Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 11:20 AM

Re: Things we'd like to get back?

Proper light bulbs

High powered vacuum cleaners

Apples without labels
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Flicker ->
and how are British scientists going to speak with other scientists?

How are tourists to the UK supposed to understand road gradients?

You won't need bigger fishing fleets because you won't be able to fish inside EU boundaries.

What difference does the colour of a passport matter???

Jeez.
1) Are you saying that scientists are too stupid to operate in two systems? The Americans seem to manage!

2) They are tourists, they should read up and learn - there are plenty of users, of both systems, around the rest of the world.

3) We'll set our own boundaries, thanks!! Just like the EU did!Get our gun boats back out there and all will be fine!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 12:54 PM

and how are British scientists going to speak with other scientists?

How are tourists to the UK supposed to understand road gradients?

You won't need bigger fishing fleets because you won't be able to fish inside EU boundaries.

What difference does the colour of a passport matter???

Jeez.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Proper light bulbs

High powered vacuum cleaners

Apples without labels
Wow! Thought I was the only one who couldn't see properly with these current light bulbs!!!
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 12:56 PM

Scientists work in one system. Far easier.

As a tourist I don't think I should have to do homework to the extent of learining a whole new set of measurements. They bring money to the UK and should be welcomed, not examined on attainment.
Boundaries dear Ted have two sides. You do not cross into "the other side" without permission.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

10-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Oddly, we never went metric out on the golf course!

No metric golf irons, no metric sand wedges!

Why was golf singled out to be left alone?

Couldn't be because the USA wanted it that way?

Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Wow! Thought I was the only one who couldn't see properly with these current light bulbs!!!

Well in France we have a choice of at least four different kinds...without counting shape. all eco bulbs. All but one comes on instantly.

Nice to have a choice.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

10-01-2017, 01:08 PM

Well in France we have a choice of at least four different kinds...without counting shape. all eco bulbs. All but one comes on instantly.

Nice to have a choice.
We, in the UK, also have those choices...but the light output is not as good as many would like.

Also, there is an argument that says that current (no pun) bulbs might not be as efficient as many think...(power factor considerations)

Not surprisingly, many people, in the store, seem to want to find a bulb to match the old 100 watt standard.

Makes them better able to see.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:09 PM

I thought all the Leavers were looking forward to a brave new future and here you all are hankering after a long gone past that is not going to come back.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

10-01-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I thought all the Leavers were looking forward to a brave new future and here you all are hankering after a long gone past that is not going to come back.
Many things don't need to come back.

We never put them away in the first place.!.

Tedc
Berkshire, UK

10-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Scientists work in one system. Far easier.

As a tourist I don't think I should have to do homework to the extent of learining a whole new set of measurements. They bring money to the UK and should be welcomed, not examined on attainment.
Boundaries dear Ted have two sides. You do not cross into "the other side" without permission.
You might not have noticed that the more powerful Countries do not always, if ever, seek permission before crossing boundaries.

As for the tourists, I believe that the tourists really ought to find out about the customs and systems employed in the country which he/she shall visit.

Which side of the road to drive on, what measurement systems are in place, what money to use, I could go on for ever.

It's for the visitor to find out what's needed.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top