Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 06:51 PM

Re: New or Second hand

Of course you do .
Wouldn't want to be one of those people who have to buy their own furniture
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 06:55 PM

I try to buy second hand whenever I can, I hate the thought of living in a throwaway society

Right now we are going through a big renovation and everything that can be salvaged and reused will be and what furnishings I do need to get for the new rooms, I will be watching the local auctions and trawling the charity shops
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 07:29 PM

Hi

Missy has made a good point about the throwaway society, styles may change, but well made stuff lasts.

Some of the upcycled stuff looks very good and it makes a pleasurable hobby.

I get far more pleasure spending the money saved on a day out with the Pretendies or Guy than I would looking at a new piece of furniture.

I am fortunate in that I do not have to make do and mend now, so the stuff I buy is good quality.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 04:28 PM

I would be quite happy to buy secondhand but Mrs LD prefers new. Apart from a few antiques which are old, obviously.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 07:50 PM

Second hand or from Charity furniture shops such as the local Heart Foundation store does me fine. New furniture doesn't do the job any better, and it's my way of recycling.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 08:11 PM

When I bought my first house I had no furniture at all as I had been living in furnished rooms, but there was an auction room close to my new home and I had great fun viewing and bidding for things. Some were able to be used as they were - some needed a little TLC. Went to night school to learn about reupholstering and restoring wood. It was so rewarding.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 08:12 PM

I like to get "top of the line" used furniture if I find it on consignment.......
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
When I bought my first house I had no furniture at all as I had been living in furnished rooms, but there was an auction room close to my new home and I had great fun viewing and bidding for things. Some were able to be used as they were - some needed a little TLC. Went to night school to learn about reupholstering and restoring wood. It was so rewarding.
Oh, that brought back memories Tabby.
I can upholster too, learnt years ago.
I can remember doing similar for our first home.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2018, 10:40 AM

I learned a long time ago that 'things' don't make me happy , new things are nice but a while later I'd want other new things . I don't mind second hand it does the job .
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Really depends on what it is. I have had some great finds in the Auction Houses and some lovely clothes in the Charity Shops.. But footwear of any kind is a no no for me..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top