Join for free
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 05:55 PM

Bees

I don't know if its just me but during the heat of the last few weeks the bees especially Bumbles seemed to have been absent,its now cooled off a bit and they seem to be out and about in numbers,do they suffer with heat? any one else notice it?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 06:19 PM

Re: Bees

Originally Posted by caricature ->
I don't know if its just me but during the heat of the last few weeks the bees especially Bumbles seemed to have been absent,its now cooled off a bit and they seem to be out and about in numbers,do they suffer with heat? any one else notice it?
I think so, I know they get exhausted and you're supposed to give them sugar water to revive them. Perhaps they're trying to keep cool.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 07:20 PM

I just read this:

Bee behavior is affected by temperature. They rarely work when the temperature is below 57oF or above 100oF. They cannot fly when the temperature is below 55oF. On very hot days, bees cluster outside unshaded hives and do not work.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2018, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think so, I know they get exhausted and you're supposed to give them sugar water to revive them. Perhaps they're trying to keep cool.
Awww I never knew that!!
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 09:06 PM

I seem to have a ' nest ' or what bees have just outside my back door, there is a deep crack in the path and constant visits by bees, disappearing into and coming out of this crack,the are harmless, just going about their business
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 10:51 PM

Its those stripey jumpers they wear... way too hot for this weather

I hope they are ok though... we need bees.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2018, 06:09 PM

Plenty of bees all over my large Hebe plants. My problem is keeping the dogs away from the plants. Boxers faces can swell up alarmingly when they are stung. Causing me to panic like hell
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2018, 08:27 PM

We went to RHS Rosemoor on Tuesday. It was a bit overcast but still very warm. OMG, I have never seen so many bees in one place. They were everywhere. We bought a couple of plants and had to make sure we didn't take any into the car with us.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top