Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Re: EU should interfere less

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Forgive me for seeming a bit dumb, but are all these things down to the EU?
I knew about the 'Bent Cucumbers and Bananas' and the limit on wattage for our vacuum cleaners, but I didn't realise the poor flushing toilet and the change away from oil based paint was down to the EU. I do love the new LED lightbulbs though, cool running, less power and instant light but a bit on the expensive side. Like Meg says though, the older type of energy saving bulbs were a joke. When I was a postman I had to work late every night for a couple of weeks trying to deliver all the free energy saving bulbs that the government were giving away, I had no room in the van for the bulbs and the post so I had to return after delivering the post when most people were home from work - you weren't allowed to leave them on the step.
There is also the situation with electrical wiring, it has all been changed from Red and Black to Brown and Blue. Having Brown for live just doesn't seem as important as the Red was....
I agree. I'm slowly replacing older lamps with LEDs. Although they're more expensive to buy, they are supposed to last much longer and, in my experience, give off a better light.

As for electrical wiring, they changed to the new colours quite a long time ago in order to 'harmonise' with the Europeans. I, too, saw nothing wrong with red, black and green.

Another thing which definitely rings of unnecessary bureaucracy is 'changing' the mains voltage. I used inverted commas because we haven't actually changed anything other than nominally. We still have a mains voltage of roughly 240V; the Europeans use round about 220V. Consequently, it is now referred to as nominally 230V (+10%, - 6%). The exact voltage varies anyway, so it's all just numbers.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
What 'free bulbs' Bob no one ever gave me any free bulbs
We didn't either, but my aged mother-in-law did and didn't like them, so passed them all on to use. We now have a couple of dozen waiting to be used, although we shall be converting to LEDs as time goes on.

If you want some free fluorescent bulbs, please feel free to call in and they're all yours!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
And lightbulbs that don't cost a fortune and actually give which some light instantly not a flicker after 10 minutes..
...and oil based white paint with a 'harmful additive ' which helps it to keep its colour and not turn yellow ..
Hi

The paint you will not get back and with good reason.

The paint manufacturers started using some cheap man made VOCs, which, in addition to causing cancer in certain animals, messed up the new generation of bomb sniffers.

If you want a white paint which stays white and goes on like an oil based paint, less brushmarks, buy Johnstones Paint and add Floetrol.

Leyland Paint is also good, and cheap.

Don't forget, the DIY Paint Manufacturers quite like white paint going yellow, it means you spend more repainting it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The paint you will not get back and with good reason.

The paint manufacturers started using some cheap man made VOCs, which, in addition to causing cancer in certain animals, messed up the new generation of bomb sniffers.

If you want a white paint which stays white and goes on like an oil based paint, less brushmarks, buy Johnstones Paint and add Floetrol.

Leyland Paint is also good, and cheap.

Don't forget, the DIY Paint Manufacturers quite like white paint going yellow, it means you spend more repainting it.
Hi Gibbs oil based paint used not to discolour (it happens mainly on areas without a lot of daylight like behind doors and furniture)
I now use a water based paint which stays white but is more expensive to buy and harder to apply than the 'old' oil bases paint .
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 05:45 PM

Swimfeeders must be right. We have bent cucumbers, we have toilets that flush with no problem, we have all kinds of odd shaped fruit and veg on the markets. Apparently it is only Britain that follows the rules to the very last letter.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-04-2016, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Swimfeeders must be right. We have bent cucumbers, we have toilets that flush with no problem, we have all kinds of odd shaped fruit and veg on the markets. Apparently it is only Britain that follows the rules to the very last letter.
True.

So I can foresee people making short trips to Calais to buy bent cucumbers, toilets that will flush big poos, all kinds of odd shaped fruit and veg, and, of course, paint that doesn't yellow...

...even after we have left the EU!

What we really need is a competent British government.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
True.

So I can foresee people making short trips to Calais to buy bent cucumbers, toilets that will flush big poos, all kinds of odd shaped fruit and veg, and, of course, paint that doesn't yellow...

Keep on dreaming..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
True.

Hi

I also think that it is fair to say that we also need a change of attitude in our Civil Servants.

I have seen far too much of slavishly following the rules rather than actually doing the job and making decisions.

The rules are there for guidance, not total obedience.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top