Join for free
Page 137 of 190 « First < 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Thanks for your support Twink, I take heart from your own brave experiences. One of our very dear friends is undergoing chemo therapy for breast cancer and it is saddening to see a once fit and healthy woman (she accompanied me on a few of my long distance escapades in the past) deteriorate under the strain of her treatment. With not many family members, Mrs Fox and me do our best to help where we can.
Her problems make mine pale into insignificance......

As for me Twink, I can be up one minute and down the next, I always come bouncing back but it's nice to have a good moan every now and then..... Thanks again Twink, it's always good to hear from you.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 10:39 AM

If your friend used to run, I suspect she is strong minded so tell her to believe that she will get better.
Some people really suffer badly with chemo, but others don't. Mine was a particularly aggressive cancer, but it formed in a area that is unusual for that type of tumour, so my chemo was really strong and I felt really ill.
However, after 6 months I was feeling much better and determined to beat it. Seven years later I am still here and just have a couple of minor problems, from the chemo side effects.
Your friend will get there but it takes a bit of time!

As for you, positive thinking is good for all of us, so set yourself lower targets and remember, we will have nothing to read if you stop running and abandon "Bob's Bits"
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:12 AM

The final 'Big Push' began on Saturday, with the kitchen fitters due to arrive on Monday morning there were some jobs that just had to be done before one piece of the new kitchen was brought into the empty shell of the echoey, dusty, freshly plastered, what used to be the centre of the house.....One of those jobs was to remove all the flaky old emulsion that still covered the ceiling. Dressed like an extra from CSI I set about sanding down the ceiling by hand.....

I started work after lunch around three'ish, and was determined to finish the task before calling it a day. There was no way I was going to dress up and make so much mess the next day. So I worked into the night, and by midnight I sanded off the last remnant of decaying paint. Dust settled on every flat surface to a depth of around half an inch, and after removing the worst of it, went out into the garage and removed the dust caked overalls and the rest of my clothes before making a naked dash to the house and a hot shower.

I don't even remember getting into bed, but I woke next day with a very painful piriformis, and extremely sore fingers and thumbs, where gripping the sanding block had ripped the skin from my nails.....Mrs Fox had decided to cook her last Sunday dinner in the old faithful and reliable oven, it would be sad to see it go, but go it must, in order to make way for a new state of the art appliance. It was ceremoniously wheeled out to the garage waiting to take its place on the scrap heap. A place where I'm not far off from being dumped myself.

The final job was to remove the sink, this really did mean that the kitchen was well and truly out of action. As I sank into bed on Sunday night, I realised that my work was done, and barring a few bits and pieces of jobs to be done while the fitters installed the kitchen, all responsibility for its construction lay with Matt and Richard....An empty space where the sink used to be.......

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Foxy I have missed so much!
Is that you???
You are getting there.
I'm still coming to the kitchen warming party.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-05-2018, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Foxy I have missed so much!
Is that you???
You are getting there.
I'm still coming to the kitchen warming party.
Yep, that's me Sweetie....You will be very welcome to the inauguration of the new kitchen, although I don't know when that will be....Richard (Kitchen Fitter) reckons he will have it done in one week, looks like a lot of work to me though...

You will have to open the champagne yourself though because my thumbs are still so painful after all that sanding....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 12:01 PM

Foxy, were you wearing trousers under your protective clothes?
I only ask because when you said you had rushed naked, from the garage, your bottom half already looked naked under those clothes.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Poor Foxy, you must ache all over.
Don't give up on that piriformis yet, I am still getting twinges too, it seems to take forever doesn't it.
Did your physio give you an exercises to do?

Hey, like the see-through trousers. . .

May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 02:01 PM

PMSL....the Ms Marples strike again...'I see You there shakin' that naked ass'
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 03:26 AM

You did it, Bob! It is Tuesday, meaning you are done with the most difficult of the work, and you did it on time. It must be a huge relief.

It seems this project has taken quite a toll on you physically and emotionally, but in the end - look what you have accomplished! Not only is there more quality control (from both you and Mrs. OGF and cost savings that come with DIY, you’ll always have a little satisfaction and well-deserved pried in your work.

Just a little fun suggestion, but when my great-grandfather and father built their homes, they sealed into a space in the wall note of the year, who lived in the house, and the project that was being done. In the late ‘90s, someone actually found the note my great grandfather had left in his house before the turn of the 20th century, and because it is a small town, they were able to pass it along to my dad. When through with the note, my dad (feeling proud and sentimental) wisely asked it to be returned to the wall’s interior.

It’s regrettable that all this work had to be undertaken when your piriformis was so inflamed and your hands are beaten up. Over here, it is customary that when husbands do such taxing labor, that their wives treat them to an evening of backrubs, hot baths with shampooing and massages in empathy and appreciation. There are candles, calming music, cold beer, you name it. This tradition goes very far back.

Ok, ok….so that might be a little exaggeration, but Mrs. Fox doesn’t need to know that

The kitchen looks ready to go, and now comes the easy part. Well done!

Take care and thanks for the peek into your….um….kitchen .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2018, 07:22 AM

A good job depends on good preparation...

Your fitter will certainly appreciate all your hard work in getting the place ready for the units, I love this stage of a renovation when you see everything come together

Great story about you Grandfathers note Surfermom I'm glad it was put back for future generations to find and enjoy .

Page 137 of 190 « First < 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 139 147 187 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top