The Empire has come in for much criticism in more modern times ... but as with most things there are always two sides.

Doing Mr M's family history I came across what can only be described as a politician? bureaucrat? Governor type in India.
His lifestyle was luxurious. He lived in a palatial mansion with servants. I couldn't believe it was his residence when I saw the photo. Offfset that though with his involvement in sorting out telegraph, railways, roads .... building the infrastructure of a country. There were benefits which tend to be forgotten.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:27 PM

The word Proud or Pride may come hard to use for some, so maybe being Glad is better.

Without starting historical mud slinging I am glad that we are not like other countries with their many conflicts or dictatorial rulers.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
The word Proud or Pride may come hard to use for some, so maybe being Glad is better.

Without starting historical mud slinging I am glad that we are not like other countries with their many conflicts or dictatorial rulers.
Britain was just as bad as any other invader when gaining its empire. I am so glad it has lost most of it now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 12:34 PM

You should visit UJ you have so much in common .
However your small island attitude is not surprising considering where you grew up .
The only part of the UK to Co operate with the Germans during their occupancy and cart their Jews off to concentration camps .
Lovely place .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

23-09-2018, 12:49 PM

I can't help thinking we're straying from the subject if we're dragging in 'occupied territories' during WW2.

Different world then .. one might as well condemn all the French and also all the German people for not overthrowing a tyrant.
Ingrained attitudes don't prove much, except ... the ingrained attitude spouted from a modern comfy armchair.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

23-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Britain was just as bad as any other invader when gaining its empire. I am so glad it has lost most of it now.
Well you would say that ... you're not British ( except by dint of a bit of paper).
Do you feel the same about Americans? The fate of the indigenous American Indians?
The Aussies, the fate of the native Aborigines? The New Zealanders with the Maoris?

The Channel Islands have the distinction of not really been one thing or another.
Renowned for wealthy residents rather than any contribution (acclaimed or criticised) to the development of the rest of the world whether militarily or in science or any area of significant achievement.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I used to be, not so much now.

We are a laughing stock, primarily down to our Politicians.
I think that is my view these days. I am proud of all the good work our soldiers have done during the wars and I am proud of how the older generation coped with survival and having the strength to rebuild Britain. Watching those efforts go down the pan however is nothing to be proud of. As you say we are the laughing stock of the world and before anyone mentions the 'B' word, our demise started a long time ago, probably around the time of the Millenium.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by muddy ->
you should visit uj you have so much in common .
However your small island attitude is not surprising considering where you grew up .
The only part of the uk to co operate with the germans during their occupancy and cart their jews off to concentration camps .
Lovely place .

Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top