Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 09:54 PM

Re: Long Ago Advice.

Isn't Boris mainly French?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Isn't Boris mainly French?
I don't know. A bit Turkish perhaps.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:29 PM

The Turkish headlines distract from his European ancestry.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 12:34 AM

Apparently most have forgotten. My kids learned the following lesson during history course.

In 1951, six European countries joined forces and joined forces within the European Coal and Steel Community: Belgium, the Netherlands, France, Germany, Luxembourg and Italy. The United Kingdom decided not to participate. They had an economic view of European cooperation. That is why they wanted to keep their good trade relations within the British Commonwealth, a group of 53 ex-colonies. In addition, cooperation within the ECSC went too far for the British. After all, the countries were decisive for a European institution, which could take decisions instead of the member states. This principle of 'supranationality' was a stumbling block for the British: they wanted to be able to decide for themselves on these matters. Finally, they doubted whether cooperation would stand. "Are with Europe, but not part of Europe," British Prime Minister Churchill said. He was in favor of a Eur op op cooperation, but deciding on everything together went too far. The UK used to play an important role in world politics, but the ECSC should work together on a more equal basis.
In 1961, the United Kingdom asked, to everyone's surprise, membership of European cooperation. They wanted to strengthen their position in the world and strengthen economic growth. After all, the British world empire crumbled, and the British wanted to keep abreast of the further European plans. But that was counted outside Charles de Gaulle, the then French president. He saw the British as lapdogs of the Americans. Because he was against too strong US interference in Europe, De Gaulle blocked British membership. Moreover, he did not trust the change of course of the British and he did not believe that the UK would cooperate closely. "If England has sufficiently transformed to be part of the EC, without restriction, without reservation, the Six will open their doors. "The UK could only become a member of de Gaulle if they participated in all aspects of the cooperation, without exception.
At the end of the 60s, the Gaulle disappeared from the French political scene. This opened the way to accession again for the UK, which then made a new attempt to become a member.
However, the accession negotiations did not go smoothly. In particular the favorable trade relations with Commonwealth countries and the contribution of the British to the EC were food for discussion. The UK wanted the cost of entry as low as possible. In the end, a compromise was reached, which was difficult for the British and remained difficult to digest.
However, this did not mean that their view on European cooperation had changed: they still regarded the EC as a purely economic partnership. The British therefore acted because of the economic benefits.
In 1973 the UK became a member of the European Communities, after the British House of Commons agreed to 301 votes in favor and 284 against.
The new British government, which came to power in 1974, wanted to renegotiate the terms of membership. That is why in 1975 she organized a referendum on EC membership. Two out of three Britons voted for membership of European cooperation. The discussion was closed for the time being, but the financial contribution from the UK to the EC continued to lie on the stomach of British politicians.

The British Prime Minister Margret Thatcher had had enough of it in 1984 and demanded her money back, because they get little money back through, for example, agricultural subsidies. She got her way: the British got a serious discount on the contribution to the European budget. As a result, the UK pays less than countries with the same economy, such as France or Germany. In 2013, the British rebate amounted to 4.3 billion euros. This is being questioned mainly by the less prosperous countries in Eastern Europe, who have to pay the bill.[
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
You do not speak for all of us you know.
Did I say I did? Did I start the sentence with, "I think I speak for us all when I say........... DOH!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Ooops, apologies Purwell, I thought you were responding to MY post.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Ooops, apologies Purwell, I thought you were responding to MY post.
My phone is very often way behind, I must try to use the quote facility but that isn't easy on the phone.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
You do not speak for all of us you know.
Where do you buy your European diet from? Or do you put up with tasteless frozen tomatoes like the rest of us.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top