Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 05:47 PM

Re: Garlic

Love garlic.
I also use it to discourage deer and rabbits from eating flowers.
Good for vampires too!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:22 PM

ooooo my husband and I love garlic. I cook with it all the time. I'm glad we both like it or we wouldn't want to go near each other lol. Someone mentioned lazy garlic, I always keep a jar of that in my cupboard. Garlic has some fantastic health benefits like lowering cholesterol, BP and blood sugars.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
ooooo my husband and I love garlic. I cook with it all the time. I'm glad we both like it or we wouldn't want to go near each other lol. Someone mentioned lazy garlic, I always keep a jar of that in my cupboard. Garlic has some fantastic health benefits like lowering cholesterol, BP and blood sugars.

All good for what ails me LQ.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
[/B]

All good for what ails me LQ.
might help to cook with it too Nom, I throw some in my homemade soups and stews. Just don't be kissing the girls the day after or you BP will go back up lol
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:42 PM

Hi

Why not make your own lazy garlic?

Garlic, blender, into jar, cover with white wine vinegar, job done.

You can also use olive oil to cover, that way you get garlic oil, lovely drizzled.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Why not make your own lazy garlic?

Garlic, blender, into jar, cover with white wine vinegar, job done.

You can also use olive oil to cover, that way you get garlic oil, lovely drizzled.

I can only say

Botulism

No harm as I do make my own chilli and other flavored oils, garlic I stay clear of
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Love garlic and use it all the time.
Sometimes, I roast a whole bulb of it, after a sprinkle of olive oil and salt. Then just sit there and eat the cloves.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2018, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I can only say

Botulism

No harm as I do make my own chilli and other flavored oils, garlic I stay clear of
Hi

Yes, I should have mentioned that.

Botulism is not an issue using the white wine vinegar.

The oil can be an issue if stored for a long time.

I make mine in small quantities and use it within a week.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Garlic is a super food, highly beneficial to us. We should eat plenty of it, incorporating it into as many meals as possible.

It has been used for 1000s of years for it's medicinal properties.

Scientists are even now still trying to work out how it does what it does.

A clove of garlic contains over 300 active compounds all working in harmony to deliver health benefits to our bodies.

By comparison, your average Big Pharma Paracetamol tablet has only ONE active ingredient.

Scientists have only sussed about 5 of garlics compounds AFAIK.

Nature is powerful and should always be our first choice for nutrients and medicines imho.

Ginger is equally powerful and great for any digestive ailments and other things.

My most common way to eat it is to cut lots of thin matchstick pieces of it which I fry with chopped onions, a few raisins and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I then roast a full half of a butternut squash in the oven and for the final 20 mins fill the squash hole with the ginger/onion mix.

It's an incredibly warming and satisfying dish, the ginger sticks giving warmth and bite, the cinnamon giving that lovely moroccon flavour and the raisins a little sweetness.

Eat and much garlic and ginger as you can imo. Keeps blood pressure regulated, kills bugs and viruses, helps stomach/intestinal issues and much much more.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Botulism is not an issue using the white wine vinegar.

The oil can be an issue if stored for a long time.

I make mine in small quantities and use it within a week.
This is correct. Anything stored in oils is a risk for botulism at some point. Storing in vinegars is the foolproof way to preserve but of course that produces pickles.

Have to say though, pickled garlic cloves are incredibly tasty and moorish. I also very much love those large green olives stuffed with pickled garlic cloves. Yum.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top