Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 10:10 AM

Re: France says 'NON'

Originally Posted by moreover ->
'The greed of the working man'?

So why isn't it the working man that's richer than they've ever been since before slavery was abolished? Have you ever heard of equality? Of course not. It's an alien concept to the Tory mind.
Agreed. What a ridiculous idea that anyone should be paid a decent wage!
Tell me who are the greedy ones here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10097038.html
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 10:27 AM

I'll be honest and say that I didn't like Thatcher when she was in power. I was in my twenties and thought I knew better, but God I wish she was around now rather than the band of limp wristed Euro pleasers that we have had for so long. Thatcher was by no means perfect but I believe she would have stuck up for this Country.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Agreed. What a ridiculous idea that anyone should be paid a decent wage!
Tell me who are the greedy ones here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-10097038.html
All this talk of 'feed the poor' sounds a little bit communist to me. Please allow me to explain.

Not only this country, but every country in the world (even the communist ones) contain people some of whom are poor and some of whom are rich. Why?

To become rich you either need to have skills and enterprise or have it handed to you by your antecedents. The latter option is often frowned upon, yet presumably those antecedents (or perhaps their antecedents) must have acquired their wealth somehow.

There are a number of ways this could have happened. It could be that they had skills and enterprise, or perhaps they acquired their wealth by fighting for it. Then again, they could have benefited from gifts from more senior people such as the King, but this must have been for a reason such as, for example, for supporting him in some way such as fighting for him.

Let me give you my opinion. I am not averse to people becoming rich through their family connections assuming, of course, that those people became rich through their own skills or enterprise. I am certainly not averse to people becoming rich through their own enterprise and skills. I should qualify that, though, that I do not agree with gaining riches through illegal practices.

There will always be rich and poor wherever you go, then, primarily because some people have skills and are willing to make the necessary efforts.

Getting back to 'feed the poor' then, we must ask ourselves why are they poor? If it is because they can't be bothered to make an effort, I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

If it is because they are not from a rich family, I believe it is still possible to improve your lot by acquiring skills and employing enterprise.

Although he is no favourite of mine, a good example is Alan Sugar, or S'ralan, or Lord Sugar (presumably he paid the Labour party for this one!). By all accounts, he began his life with nothing but saw an opportunity (a skill) and made an effort to buy things cheaply and sell them for a profit (enterprise). Look how rich he is now.

Perhaps that's the real reason why there are rich and poor people.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 05:18 PM

And Baron Green of AssetstrippingTory ville, our Minister for Trade and Investment? How does one man enriching himself at the expense of 11,000 more benefit scroungers and several thousand more pensioners fit in with Tory enterprise?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 05:35 PM

To give my own example

My wife and I before we married didn't have a penny saved between us, she actually owed on her car on finance. It took 42 years 99 per cent of which was hard graft/ long hours and saving hard to have what we have now.

A nice 4 bed house

And able to live fairly comfortable in retirement.

So should we be denied all this after a lifetime of hard work and long hours? it is only those who are to darn lazy and jealous would say so
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 05:36 PM

Not as many as you think. http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-tax-avoidance
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
To give my own example

My wife and I before we married didn't have a penny saved between us, she actually owed on her car on finance. It took 42 years 99 per cent of which was hard graft/ long hours and saving hard to have what we have now.

A nice 4 bed house

So should we be denied all this after a lifetime of hard work and long hours? it is only those who are to darn lazy and jealous would say so
Exactly. You have worked hard for it and you deserve it.

There are many who can't be bothered and complain about people like you (and me). For some reason they think that because you and I have it, they should have it as well despite never having done anything to deserve it.

A communist attitude Corbyn would be proud of.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=realspeed;900747]To give my own example

A nice 4 bed house

So should we be denied all this after a lifetime of hard work and long hours? it is only those who are to darn lazy and jealous would say so[/

QUOTE]

I think you're wasting your time R/S. They don't understand so they don't see or hear. They ignore posts like yours and just keep the rant going.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2016, 06:05 PM

Updated photo to include new electric garage doors
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

06-05-2016, 06:11 PM

You both are so right,i was ordered by my Dr to ease up as I had lost so much weight when we got married, something I was loathed to do. 3 jobs on the go myself and my wife had 2 jobs nearly killed us and holidays? what were they back then? never had any. Determination drove us on to achieve a standard we wanted to raise our children in, AND WE DID IT

Getting our first house impossible without a cousins intervention selling us one he was restoring, at market price. Gauzumping was rife in 1972 with houses being sold quicker than one could go and view.

We Paid £7450 in 1972 and in 1996 sold for £70,000, just looked it up out of interest

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top