Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:02 AM

Re: Why Won't You Walk Away, Mrs May?

It's the self-important few,all with hidden accounts,trying to make history. NO. If they really gave a hoot,this whole 'Brexit' [dear Lord,how I hate that ridiculous non-word] could have been avoided by ensuring GB got a decent and EQUAL say,in the first place. But no-drain our finances,stick all their unwanted immigrants here,steal our fishing waters,give us NO say in anything-then bugger off laughing...ok...now try it with 'Murca-coz we're OUT!
...and don't pretend you don't want to sell the UK your manky Renaults,VW's,Beko washing machines,etc,etc-we LOVE driving Austin Allegros,DON'T we chaps! Chaps? OI! ...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Pug ->
It's the self-important few,all with hidden accounts,trying to make history. NO. If they really gave a hoot,this whole 'Brexit' [dear Lord,how I hate that ridiculous non-word] could have been avoided by ensuring GB got a decent and EQUAL say,in the first place. But no-drain our finances,stick all their unwanted immigrants here,steal our fishing waters,give us NO say in anything-then bugger off laughing...ok...now try it with 'Murca-coz we're OUT!
...and don't pretend you don't want to sell the UK your manky Renaults,VW's,Beko washing machines,etc,etc-we LOVE driving Austin Allegros,DON'T we chaps! Chaps? OI! ...
I agree with the above (apart from the Austin Allegro bit). If we had not allowed them to treat us like idiots in the first place, there would have been no need to leave. Being part of Europe was a good idea in theory but not in practice.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree with the above (apart from the Austin Allegro bit). If we had not allowed them to treat us like idiots in the first place, there would have been no need to leave. Being part of Europe was a good idea in theory but not in practice.
I have to agree Longdogs, and if the arrogant ruling elite of the EU had even offered a few crumbs to Cameron when he went there with the begging bowl instead of telling him to p**s off, there is a good chance the vote would have gone their way.

As it is, their complete arrogance and disdain for Britain was the reason that swayed the decision for many of us, and the more they stick their nose in the air now, the more pleased I am that we are leaving.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I have to agree Longdogs, and if the arrogant ruling elite of the EU had even offered a few crumbs to Cameron when he went there with the begging bowl instead of telling him to p**s off, there is a good chance the vote would have gone their way.

As it is, their complete arrogance and disdain for Britain was the reason that swayed the decision for many of us, and the more they stick their nose in the air now, the more pleased I am that we are leaving.
Exactly. Every time I see the likes of Barnier, I remember why I voted Leave.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
What is everyone so afraid of? Why does the mere mention of walking away from these fake negotiations and operating under WTO rules, result in Remainers holding their hands in their heads and shouting that we are doomed! that we are heading over a cliff edge!.
Exactly.

There are no negotiations.

Mrs Mayhem keeps trying to make offers; Barmier keeps refusing them and, what's more, makes no offers himself.

It's an absolute nonsense.

The country voted to leave the EU. There was nothing on the voting sheet about negotiations. I, and I believe the majority of people, voted to simply leave the EU; to stop paying their 'membership fees' and to stop following their diktats.

Surely the stupid woman can see that the EU are not going to agree anything at all. They are trying to punish us for daring to leave their little empire and, at the same time, discouraging anyone else from thinking about leaving.

If we had a strong leader, we would have walked away by now and paid them nothing.

Then, when the consequences hit home, they would have come scuttling back cap in hand asking US for a trade deal.

How much longer is this pantomime going to continue?
Flicker
France
Flicker is female  Flicker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 12:02 PM

What the UK does not seem to understand is gthat you are not negotiating with a country which has the right to change its mind or bend to circumstance.
It is negotiating with a set of rules agreed by 28 countries including the UK.

and more specifically to Brexit it is negotiating with a set of rules agreed by 27 countries.
Barnier is merely putting those rules into practice; He has no legal right to change them.
What the UK wants is that he does.
and what I don't get is that the UK seems to forget what those rules are and tries constantly to redefine them. To assume the EU will bend them for the UK.
The EU cannot and will not. There is no reason to and doing so would mean no one in the EU could ever again know that what they decided will be carried out.

As for leaving with no deal here are some effects of that:

Since this would mean WTO tariffs on everything the UK imports and exports, every lorry at every post and airport and the Channel Tunnel would have to be checked for how many of whatever goods is being transported and the appropriate fee charged. There are thousands of goods at different tariffs. The appropriate fee would be somewhere buried in a rather large book of sums to be charged.
Meanwhile, live animals and all other perishables would be stuck at ports for possibly days.

Since the UK is allowed to fly in and out of the country (licenced to fly) because it has agreements concerning safety and identity (planes' parts must be over 50% of EU origin is one) then all planes in and out of the UK would be grounded until a new licence is granted...if it is. It is called the Open Skies policy if you want to read up on it.

Then the UK pound would seriously tank. Everything you manage to get to UK consumers would be vastly more expensive.

The source of many UK medicines is the EU. Because you would no longer be licenced to receive them you would not get them.

The remaining small percentage of inward investment that is left even today would stop. Your competitiveness would disappear both because of the drop in the value of the pound and because over time your production capacity will fall. That leads to unemployment.

companies which employ tens of thousands of people will move to the EU. They have already said so and frankly I wouldn't call their bluff; they have to make a profit.

So the rise in the jobless would mean a run on benefits, leaving little money for other spends by the govt. and a fall in tax take. Far lower spending equals less business turnover and shops going put of business even faster than now. More unemployment.

Right after "just walking away" all goods would have to be assigned a tariff according to WTO rules. Meat and dairy products would overnight go up over 20% on all imports and be 20% more expensive to others.

All trade deals you now have would cease to exist overnight.

Your national security would be in serious trouble since a lot of it is coordinated thru the EU.

So the EU knows you are bluffing. But go ahead. Have a hissy fit. Stick it to them. Stomp out the door. Good luck.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 12:28 PM

Calm down dear. It's only a discussion.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-07-2018, 12:36 PM

Oh dear. See what you have done now Shrops.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Exactly.

There are no negotiations.

Mrs Mayhem keeps trying to make offers; Barmier keeps refusing them and, what's more, makes no offers himself.

It's an absolute nonsense.

The country voted to leave the EU. There was nothing on the voting sheet about negotiations. I, and I believe the majority of people, voted to simply leave the EU; to stop paying their 'membership fees' and to stop following their diktats.

Surely the stupid woman can see that the EU are not going to agree anything at all. They are trying to punish us for daring to leave their little empire and, at the same time, discouraging anyone else from thinking about leaving.

If we had a strong leader, we would have walked away by now and paid them nothing.

Then, when the consequences hit home, they would have come scuttling back cap in hand asking US for a trade deal.

How much longer is this pantomime going to continue?
Hi

The EU have offered a Free Trade Agreement, the Canada Style agreement, we have said we want more, they are sticking to their stance.

May has stated our Red Lines, No Customs Union, no Single Market, No ECJ.

That is a hard Brexit and a simple Free Trade Agreement is what is the result, it is what we want to negotiate ourselves with other Countries.

The problem is all the other bits and pieces that everyone forgot about, and these will affect us.

The thing is now a mess and I think we have just wasted 2 years instead of getting everything in place.

I find it annoying that we are paying the EU around £18 Billion for a Transition Period which we have had to ask for.

I have no idea at all how this will pan out now, even our own Cabinet cannot agree

I do not however think the EU will come running, many EU Countries will only be marginally affected, I may be wrong, but it only takes one Country to object.

Ireland in particular are saying no to everything.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-07-2018, 12:47 PM

I agree with Ireland.

I agree with Barmier.

Now can we walk away please, Mrs Maybe?

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top