Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 02:15 PM

Re: How do you.

I have just phoned the council,regarding my green waste,the bin costs £29,and a yearly fee of £68......the bad news is..,,,over 750 residents on waiting list,to get one of these bins,..
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 03:41 PM

We just got our brown bin and kitchen caddy for garden and food waste

Free of charge, fortnightly collections

Only ours will be forever empty lol

We have so much grass that it would take 5 bins to take a cut and I don't do food waste

We mulch the grass in good weather and in the bad, we nip across the road and disperse it in a drainage field ( field that takes flood water of the higher land so isn't used for pasture or crops )
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 06:40 PM

I take our garden waste to the recycling centre which is free at the moment. Those that don't drive can pay a private company to take it, I don't know how much that costs but I know the council feel left out and are trying to close the private service down.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 06:52 PM

We have garden waste bins here, they cost £50+ a year, most of my waste is coming from nextdoor's overgrown hedge. I can't afford to pay for a bin so will have to take it to the tip unless my wasband will do it.

What I don't understand is if they get our waste (in a bin we have to pay for)and turn it into compost why can't we have it back as compost as we pay for them to collect it?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
We have a Brown bin for Garden Waste, which is collected every fortnight, cost nothing.
Don't you pay council tax?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
We have garden waste bins here, they cost £50+ a year, most of my waste is coming from nextdoor's overgrown hedge. I can't afford to pay for a bin so will have to take it to the tip unless my wasband will do it.

What I don't understand is if they get our waste (in a bin we have to pay for)and turn it into compost why can't we have it back as compost as we pay for them to collect it?

Do they turn it all into compost,Tessa?..i have no idea,..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

06-07-2018, 07:56 PM

I have just googled,and read,councils turn our green waste into compost, then sell it,....it's all about money!.they have the facilities, to turn it into compost.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 12:18 PM

I shred all mine. My hubby has to lug it out the garage for me and set it up, but then there is no stopping me! All the chippings are caught in a refuse sack and I leave it to die down for a year then I use them as mulch around my plants.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 12:34 PM

We shred and compost a lot of our own garden waste too but we have a large lawn so there are too many clippings to compost, so that's mainly what goes in our bin, plus of course and thorny stems or plants otherwise undesireable in the compost such as weeds or heavily seeded flower heads.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I have just googled,and read,councils turn our green waste into compost, then sell it,....it's all about money!.they have the facilities, to turn it into compost.
Our council give it away FOC

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top