Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 02:05 PM

Are DVR machines worth the money?

Currently I have a 500GB HDD plugged into my TV onto which I can record timed TV programmes.

I also have an Amazon Fire Stick for streaming TV as my Sony TV won't recognise my wi-fi yet the Stick does.

Is there much point in getting a DVR machine? Would I be able to use it as the main tuner for the TV and pause live TV and would it be more versatile than my current set-up?

I don't want to spend too much money and Freeview is enough for me; I don't subscribe to any packages except Netflix which my Fire Stick handles, or my iPad.

I see a couple of Panasonic models at around £170.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 02:23 PM

Re: Are DVR machines worth the money?

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Currently I have a 500GB HDD plugged into my TV onto which I can record timed TV programmes.

I also have an Amazon Fire Stick for streaming TV as my Sony TV won't recognise my wi-fi yet the Stick does.

Is there much point in getting a DVR machine? Would I be able to use it as the main tuner for the TV and pause live TV and would it be more versatile than my current set-up?

I don't want to spend too much money and Freeview is enough for me; I don't subscribe to any packages except Netflix which my Fire Stick handles, or my iPad.

Not for me. I rarely watch anything on television.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 03:41 PM

A proper PVR/DVR is a great thing imo. Stuff that comes with TVs is very limiting.

A PVR/DVR yes, would be the primary decoding device for your terrestrial TV. Your TV would just display the TV pictures the box outputs.

I switched to a MIRACLEBOX PREMIUM TWIN HD box a few years ago. It's a brilliant little thing. It has a pretty small footprint, just a little larger than a WII console, smaller than an XBOX console.

It has the capacity to take up to 3 separate tuners inside it. The tuner remember is the gizmo that decodes the signal and it can be a Freeview Tuner or a Freesat Tuner or a Cable TV Tuner or any mix of the 3.

Having multiple tuners of the same type allows you to record lots of programmes simultaneously.

As I only have Freeview where I live I opted for my box to be fitted with 3 Freeview tuners, yes 3 !!

Each tuner allows the box to decode transmitted programmes on a given "multiplex". Don't want to get too technical here but a multiplex is a group of TV channels that your local transmitter is broadcasting on the same frequencies, in kind of a group. So there's a multiplex with the BBC channels on it, another multiplex with ITV stuff and so on.

ALL digi boxes work this way. The Tuners inside them can only focus on one multiplex/group of channels. That's why you need multiple tuners to record lots of programmes simultaneously.

So back to the Miraclebox with its 3 x Freeview tuners.

That means the Miraclebox can focus on 3 separate multiplexs/groups at the same time. They might all focus on the same group or focus on 3 separate groups, depends what channels you select and what programmes you want to record.

What I can tell you is this. The miraclebox with its fast technology and electronics is capable of recording 3 to 4 separate programmes on EACH multiplex at the same time.

So if there were only ONE tuner in that box it would still be able to record 3-4 programmes at the same time BUT ONLY IF all those programmes were in the same multiplex/group.

Having THREE such Freeview tuners means I can record up to 12 separate programmes simultaneously spread across up to 3 different multiplexes/groups. Each tuner focuses on one group.

Now that's pretty awesome I can tell you.

This is lightyears beyond the pathetic Sky Plus boxes which have always imo had old technology in them.

It means I will NEVER miss a programme again that I wanted to be recorded unless I'm really unlucky.

Naturally the box can pause live TV, all these PVR/DVR boxes can do that.

I can set up lots of series link recordings, and have done which means my hard disk is full of episodes of Vera and NCIS that my wife wants to watch.

The amount of settings and configuration available are pretty huge and one benefit of this box is that it is "Open Source" and based on Linux.

Open Source means that the software, the operating system and thus all the programme guides and functionality are NOT hardcoded as they would be with say a Panasonic or Sky box.

Open Source means that ANYONE can develop an operating system for it and develop sexy looking programme guides and great features. As a customer then you can pick and choose which of those developed operating systems you want to use. I chose the one called OPENVIX. If you Google it you'll see it has a great following and tons of support. Any issues are dealt with quickly and new updates put out.

It all depends what you are looking for really.

I'm more of a technical person and like to tinker with settings and features, refining programme searching, having the ability to match exact or partial programme names and specify which channels to record them on. This box suits me well.

Others might want a more basic "sausage fingers" type box. The kind of person who doesn't like using a PC/laptop but gets on ok with an iPAD with its much reduced functionality and ability to get at the innards.

Each to their own really.

Nothing more frustrating though than a PVR/DVR that can't reliably pick up and record the programmes you want to record on a regular basis. The ones for example where you ask it to record say "NCIS" and then a new series starts up which is called "New - NCIS" in the programme guide resulting in your box not picking it up.

Functionality is important imo.

So is disk space. I like to keep a collection of my favourite films and TV programmes. The Miraclebox lets me define folders like a computer so I have a film folders for Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Kung-Fu, Classics, Comedy and so on.

I opted for the 1TB hard disk so I can store oodles of stuff.

Anyway, the bottom line is yes I would get a PVR/DVR, always. I do not have, nor would I ever have, a Sky box. Freeview all the way for me and if I want to watch "box sets" then I buy box sets rather than pay subscriptions to the likes of Amazon Prime, Netflix etc which just give you a viewing, not a DVD.

Each to their own. I see subscriptions as a ball and chain around my ankle. Money for old rope for which you get nothing that is actually tangible.

Call me old fashioned if you like . . . . but I'm an old-fashioned technical chap without a mortgage, with no debts, nothing bought on hire/HP and who retired from mainstream work at 48. I have never looked back !

GL whatever you choose to do.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
A proper PVR/DVR is a great thing imo. Stuff that comes with TVs is very limiting.

A PVR/DVR yes, would be the primary decoding device for your terrestrial TV. Your TV would just display the TV pictures the box outputs.

I switched to a MIRACLEBOX PREMIUM TWIN HD box a few years ago. It's a brilliant little thing. It has a pretty small footprint, just a little larger than a WII console, smaller than an XBOX console.

It has the capacity to take up to 3 separate tuners inside it. The tuner remember is the gizmo that decodes the signal and it can be a Freeview Tuner or a Freesat Tuner or a Cable TV Tuner or any mix of the 3.

Having multiple tuners of the same type allows you to record lots of programmes simultaneously.

As I only have Freeview where I live I opted for my box to be fitted with 3 Freeview tuners, yes 3 !!

Each tuner allows the box to decode transmitted programmes on a given "multiplex". Don't want to get too technical here but a multiplex is a group of TV channels that your local transmitter is broadcasting on the same frequencies, in kind of a group. So there's a multiplex with the BBC channels on it, another multiplex with ITV stuff and so on.

ALL digi boxes work this way. The Tuners inside them can only focus on one multiplex/group of channels. That's why you need multiple tuners to record lots of programmes simultaneously.

So back to the Miraclebox with its 3 x Freeview tuners.

That means the Miraclebox can focus on 3 separate multiplexs/groups at the same time. They might all focus on the same group or focus on 3 separate groups, depends what channels you select and what programmes you want to record.

What I can tell you is this. The miraclebox with its fast technology and electronics is capable of recording 3 to 4 separate programmes on EACH multiplex at the same time.

So if there were only ONE tuner in that box it would still be able to record 3-4 programmes at the same time BUT ONLY IF all those programmes were in the same multiplex/group.

Having THREE such Freeview tuners means I can record up to 12 separate programmes simultaneously spread across up to 3 different multiplexes/groups. Each tuner focuses on one group.

Now that's pretty awesome I can tell you.

This is lightyears beyond the pathetic Sky Plus boxes which have always imo had old technology in them.

It means I will NEVER miss a programme again that I wanted to be recorded unless I'm really unlucky.

Naturally the box can pause live TV, all these PVR/DVR boxes can do that.

I can set up lots of series link recordings, and have done which means my hard disk is full of episodes of Vera and NCIS that my wife wants to watch.

The amount of settings and configuration available are pretty huge and one benefit of this box is that it is "Open Source" and based on Linux.

Open Source means that the software, the operating system and thus all the programme guides and functionality are NOT hardcoded as they would be with say a Panasonic or Sky box.

Open Source means that ANYONE can develop an operating system for it and develop sexy looking programme guides and great features. As a customer then you can pick and choose which of those developed operating systems you want to use. I chose the one called OPENVIX. If you Google it you'll see it has a great following and tons of support. Any issues are dealt with quickly and new updates put out.

It all depends what you are looking for really.

I'm more of a technical person and like to tinker with settings and features, refining programme searching, having the ability to match exact or partial programme names and specify which channels to record them on. This box suits me well.

Others might want a more basic "sausage fingers" type box. The kind of person who doesn't like using a PC/laptop but gets on ok with an iPAD with its much reduced functionality and ability to get at the innards.

Each to their own really.

Nothing more frustrating though than a PVR/DVR that can't reliably pick up and record the programmes you want to record on a regular basis. The ones for example where you ask it to record say "NCIS" and then a new series starts up which is called "New - NCIS" in the programme guide resulting in your box not picking it up.

Functionality is important imo.

So is disk space. I like to keep a collection of my favourite films and TV programmes. The Miraclebox lets me define folders like a computer so I have a film folders for Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Kung-Fu, Classics, Comedy and so on.

I opted for the 1TB hard disk so I can store oodles of stuff.

Anyway, the bottom line is yes I would get a PVR/DVR, always. I do not have, nor would I ever have, a Sky box. Freeview all the way for me and if I want to watch "box sets" then I buy box sets rather than pay subscriptions to the likes of Amazon Prime, Netflix etc which just give you a viewing, not a DVD.

Each to their own. I see subscriptions as a ball and chain around my ankle. Money for old rope for which you get nothing that is actually tangible.

Call me old fashioned if you like . . . . but I'm an old-fashioned technical chap without a mortgage, with no debts, nothing bought on hire/HP and who retired from mainstream work at 48. I have never looked back !

GL whatever you choose to do.
and you call all of that "real"???
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2018, 08:32 PM

I have a Panasonic DVR Recorder DMR- EX773EB , which I purchased a few years ago. Can't remember the amount, but I got it from John Lewis at a reasonable price. I should imagine later models have even more gizmos on them. Mine is great, big hard drive, excellent TV guide, good DVD player, Viera link to my TV, which is also Panasonic. I'd go online to find out what's out there, and compare prices. Good luck!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 11:28 AM

I went with this one: https://manhattan-tv.com/products/ma...ew-hd-recorder.

It seems to do all I want, pause/skip/rewind live TV and record 2 programmes at once. It's just 500Gbs but that's plenty for me. My needs are fairly simple.

It's a British company but the device will no doubt be made in China. £119 from Argos, I haven't actually got it yet but it will be delivered this afternoon. Argos are pretty good about returning items should it be faulty somehow.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2018, 08:57 PM

I went with this one: https://manhattan-tv.com/products/ma...ew-hd-recorder.

It seems to do all I want, pause/skip/rewind live TV and record 2 programmes at once. It's just 500Gbs but that's plenty for me. My needs are fairly simple.

Hmmm well it's a basic piece of kit, pretty similar to the old Sky + boxes of quite a few years ago except the hard disk is bigger.

It only has 2 tuners inside it which will imho be quite restrictive.

If there are 2 programmes that you've asked it to record and they happen to be on at the same time (a VERY common scenario) then you won't be able to watch a 3rd channel UNLESS that channel happens to be on the same multiplex/group as one of the 2 recording programmes. That can get very frustrating in my experience.

You'll have to see how you get on with it so best of luck.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2018, 12:59 AM

I still use my Topfield very occasionally but the fact that any TV program or film broadcast just about anywhere in the world is available almost immediately afterwards on the Internet renders it obsolete.

When I log out of here I will be looking for the latest episode of Lucky Man which I presume goes to air Friday night somewhere.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I still use my Topfield very occasionally but the fact that any TV program or film broadcast just about anywhere in the world is available almost immediately afterwards on the Internet renders it obsolete.

When I log out of here I will be looking for the latest episode of Lucky Man which I presume goes to air Friday night somewhere.
The Toppy was a great bit of kit.

However I prefer to stay on the legal side of watching TV and film.

So whilst what you say may be true, the fact is that the authorities and film/tv providers know perfectly well who is using pirate equipment like Kodi and the like.
People are foolish if they think they don't know.

So they are playing a very dangerous game. They could be prosecuted at any time IF the relevant people decided to go at end customers
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2018, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
So they are playing a very dangerous game. They could be prosecuted at any time IF the relevant people decided to go at end customers
You are obviously unaware of the Dallas Buyers Club case in Australia. It was a debacle for the foreign film industry which tried this. No speculative claims in this country. Better read up on it.

http://theconversation.com/the-dalla...tralians-54612

https://theconversation.com/in-2015-...-winners-52641

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top