Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2015, 12:46 AM

Re: The Spratly Islands Paradise?

oh yes plenty of oil and minerals that's for sure but I think holidays will be fine right now - there is not going to be war right now, for a long time or maybe never - they are just slating off at the moment but it's fun international entertainment.

any bets any bets?

as mentioned previously this in a way mimics what is going on in the Antartic

New Zealand and Australia are concerned about activities of other countries, especially Asian powers, in the Antarctic region. It appears that we are now witnessing the beginning of the fight for the riches of the ever-frozen continent. A number of international agreements ban economic activities in the unique region, but someone already tries to work there despite the restrictions.
The Antarctic Treaty, which was signed in 1959, bans the exploration and development of mineral resources in the region. The treaty also stipulates demilitarization of the ice continent. However, the agreement expires in 2048 and, most likely, is not going to be prolonged
this quote was interestingly found on a web copy of Pravda!

http://english.pravda.ru/world/austr...-antarctica-0/

i must go back and read it sometime!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 07:23 AM

and slowly it starts coming to the boil?

Warning shots have been reported coming from Chinese warship onto a small Filipino fishing vessel which apparently strayed to close to a Chinese reclaimed reef. -oh dear!

Manila has expressed 'grave concerns'

in the meantime Mr Aquino has signed a "visiting forces agreement" that will allow Japanese sea vessels and aircraft to refuel and re-stock in the Philippines. the move will also extend Japans range of operations in the SC Sea.

The Japanese PM expressed grave concerns about Chinese expansionism in this area.

Vietnam has announced a luxury cruise opportunity for 'patriotic citizens' to visit the Spratly Islands area.

so there were have round XXXX - rebuffs and retorts and some shots fired -remember it was one small shot that stared WWI
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

18-07-2015, 08:02 PM

just in case you'd forgotten the dispute continues to bubble away. This time the Philippines have re-opened a mothballed USA base in their country facing what they call the
West Philippine Sea! - an obvious move probably supported by the Yanks to warn the Chinese that the rest are not backing down from what they see as a Chinese take over of the area.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-1...?section=world

this is a dispute that ain't goin away and I cannot imagine the Chinese agreeing to any "sharing" solutions - it wants it all!

the Philippine President in a regional speech has likened Chinas actions as being similar to Hitlers before WWII - which has as you can imagine upset the Chinese!

talk about world diplomacy!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2015, 11:03 PM

It's interesting, though I don't see any resolution soon...
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

19-07-2015, 11:45 PM

this must be one of the most interesting skirmishes of the 21st century - the small dogs snapping at the heels and the big players, USA, China and Russia muscling around for room. I do wish there were more documentaries about it - I've seen one or two - one of our intrepid journo got on board an abandoned ship used by Filippinos - he had to chug in late at night - the yanks keep flying over but haven't heard of much russian activities and after the mess in the Ukraine I am not surprised - are well more trawling of the net for me!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2015, 10:04 AM

Hmmm. China is keeping busy, I see, and not just in the Spratleys.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-33605210
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

21-07-2015, 12:40 PM

well this could go on for years - even longer than this site may exist - the words 'china' and 'sea' seem to be causing a bother and the fact that China is bigger than the rest - I am curious about Russias appearances and not sure who they are supporting? - must do a bit more digging?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

21-07-2015, 12:53 PM

must have been reading something wrong - the Russians don't seem to be involved in this and why should they?

However if you ever thought life was complicated say ?? dispute between Israel and Palestine then try reading this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spratly_Islands_dispute

haven't done so myself yet I'm saving it for a wet windy night!!

but this goes back centuries!! whoopie
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

22-09-2015, 10:47 AM

well the international fun continues - ariel photos show that the chinese despite all admonishments continue to build airstrips on their claimed or unclaimed islands - the number has now reached three!

this is definitely going to be a long haul and will have to be settled diplomatically as the trade and relationships with China by USA and OZ is paramount. I wonder whether the small nations will be jettisoned in favor of good relationships - this saga may outlive us all on here!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well the international fun continues - ariel photos show that the chinese despite all admonishments continue to build airstrips on their claimed or unclaimed islands - the number has now reached three!

this is definitely going to be a long haul and will have to be settled diplomatically as the trade and relationships with China by USA and OZ is paramount. I wonder whether the small nations will be jettisoned in favor of good relationships - this saga may outlive us all on here!!

Could the Chinese be persuaded to give up these islands on the proviso the Americans give up their air-force base on Diego Garcia???

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top