Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2016, 10:45 PM

Re: An elected head of state???

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Like Joe, I think the monarchy is an outdated and slightly silly tradition. Having said that, unlike Joe, I don't believe that anyone really thinks that the Queen "rules" the country (or has any influence at all for that matter). Compared with the billions lost to the exchequer by tax evasion and avoidance by the rich, the royal family is a pretty cheap source of foreign income (via tourism). The monarchy are worth keeping just for the sake of tradition in my view. We have lost so much of our culture already, why throw away what has become a harmless and quite charming traditional institution. If the monarchy still had and exercised great power, I'd probably agree with Joe, but the reality is they don't and never will again.
Well said.

I sometimes wonder whether, if we vote to remain in the EU, the monarchy will eventually be abolished. After all, there is the distinct possibility that in time we shall have to relinquish what remains of our sovereignty.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top