Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 12:21 PM

Re: News for the remainiacs

Class jealousy again?

227,000 GBP is not a huge amount in top level circles.
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
N.B. quote " Schulz’s intervention comes at a critical time for the EU, whose rotating presidency passed this week to Malta, its smallest state"

Considering Malta is part of the British Brexit decision, has this been manipulated for maximum effect against an easy withdrawal, as Maltese voted to stay in the EU ?

Just a thought !
Interesting.

Another issue...Gibraltar. Not a nation in its own right but protected from Spain by UK membership of the EU.

Is the UK going to hang it out to dry?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
You don't really read the Express and take notice of it do you?
A good exercise in spin...this is the way it is reported elsewhere.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...populist-right

I see nothing wrong in remarking as outgoing Parliamentary head about what can be improved. That certainly does not mean the speech was an obituary.
I used to live next doer to the northern editor of The Guardian flicks he was and is a very nice man, away with the fairies but a lovely chap.

I also had as my assistant many years ago a guardian junior journalist she had moved to Leeds as her husband was at Leeds uni and she was foisted upon me by the powers that be..she went on to do quite well in life presenting woman's hour.

I never did like the Guardian it is written by people with very little grasp on the real world. My sister reads it so it doesn't surprise me that you do. I don't mean that disrespectfully it's just my observation over the years that Guardian readers are really out of touch with the real world they are mostly academics, teachers and such who have never worked in the real world, created jobs or had to make a profit to survive..just my opinion.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 10:04 AM

Hi

Yes, Cloud Cuckoo Land is a speciality of the Guardian.

Unfortunately, Cloud Cuckoo Land is also the speciality of others, particularly the Express and the Mail.

I am a Technocrat, I voted for Out, I am still convinced that this was the right thing to do.

Until 6 days ago, I was also a PORP, unable to speak my mind.

I now have my Pension, so here goes.

Out is right for the UK, many of my Ex Colleagues agree.

What is not right is a Hard Brexit, that is stupid, it is falling off the edge of a Cliff and will mean vast amounts of more Austerity.

That will mean more Austerity, even Pensions will be affected.

We simply do not have the systems in place to cope with a Hard Brexit, and that is down to Cameron not making any arrangements for a Leave decision, and the stupidity of Blair in handing everything over to the EU.

We are in a position where we cannot control our Borders or collect Tariffs within the next 2 Years.

It simply cannot be done.

We are now in a position where out of a Population of 64 Million, our fate is to be decided by 30 Ultra Right Wing , very rich MPs

They will lose nothing.

My own MP is one of them.

He is funding Brexit, he wants to abolish the National Minimum Wage and privatise the NHS.

He is also wanting to abolish Employers National Insurance Contributions.

Be careful what we wish for.

I want out, I do not want financial suicide.

I have given my views on what we need to do to protect our Borders, it is something very close to me heart, I absolutely detest Terrorists and also convicted criminals being allowed access to the UK.

My concerns are also shared by my Ex Colleagues , they have been ignored.

Other Technocrats, those involved in Customs and the collection of Tariffs, have also had their concerns ignored.

They are genuine people, no wish to Remain, just concerned that we get this right.

The Media have a lot to answer for, the vast majority of Civil Servants are not committed to remaining in the EU, the opposite is the fact.

What the vast Majority of the Civil Service is aware of is the stupidity of the way that we are now going.

No Politician will lose a penny over this, they protect themselves.

The rest of us are heading for a fall and a serious reduction in our living standards to the advantage of the Ultra Rich Elite.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 10:50 AM

Make my day Swims !
Together with the b****y awful weather this jolly tidings is just what we need this dreary Sunday morning
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 11:00 AM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and listening to opinions of various people in power and not I'm certain we can put everything in place we need, we aren't a helpless nation. We do need to make elections count from here on in, they will no longer be able to hide behind the eu, and tell us it's not their fault so every vote counts. We have an opportunity if we vote against austerity we can end it, it's a political ideal not a necessity at the moment. But we can make savings that won't harm the poor, we can bring in a lot of tax revenue from those not paying, we could make brexit pay too if we adopt taxing goods coming in.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Make my day Swims !
Together with the b****y awful weather this jolly tidings is just what we need this dreary Sunday morning
Hi

I have no wish to upset anyone Muddy.

I remain convinced that out is right for us.

I simply do not believe that the way we are going about it is right.

The Ultra Rich 30 odd Extreme Right Wingers who hold the balance of power will not lose a penny, in fact they will gain from it.

The rest of us are facing a meltdown, a 20% reduction in both State and Private pensions.

My local MP is part of this, he sees leaving the EU as the end of the Minimum Wage, the end of Employers NI Contributions and the end of automatic increases to State Pensions.

I remain totally committed to leaving the EU.

I am not totally committed to the Hardline Brexiteers making a mint out of it and stuffing the rest of us.

We deserve better.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I never did like the Guardian it is written by people with very little grasp on the real world. My sister reads it so it doesn't surprise me that you do. I don't mean that disrespectfully it's just my observation over the years that Guardian readers are really out of touch with the real world they are mostly academics, teachers and such who have never worked in the real world, created jobs or had to make a profit to survive..just my opinion.
I agree completely. You hit the nail on the head!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree completely. You hit the nail on the head!
You would think with all that education, they would be able to spell.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2017, 01:11 PM

I would be interested to know what many people mean by a hard Brexit. Does it mean leaving the free trade area and therefore being charged tariffs to sell to Europe? . If so won't we reciprocate? Since we import more from Europe than we export and I appreciate our imports are falling, wouldn't that mean we would have a net gain on the tariffs though, or is that too simple?

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top