Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 06:55 PM

Re: France says 'NON'

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Thatcher was the only one who had the guts to send help in the Falklands war.
Labour would have rolled on their backs and let the Agentines take it.

Love or Hate Mrs Thatcher she did what she said she would. No other politician of any party has the same backbone since

Try running your own business with workers going on strike when the feel like it, you would soon change your minds

Without business men and companies, workers would have no work to go to, then what kind of mess would we be in
I completely agree.

The problem with this country, as I have said elsewhere, is that we pull in opposite directions. Management pull one way, the unions pull the other way and the government pull in whichever way benefits themselves.

I wouldn't say I 'love' the French, in fact I consider them perfidious. They're nice and friendly when they want our help (as in two world wars), but then they stab you in the back (de Gaulle: "Non").

However, yes, I admire them for sticking up for themselves. We, for some reason, seem unable to do that.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 07:10 PM

As stated,

Most of our problem has been consistent weak leadership and politicians, who are both spineless and too interested in being PC. Cameron possibly the worst in some time.

I agree about Maggie - the only leader with some danglies for quite some time.
I also feel, as JBR, that the "do gooders" may lead to our ultimate demise. In the future, they will have a lot to answer for!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Vive la France et l'indépendance française - en matière de TTIP, le bon sens d'affichage français .....
Yes....What he said!

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
---------------------------------------------------------------
It was the unions that brought down our car industry -our mining industry- our ship building industry 0ur coal industry, through continuous strikes/ walkouts and pay demands. No company can carry on like that.

Maybe that has been forgotten
Also Realspeed,
You forgot to say that with all those successful strikes for more pay, we priced ourselves out of the global markets: Everybody else can produce it cheaper than us. When I first started working for an engineering company a pie chart would demonstrate that the biggest portion of the cost of the product was for materials. By the time I was made redundant some 25 years later it was the labour that made up the lions share of product cost.
There's no wonder that customer service falls well below standard in many shops/businesses, they can't afford the staff. Raising the minimum wage hasn't helped either.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
As stated,

Most of our problem has been consistent weak leadership and politicians, who are both spineless and too interested in being PC. Cameron possibly the worst in some time.

I agree about Maggie - the only leader with some danglies for quite some time.
I also feel, as JBR, that the "do gooders" may lead to our ultimate demise. In the future, they will have a lot to answer for!
Yes, well said Fender and JBR.
Maggie wouldn't stand for all the s*#t we take from the EU and her attempt for us to 'Buy British' was the way to go.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yes, well said Fender and JBR.
Maggie wouldn't stand for all the s*#t we take from the EU and her attempt for us to 'Buy British' was the way to go.
So why did she destroy British Manufacturing Industry?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-05-2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
So why did she destroy British Manufacturing Industry?
The greed of the working man with help from the unions (especially Scargill) did it to the coal industry purwell. Are you aware that the labour government prior to Maggie closed more pits than she did....
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 11:45 PM

Not out of spite they didn't.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2016, 11:56 PM

Let's be realistic here. What put paid to our manufacturing industry was the Far East's ability to produce goods far cheaper than we can. You can debate until the cows come home whether that was down to the business owners looking for bigger profits or the unions looking for more pay for less work, but the point is that we cannot compete.

Our only option now is to concentrate on what we still do best, which is...

...er...

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2016, 12:03 AM

My late father always used to say if someone was not good at anything they went into politics or the church
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 09:28 AM

'The greed of the working man'?

So why isn't it the working man that's richer than they've ever been since before slavery was abolished? Have you ever heard of equality? Of course not. It's an alien concept to the Tory mind.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top