Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 08:28 AM

Ollie Robbins ?

When Theresa May became prime minister she created a new department – the Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU) – to lead negotiations with Brussels.

But today, the prime minister formally confirmed she was stripping the department, now run by Dominic Raab, of much of its responsibility.

Instead, the Europe Unit of the Cabinet Office, led by Olly Robbins, will have “overall responsibility for the preparation and conduct of the negotiations”.

May also said for the remaining time, she will “lead” the negotiations with the EU.

The announcement was made just as Raab appeared alongside Robbins at the Commons Brexit committee. He insisted the changes were “to make sure there is one team, one chain of command” and did not mind at all.
- ADVERTISEMENT -

Jenny Chapman, Labour’s shadow Brexit minister, immediately mocked the new Brexit secretary. “Dominic Raab has been sidelined by the prime minister before he has even had the chance to get his feet under the table,” she said.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 08:45 AM

Re: Ollie Robbins ?

Hard to argue with Jenny Chapman's assessment but that leaves us now with two remainers in charge of the whole shebang. I must admit to defending Mrs May since she took power believing that she would not let us down with Brexit, but since David Davis resigned even my confidence in her has been eroded to the point where I do believe we are now being sold down the river....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Hard to argue with Jenny Chapman's assessment but that leaves us now with two remainers in charge of the whole shebang. I must admit to defending Mrs May since she took power believing that she would not let us down with Brexit, but since David Davis resigned even my confidence in her has been eroded to the point where I do believe we are now being sold down the river....
I agree Barry, I was prepared to give May the benefit of the doubt because of the position she found herself in after Cameron's cowardly departure.
I now feel May is ill-informed and blinkered and will not get us the best deal . It looks like Dominic Raab has been sidelined like Davis was and is a 'token leave' negotiator. We need someone who knows the workings of the EU backwards and a strong pro leaver like Daniel Hannan in charge of our negotiations.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 11:16 AM

I also agree. Something is not sitting right in all of this, and she seems to be ringing her own 'death knell' .

The whole situation is now reaching boiling point, (in more ways than one) and when a country becomes so fragmented , it allows outside forces and influence to cause trouble and we've seen that too many times in recent years in other countries.

Blame the Russians ?? No, blame our own political parties.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 12:14 PM

He does seem to be averse to giving answers when asked, so not someone i would entrust to carry out Brexit .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Hi

My view is that it is less to do with her being a Remainer and more to do with her being a control freak.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 01:12 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Barry and May over this. I lost confidence in TM months ago when I could see that she was all give, give, give. Barnier took and demanded more, which she obliged him with.

Why, after Raab spoke up in Brussels and told the Commission that Britain had put forward a workable white paper and it was now down to them to stop being so intransigent, has Theresa May quickly sidelined him for that jumped up civil servant, Ollie Robbins, her snake-oil co-conspirator in the Chequers debacle. Now, we have two Remainers negotiating and it does not bode well.
Did perchance, Barnier, Juncker and co put in a quick phone call to TM and tell her they were not happy with Raab? (dissent by the UK will not be tolerated)!!

This is the same woman who promised Leave voters that a Brexiteer would be in charge of all negotiations for us to leave. God help us, by the time she's finished, our Red Lines will be the colour of ruddy Lip Balm!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 03:24 PM

So, Barry, is she or is she not a scumbag member of the 'nasty party' ???
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
So, Barry, is she or is she not a scumbag member of the 'nasty party' ???
That's about your normal level of debate just name calling, you've obviously nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2018, 04:40 PM

That's about your normal level of debate just name calling, you've obviously nothing worthwhile to add to the conversation.

I take your reluctance to respond as a definite yes then shall I ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top