Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 02:16 PM

Theo Paphitis On BRExit

Some rousing thoughts from Dragon's Den's Theo Paphitis

https://www.retail-week.com/topics/p...008573.article

"In my opinion, the EU is no longer a trading bloc but a failed experiment with unrealistic expansionist ambitions which does not sit well with the British public who value their deeply ingrained democracy, unlike many of the newly democratised members with the majority of their citizens experiencing democracy for the first time.

It is difficult to imagine how anybody can really believe that you can have monetary union without political union, which is why I suspect strongly that unless the EU moves to a Federalist union (which is blatantly not acceptable to the citizens of the United Kingdom) or it majorly reforms, it will collapse with unknown consequences"

"The United Kingdom is the fifth largest economy in the world and as the EU’s biggest internal customer, we buy a lot more from them than they do from us.

We have a defence force revered the world over and a rich heritage of democracy and world trade."

Britain's Place In The World Order

"So let’s not underestimate our role in the world order. We are not Greece or Cyprus, who can be slapped around and punished by unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats.

I have been appalled to read some of the sentiment coming out of so-called EU leaders. Jean-Claude Juncker, President of the European Commission, said that the British people would be classified as “deserters” if they exercised their democratic right to vote leave, stirring emotions in many minds from the tragic period of the First World War and Angela Merkel further saying that if we vote leave we will not be treated with kid gloves.

This is the sort of language that has exactly the opposite effect on me and a vast swathe of the British public that will not be blackmailed or bullied, which is precisely the attitude which makes the United Kingdom great and attracted my parents to up sticks from their home in Cyprus and emigrate here with my brother and myself in the 1960s in search of a better life. "
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 02:35 PM

Re: Theo Paphitis On BRExit

That was very interesting Realist. Britains vote to leave the Eu seems to have started a desire for other countries to consider getting out and if the top countries are concerned about our leaving it will leave the EU on very shaky ground.
I always wonder, if we are just another member that they can manage well without, why don't they just let us get on with it within the allotted time, instead of making a big issue of it?
It will be interesting to see if the Eu's days really are numbered, after our departure.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 02:52 PM

I heard Theo Paphitis on one of the pre-referendum debates,
it's good to have a voice from the world of business who can see the evils of the EU and appreciate the worth of GB. .
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Some more of Theo's views can be found on his Blog here:

http://www.theopaphitis.com/theos-bl...s-just-brexit/

"I have to say, I’m getting pretty well narked at hearing people talking about Hard Brexit and Soft Brexit – there is only one Brexit and that is, we leave the European Union and its laws and regulations and once again regaining our sovereignty, by virtue of this we automatically lose the benefit of tariff-free trading with the EU. We do not lose access to the European market, it’s just that we will have to live with tariffs on our decreasing goods exported to the EU, which by the way if you adopt WTO tariffs with the devaluation of the pound, will not make much of a difference."

"The flipside to this of course is that if we then impose similar tariffs on goods coming to the UK from the EU, that really will make their exports expensive and thus has every chance of closing our deficit with the EU, unless of course once the sabre rattling stops, the Germans, French and Italians see sense and apply much more sensible tariffs to goods from the UK to the EU"
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 05:38 PM

That was a good read ... makes a change from the doom mongers and politicians faffing about.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
That was a good read ... makes a change from the doom mongers and politicians faffing about.
I've forwarded it to my kids
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

13-12-2016, 06:21 PM

Yep I concur. Whilst I appreciate that the Dragon's are TV celebs on top of being rich entrepreneurs, it is wholly encouraging to see some of them backing BRExit and echoing the concerns of many Brits in terms of the way the EU experiment has utterly failed and how it has become a law unto itself headed by power-mad megalomaniacs.

It was no surprise that the majority, if not all, of the core establishment figures supported remain to preserve their lucrative lifestyles and appease their higher masters. Seeing businessmen like Theo speak in similar terms to the rest of us is thoroughly morale boosting gives us a great deal of hope.

If nothing else it means there is someone very knowledgeable who can break through the spin and "fear campaign" rhetoric of the EU stooges.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

13-12-2016, 07:22 PM

Some other key business moguls that support BRExit include:

John Mills, founder of John Mills Limited (JML)
Joe Foster , the founder of Reebok
John Caudwell founder of Phone 4U
John Timpson, the CEO and owner of retailer Timpson
Luke Johnson, the chairman of cafe chain Patisserie Valerie
Nigel Wilson, the CEO of Legal & General
Oliver Hemsley, CEO of Numis Securities
Crispin Odey, boss of leading hedge fund Odey Asset Management, have also backed the leave campaign.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2016, 08:10 PM

I go along with Theo's comments & observations. It's a pity he can't get the message through to the Remoaners
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

13-12-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I go along with Theo's comments & observations. It's a pity he can't get the message through to the Remoaners
They were too busy lapping up the rhetoric from the high establishment stooges . . .

Elton John, David & Victoria Beckham, BBC linchpin Gary Lineker, Olympic athlete Paula Radcliffe, J K Rowling, Sir Patrick Stewart, Simon Cowell and of course wholly institutionalised Sir Bob Geldof goes without saying. Others included Bear Grylls, who had the POTUS Obama on one of his outdoor pursuit episodes.

All fabulously wealthy people supported by the establishment.

Supporters of BRExit included:

John Cleese who said
"If I thought there was any chance of major reform in the EU,I'd vote to stay in. But there isn't.Sad."

Roger Daltrey – Former frontman of The Who who said:
“Whatever happens our country should never fear the consequences of leaving. We went into the Common Market in 1973. Do you know what was going on before we went in? It was the 1960s. The most exciting time ever - Britain was Swinging. Films, Theatre, Fashion, Art and Music. We were the World leaders. You had Harold Pinter, The Beatles, John Osborne, Mary Quant, The Stones, Queen... and The Who"

Sir Michael Caine the acting legend who said:
"you've now got in Europe a sort of government-by-proxy of everybody, who has now got carried away. Unless there is some extremely significant changes, we should get out."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top