Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 03:01 PM

Re: Hair and chemo and to wig or not

I think looking at the links I might go for a combination of blue wig for special occasions, loved the one Katie Perry was wearing in ujs first link ! And a scarf for everyday wear, school runs etc. Really like some of the designs Meg posted.

It could almost be fun if a get a few options to wear.

And as my husband has said no grey to worry about either.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Some ideas here Julie...

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/...s-what-to-wear

I know you sew, I would be tempted to buy some fabric and make my own scarf and maybe a skirt to match

https://www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/fa...hop/all-fabric
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 04:25 PM

Thank you Meg, good idea about sewing one, I can get fabric I love that way. I have some blue fabric with bright pink flamingoes on it would be really eye catching and cheery.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 04:27 PM

I'd treat myself to a really lovely wig if I were you Julie. If you look better you'll feel better.

I have a friend with pernicious anaemia who has lost her hair - she's been bald for 7 years now and doubts it will ever come back - she gets little tufts now & again & then they fall out.

She has the loveliest wig and you can't tell it from real hair.
I don't think she bothers wearing it in the house though. At home she wears a pretty cotton scarf.

Take hope in the fact that your hair will return Julie.

Just out of curiosity have you heard of a cold cap?
I read about it years ago. Apparently if you wear this cold cap on your head while receiving treatment not so many damaging cells get to the hair follicles and you keep your hair.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 04:30 PM

I was fortunate in that although my hair thinned and was in terrible condition (as were my nails) while having chemo. I did manage to keep it, maybe because I only managed eleven of the thirty weeks treatment I should have had.

Years ago, when working I suffered badly from alopecia and had large bald patches and lost all of the hair on the back of my head. As I still had some on top, so when it was windy I would walk around holding my hair down over the bald area. Thankfully, I couldn't see myself from the back. My hair would grow back white and like a baby's, but eventually returned to my natural fair colouring. This went on for years and in the end I ignored it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-11-2017, 04:39 PM

My nails are a mess too thankfully they make false ones so I still have a lovely manicure but with stuck on nails. They actually allow me to have longer nails than I can usually grow so I'm really happy with them. Unless I have one pop off at a rather in opportune moment.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think looking at the links I might go for a combination of blue wig for special occasions, loved the one Katie Perry was wearing in ujs first link ! And a scarf for everyday wear, school runs etc. Really like some of the designs Meg posted.

It could almost be fun if a get a few options to wear.

And as my husband has said no grey to worry about either.
Plus you can choose the hair/style you always wanted. Just don't go for the Brian May look.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

02-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Plus you can choose the hair/style you always wanted. Just don't go for the Brian May look.
Ive always had that crazy curl look long dogs so that's always been acheivable

My dream is an easy straight do I think although I'm of the opinion we tend to get the hair that suits us really so curls are me.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 06:27 PM

As a bloke I decided to shave the blooming lot off before it started to fall out, as well as the droopy moustache.............not that you have that option.

My wife and me used to have our own shop selling afro Caribbean skin and haircare products as well as wigs and extensions.

Prices for good human hair wigs can be steep but synthetic fun wigs are very cheap, change your hair colour daily if you like.

If you are that way inclined you could sew hair extensions inside or outside a head scarf or hat to keep any irritation low, while giving the impression of have a full head of hair.
HERE is hair weft, a string of hair like a grass skirt.

Just a few ideas for you to play around with, hope everything is going well.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Julie, I think I would go for a wig. The chemo I was on I was told that I wouldn’t lose my hair but it may thin somewhat. However I had a bad allergic reaction at my last IV on Monday so they are going to have to change my treatment. So who knows now! If necessary I will go for a wig something like my current style and colour. I don’t like to stand out, but we are all different!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top